Author Topic: Fighter (and gunboat) Questions  (Read 1859 times)

Offline ShadoCat (OP)

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
Fighter (and gunboat) Questions
« on: December 06, 2009, 11:43:34 PM »
For all questions, when I say fighters, I'm also asking about gunboats.

Can fighters can go through a jump gate?

Can fighters launch immediately upon entry into a new system or does the ship have to wait until the jump effects have resolved?

Can fighters share fuel?  Could you designate one fighter as a fuel carrier to extend the range of a flight of fighters?

Can you put a CIWS system on a fighter and have it target a missile that a fighter gets close enough to?  If so, how quickly can a fighter move from one missile to another?  This is mainly for  curiosity as I'm contemplating a race with fighters but not missiles and I know that other energy weapons would work and have better range than a CIWS.

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Fighter (and gunboat) Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 12:03:05 AM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
For all questions, when I say fighters, I'm also asking about gunboats.

Can fighters can go through a jump gate?
Yes

Can fighters launch immediately upon entry into a new system or does the ship have to wait until the jump effects have resolved?
I think so. I don't remember coding anything to stop them doing that, although they would suffer the same problems as the mothership in terms of weapon and sensor delays.

Can fighters share fuel?  Could you designate one fighter as a fuel carrier to extend the range of a flight of fighters?
Yes, you can have 'tanker' fighters

Can you put a CIWS system on a fighter and have it target a missile that a fighter gets close enough to?  If so, how quickly can a fighter move from one missile to another?  This is mainly for  curiosity as I'm contemplating a race with fighters but not missiles and I know that other energy weapons would work and have better range than a CIWS.
CIWS is a completely automatic system so you can't target it on anything, whether it is on a fighter or a regular ship.

Steve

Offline ShadoCat (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 05:14:31 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I think so. I don't remember coding anything to stop them doing that, although they would suffer the same problems as the mothership in terms of weapon and sensor delays.

The reason for crash launching it to insert a fighting force.  It also gives any defender a lot more targets to have to deal with.

I see two types of JP assaults with fighters:

If you have time, build a jump gate and then send in all of the fighters with an armored, shielded sensor platform.

If you don't have the time, send in squads of jump carrier with two carriers, with a short squad that has one or two armored sensors platforms.

I'm also thinking of mobile air bases instead of ships.  These could be towed when speed is needed but would be just mobile enough to transit with the jump carrier.

Another question: can you ship crated fighters as cargo (as you could in SF) or do you need carriers to resupply your assault fleet?

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »
[Another question: can you ship crated fighters as cargo (as you could in SF) or do you need carriers to resupply your assault fleet?
There is no direct equivalent of crated fighters in Aurora. The options are either to build them near the front line or use some type of light carrier to transport them. I am probably going to change back to fighter/missile/construction factories for the next DB release because I am not entirely happy with the new system. I'll keep the new screen and I'll keep the multiple projects and percentage assignments but I will split it into three sections. It probably won't be much different as you will still have maximum production amounts for construction, missile and fighter and capacity available figures. They just won't overlap and you will be able to increase one without having to increase the others.

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »
[Another question: can you ship crated fighters as cargo (as you could in SF) or do you need carriers to resupply your assault fleet?
There is no direct equivalent of crated fighters in Aurora. The options are either to build them near the front line or use some type of light carrier to transport them. I am probably going to change back to fighter/missile/construction factories for the next DB release because I am not entirely happy with the new system. I'll keep the new screen and I'll keep the multiple projects and percentage assignments but I will split it into three sections. It probably won't be much different as you will still have maximum production amounts for construction, missile and fighter and capacity available figures. They just won't overlap and you will be able to increase one without having to increase the others.

Steve
As one of those who was keen for the change in the first place.  I have to say that I agree with your assessment.  It hasn't really improved things much.  Glad to hear that you will keep the multiple projects though  :D
Welchbloke

Offline ShadoCat (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 01:47:34 AM »

Requiring carriers is probably more realistic,  just not as convenient.  :)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 08:36:08 AM »

Requiring carriers is probably more realistic,  just not as convenient.  :-)

John