Author Topic: Good time increment technique?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Jumpp (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • J
Good time increment technique?
« on: November 18, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »
So you've got a fleet moving through enemy territory, and there are enemy fleets on radar. The distances are pretty great so you're doing an hour at a step.

The enemy get nearer, and one of your hour-long steps gets shortened to 15 seconds. And the next dozen or so do as well. Which means you've now got about a dozen salvos headed toward your fleet. These were fired from about 200m km, but you don't know for sure how fast these missiles are, so they could be anywhere from one to four hours away.

You're not worried about the missiles. The enemy fleet is small and you're confident that you've got more than enough missile defense to stop all the incoming. You want to just get it done as quick as possible. What do you do?

I've found that if I use 20-minute increments, the missiles can sometimes impact my ships without the point defenses going off. But for getting through a few hours, five-minute increments is painful.

Anyone got a good technique here?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Good time increment technique?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 12:32:52 PM »
Set autoturns on then read a book and/or watch something online.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 03:53:45 PM »
I've occasionally had missiles impact with no warning when using excessive time steps, but I always assumed I just didn't have powerful enough sensors to detect them before impact.
I've had no problems in this current game, I've reliably had hour or day long increments broken to warn me hostile missiles are detected.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 11:20:24 PM »
This seems obvious to me: save, then step through fast. If that causes a problem, reload and at least you know when to slow down to a finer-grained timestep.