Author Topic: New Alien Arrival (Spoiler)  (Read 7245 times)

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
New Alien Arrival (Spoiler)
« on: April 16, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »
edit
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:33:04 AM by waresky »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:48:11 PM »
This is meant to be a surprise for new players so I have added spoiler tags and changed the title :)

Steve

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:56:34 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
This is meant to be a surprise for new players so I have added spoiler tags and changed the title :oops:

am an ur too "fanatical" supporter...*grin.
please erase this post..better got same as mine "BIG EYES Surprise" for newly playes on 5.1..

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: New Alien Arrival (Spoiler)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 02:01:39 PM »
You know, the title sort of still says it.
Unless that is a feint.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 09:27:20 PM »
Please don't put spoiler information in subject titles.  Note that I haven't read this thread, since I don't want the experience spoiled for me - I'm just replying.  This also means that I won't see any replies that you make in this thread....

John

Offline Jetman123

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 04:13:49 PM »
You got me curious now. I'm unlikely to see the new stuff, since I usually lose interest in my games after doing something moronic two years in. What's this new alien race?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 04:54:39 AM »
Quote from: "Jetman123"
You got me curious now. I'm unlikely to see the new stuff, since I usually lose interest in my games after doing something moronic two years in. What's this new alien race?
[spoiler:3spxsm3r]The new aliens are known as the Invaders and are an extra-galactic race. They arrive in our galaxy via Stable Wormholes that they generate from their home galaxy. They have two new tech systems, which require several supporting background techs that you can learn about from salvaging the wrecks of their ships. This is their third incursion into our galaxy. During the first, they encountered the Precursors, who were an advanced but relatively peaceful race, and attacked them on sight. Fortunately for the Precursors, this initial incursion was relatively small and the Precursors managed to fight them off with heavy losses. They caused a radical change in the outlook of the Precursors and they become extremely militant, focusing all their efforts on ensuring they were never threatened again. To this end, the Precursors built fleets of robot ships with a mission to wipe out all civilizations that showed any sign of being a threat. All their preparation came to nought when the second Invader incursion arrived via a Stable Wormhole in the Precursor home system. The widely dispersed Precursor robot fleets could not intervene in time and the Invaders wiped out the Precursors. The fleets of Precursor ships were left without central control and either remained in orbit over the ruins of their last victims or were trapped in systems without access to jump-capable ships. The Precursors didn't go down without a fight and inflicted massive losses on the Invaders, who called off their invasion. Now the Invaders have built up their forces again and are about to launch their third and largest incursion.[/spoiler:3spxsm3r]

Steve

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:03:54 AM »
Quote from: "Jetman123"
[spoiler:6iqcu4lg]The new aliens are known as the Invaders and are an extra-galactic race. They arrive in our galaxy via Stable Wormholes that they generate from their home galaxy. They have two new tech systems, which require several supporting background techs that you can learn about from salvaging the wrecks of their ships. This is their third incursion into our galaxy. During the first, they encountered the Precursors, who were an advanced but relatively peaceful race, and attacked them on sight. Fortunately for the Precursors, this initial incursion was relatively small and the Precursors managed to fight them off with heavy losses. They caused a radical change in the outlook of the Precursors and they become extremely militant, focusing all their efforts on ensuring they were never threatened again. To this end, the Precursors built fleets of robot ships with a mission to wipe out all civilizations that showed any sign of being a threat. All their preparation came to nought when the second Invader incursion arrived via a Stable Wormhole in the Precursor home system. The widely dispersed Precursor robot fleets could not intervene in time and the Invaders wiped out the Precursors. The fleets of Precursor ships were left without central control and either remained in orbit over the ruins of their last victims or were trapped in systems without access to jump-capable ships. The Precursors didn't go down without a fight and inflicted massive losses on the Invaders, who called off their invasion. Now the Invaders have built up their forces again and are about to launch their third and largest incursion.[/spoiler:6iqcu4lg]

Steve
[spoiler:6iqcu4lg]and found me..human  :mrgreen:  a very DUMB race and uttelry un-prepared..Arf!!...LOL[/spoiler:6iqcu4lg]

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:13:30 PM »
[spoiler:1p2b18f3]Invaders are tough!!  PA panels that can flush 300+ points of damage in less than a minute.  Plasma Torps that travel at 80,000 kps and recycle quickly.  and they appear to reproduce in a similair manor to Swarm!! (just had 2 popup around wreckage from their first incursion into Sol system and the wormhole is picketed!!)

Missile fighter swarms have worked best for my in killing them.  Have to alpha wave them or the PA panels just dump the damage.  

Plasma Torps are only seen on thermals for a short time and so far never on active so point defense is useless.  

Since they spawn, salvage ships have became much more important stategicly.[/spoiler:1p2b18f3]
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 03:40:43 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
[spoiler:3dg1wpe5]Invaders are tough!!  PA panels that can flush 300+ points of damage in less than a minute.  Plasma Torps that travel at 80,000 kps and recycle quickly.  and they appear to reproduce in a similair manor to Swarm!! (just had 2 popup around wreckage from their first incursion into Sol system and the wormhole is picketed!!)

Missile fighter swarms have worked best for my in killing them.  Have to alpha wave them or the PA panels just dump the damage.  

Plasma Torps are only seen on thermals for a short time and so far never on active so point defense is useless.  

Since they spawn, salvage ships have became much more important stategicly.[/spoiler:3dg1wpe5]
[spoiler:3dg1wpe5]You made the connection to PA Panels then :). The absorption shields also have some of the disadvantages of PA Panels as well. As you no doubt have guessed, the Invaders are based on the SFB Andromedans. Plasma Torps should show up on active. They did in testing because I was using point defence missiles to shoot them down. They don't spawn from wrecks though.[/spoiler:3dg1wpe5]

Steve

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 03:47:57 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
[spoiler:3336etpn]Invaders are tough!!  PA panels that can flush 300+ points of damage in less than a minute.  Plasma Torps that travel at 80,000 kps and recycle quickly.  and they appear to reproduce in a similair manor to Swarm!! (just had 2 popup around wreckage from their first incursion into Sol system and the wormhole is picketed!!)

Since they spawn, salvage ships have became much more important stategicly.[/spoiler:3336etpn]
[spoiler:3336etpn]You made the connection to PA Panels then :D

Already figured that I was wrong about the spawning.

Plasma Torps are only showing on thermal and not active for me.  Point defense, missiles or turrets, have not engaged incoming torps.[/spoiler:3336etpn]
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 03:58:33 PM »
I'll look into that when I get home. Has anyone else been able to detect PT on active?

Btw, as far as the code is concerned, PT are just missiles. They aren't a separate type of object. Are you detecting missiles OK on actives?

Steve

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 04:23:46 PM »
OK this is a little weird.  I quit looking for active contacts with the torps when original size 4's only showed on thermal.  After reviewing the gamelog it looks like the current size 32's are showing on active scans but are not being engaged by PD suites.  Granted my best fire control can only track at 20k and the torps are travelling at 80k+, I'd at least expect to see a message stating a 0% chance to hit.  Not getting one, and counter missiles have refused to fire.  I'd come to the hopeful conclusion that PD would be restricted to lasers only (ala phasers reducing Plasma damage in SFB).

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 08:38:55 AM »
Stranger and stranger...

Used my PDC counter missiles offensively and now they are functioning defensively....  Active sensors have been on the whole time.  If and when I see a pattern I'll report it.  For now disreguard as a bug, this may be something in my fire control setups that I'm not recognizing yet.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »
Could somebody explain how the Absorption shields work? Do they recharge until you have knocked them flat and then that is it, they never come back up? I am fighting some Invaders now and they are taking everything I can throw at them - scary biscuits :)