Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 349115 times)

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2018, 08:02:43 AM »
Given the changes in species traits, will we be seeing more potential change factors in gene modding? Like traits that let you increase productivity or population density?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2018, 08:36:36 AM »
Given the changes in species traits, will we be seeing more potential change factors in gene modding? Like traits that let you increase productivity or population density?

That sounds powerful :) but interesting idea.

The following users thanked this post: Slatibartfas

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2018, 10:38:43 AM »
It'd probably need a fair bit of balancing to make it work right, quite possibly up to and including forcing trade offs between productivity and population density.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »
In C# Aurora, civilians will not send colonists to any colony with 0 population. This means you need to start your own populated colonies, but prevents the above situation.

This is actually exactly what I was going to suggest as an easy fix that also gives us a reason to build and use colony ships, so that's nice.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2018, 11:51:17 AM »
If fuel efficiency scaled with % of speed as well, to offer some benefit to operating on reduced velocity, that'd cover the latter. As long as its balanced so that its not superior to an engine built to be run at that slower speed, then it shouldn't have a significant effect on game balance.

This is already in place. . .  sort of.  Whether your ship is travelling at 1 km/s or 1000 km/s, it travels just as far on 1 litre of Sorium.  Fuel efficiency is independent of speed -- and should remain so.

Offline Retropunch

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2018, 11:52:39 AM »
Quote from: Hazard link=topic=9841. msg108087#msg108087 date=1525957363

I'd love to see more ability to gene mod (with a very, very high price) - it's an interesting 'end game' goal, which I'm sure we'll be running into more now that it's going to be a lot more stable over the long term.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »
Multiple species can't share the same population due to different environmental requirements, which affects not just infrastructure but other factors such as manufacturing efficiency. They can also have different characteristics in C# such as production and research bonuses.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't it be fairly trivial in theory ( mathematically at least ) to average weighted for size of population?

A 2 million pop colony with a -20% modifier + a 4 million colony with a +10% modifier becomes a 2*0.8+4*1.1 = 6 million colony with a +0% modifier.

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't it be fairly trivial in theory ( mathematically at least ) to average weighted for size of population?

A 2 million pop colony with a -20% modifier + a 4 million colony with a +10% modifier becomes a 2*0.8+4*1.1 = 6 million colony with a +0% modifier.

My guess would be that while it's easy mathematically, the code isn't written that way, so it'd be a huge change. For example, in the database there's probably a colony table and each row would represent one colony with it's population, species, etc. and making it so that a colony can have multiple species in it would require changing a lot of code. Besides then other things would also probably be more complicated (e.g., picking up colonists--which species do you pick up?) that are easy in theory to fix ("just" add a dropdown to select which species to pick up), but take a lot more programming effort. Just a guess, but my feeling is it's probably accurate.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2018, 04:17:59 AM »
An easier way to manage teams would be nice. At the moment I only recognize if a team has lost one of its members by looking at the commanders screen and see that there are open posts. A warning message like "team incomplete" would be nice. And then if you click on the teams-tab you can only see teams, but not who are in them. Maybe I also want to exchange someone - but that is rather difficult to accomplish because I can only see if someone is in a team when I click on his name in the commanders screen.

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2018, 05:38:43 AM »

An easier way to manage teams would be nice. At the moment I only recognize if a team has lost one of its members by looking at the commanders screen and see that there are open posts. A warning message like "team incomplete" would be nice. And then if you click on the teams-tab you can only see teams, but not who are in them. Maybe I also want to exchange someone - but that is rather difficult to accomplish because I can only see if someone is in a team when I click on his name in the commanders screen.
Teams will not be present in C# aurora right?

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2018, 06:17:54 AM »
Teams will be replaced with ground units or ship components IIRC.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2018, 09:16:28 AM »
Teams will be replaced with ground units or ship components IIRC.

Yes, that is the plan. Geology teams are already gone. Others will be replaced as I code the relevant areas.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2018, 10:15:27 AM »
Yes, that is the plan. Geology teams are already gone. Others will be replaced as I code the relevant areas.

They won't be missed. I recently started a new game, and ferrying around the geology teams... UGH.  ::)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2018, 12:28:57 PM »
Once we get civilians moving minerals around, can we please, please, please get Mass Drivers removed from Civilian Mining Complexes and replaced with auto-generated civilian contracts to move said minerals to the most populous colony in the same system?  I want to raid my enemies' shipping and steal their resources, not watch rocks float past in space with no way to interfere.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2018, 01:02:15 PM »
On that note, it would be interesting to be able to salvage a percentage of the minerals that a destroyed freighter was carrying.