Author Topic: GM'ing a game?  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Xelanthol (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • X
GM'ing a game?
« on: November 15, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
If you have a dedicated game master what takes into account what each faction is doing, is it possible to run a game where multiple people play different factions?

I knows aurora 4x is continuous so the game master would do everyone's choices for them and then relay new information...

Also, can you do multiple factions starting on  the same planet? Like earth?

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: GM'ing a game?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »
Many of Steve's games have multiple factions on Earth, and GM'ing a game is certainly possible.

Here's an example.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 12:53:58 PM »
Just be wary of an NPR and a human player on the same planet. It will degenerate into nuclear exchanges withing a couple years.

Offline Xelanthol (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • X
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »
Awesome! I'm planning to have a few of my buddies play as leaders of various major nations. I'm going to turn NPRs off. I imagine (since they are all pretty competitive) they'll go at each other quickly enough.

It'll be more of a story for them, I'll play their advisors and ask them where they want to take their country in the space age. Keep them updated, etc.

Just need to spend some time this winter learning some of the finer details of the game first. I swear I've tried to learn this thing 5 times now, maybe this time it will click.

Offline telegraph

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 06:51:59 AM »
I had a similar idea (but with humans playing not only whole factions, but individual officers too. with full control over commanded property) some time ago, but there was not enough interest in the community to actually start doing it.

Anyway, if you will go public with that type of playing - count me in.

Offline Varee

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
It seem pretty hard to archive as you will run into so many interruption at progress will grind to a halt, and more player, more quickly it will become so slow. I never try it with many player but even me playing 3 frac, it come to part where it so slow i just quit quite quickly.

Offline telegraph

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 01:13:41 PM »
GM does not really need to ask for input on every interrupt. Following general goals and priorities should be enough.

Offline Xelanthol (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • X
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 05:01:53 PM »
Yeah the general idea here is to be more of a roleplay style of game. Hell, I'm not even sure I will tell them I'm using Aurora as the main "engine". In essence I'll be asking them for the general plans for their nations and give them quick updates upon discovery of ruins, etc. for some amount of time-not sure what the increment will be. In the end i'll give them a quick summary of whatever I feel the necessary information is. "Your new mining operation on mars is going quite well, however the chinese have also set up a few automated facilities..."

Ask them for general philosophies concerning ship design, and I'd try my best to whip something up.

No NPRs, however I would probably be playing some high-tech alien race that is interested in earth for some reason (as per usual). See if they would unite against it.

And telegraph, it'll probably be taking place after I finish up my exams around x-mas... Also got to get my research application handed in so I'm busy until then. I wouldn't mind some general game pointers though and could throw you in as a faction if you'd like.

Offline telegraph

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 04:48:01 AM »
splendid :)

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 10:12:56 AM »
I like the idea of the players giving general instructions (ie: "We'd like a heavily armoured ship with fast engines, a year or so of fuel and fast-firing laser turrets", or "We'd like to put asteroid miners somewhere in Sol where there's Mercassium within three years"), as if they were high-level strategic planners.  However, I think they should then receive specific feedback (ship plans, mine numbers, etc) so they can suggest refinements the next time around.  It makes the AARs more interesting for us numbers-obsessed types.

The trick is that even with specific ship plans the high-level planners can only make general recommendations "I think our next generation of ships should be a bit faster and less armoured" and those will be followed somewhat accurately by the GM-controlled ship designers.  Underlings and minions never do exactly what you want them to, after all. Especially in politics. :D

Offline Varee

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 07:41:43 AM »
Interesting , i still think you still need to dedicate a very large amount of time as the number of decision you need to make grow exponentailly but i might be too pesimestic. Anyway it is an interesting idea.