Author Topic: Diplomatic teams  (Read 2879 times)

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
Diplomatic teams
« on: September 09, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
How exactly do they work?
I assigned my diplomatic team to the alien race I encountered (and established contact with already), so that they would start to improve relationships.
However, after every increment, the team is no longer assigned to the alien race.
Does the team have to be on a planet where the alien race has a population, as with espionage teams?
Or are my diplomats being kicked out because the alien race set me as hostile?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Diplomatic teams
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:06:37 AM »
Hm, this shouldn´t happen!

Are you sure you hit "Assign" after selecting the diplo team? Otherwise, the selection will not stick.

Below the selected team there is another line that reads "Unasigned". After hitting Assign, the line should change to "XXX" where XXX is the alien race
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »
Yes, I did press assign. In the line you mentioned, the name of the alien race appeared. However, when I check back 5 days later, they're no longer assigned.
The team is still at full health (5 members), so that's not it.
I assigned another team, to my 2nd player race (Terracorp, which also lives on Earth, like me). This team is still in place.

I also assigned a diplomatic team from Terracorp to the aliens, the difference being, that Terracorp has ships present in the alien system, while Ordo Solaris, my first race does not. Same thing. Team no longer assigned.
Note, that the alien's stance towards Terracorp is also hostile, because I did some gravsurveying in their system. They started out neutral initially. They started out neutral towards Ordo Solaris as well, by the way. I just pissed them off with active sensor bling-blinging in their system. And killing some of their ships in their (I think home-)system, after they attacked me first.

Here comes.
My 3d player race, Vox Imperia, has not visited the alien's system at all yet. They did establish full communications though, in the brief moment that an alien ship jumped into my system, before being blown to bits. The alien's diplomatic stance towards them is as yet 'unknown', probably neutral, since they did not upset them with ships in their system.
I also assigned a diplomatic team from Vox Imperia to the aliens. And behold.. It's still in place.

So I guess, my initial assumption was right, and the aliens kick out my diplomatic teams because we are at war?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 01:08:02 PM »
This is realy strange. I have a Diplomatic Team working at the Precursors, Diplomatic Rating: -383, Military: Hostile and my teams is sticking to its task.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:34:58 PM »
This is realy strange. I have a Diplomatic Team working at the Precursors, Diplomatic Rating: -383, Military: Hostile and my teams is sticking to its task.

Since I can't find the normal 'reply' button, I'll reply using a quote hehe.

Odd. It seems then, that either your, or my game's diplomacy is bugged.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
Since I can't find the normal 'reply' button, I'll reply using a quote hehe.

Odd. It seems then, that either your, or my game's diplomacy is bugged.

I'd vote for yours (martinuzz's) - the behavior you describe is not one I've ever seen, nor seen Steve mention :-)  When the new(est) diplomacy rules went in a few years back, I asked about how we could continue to make contact with an alien race even though we'd jumped out of their system - Steve's technobabble was that the diplomacy team was at home studying Elint....

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:12:50 PM »
How exactly do they work?
I assigned my diplomatic team to the alien race I encountered (and established contact with already), so that they would start to improve relationships.
However, after every increment, the team is no longer assigned to the alien race.
Does the team have to be on a planet where the alien race has a population, as with espionage teams?
Or are my diplomats being kicked out because the alien race set me as hostile?
Not sure what is happening here. You don't need to be on a planet with an alien pop and you can still talk to hostile races.

Steve

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 01:55:41 AM »
If you want, I could send you my database. How would I go about that? Attach it to an email and send it?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 04:38:27 AM »
One of the most common reasons for truncated orders and auto-unassigns is the presence of an apostrophe in a name - race name, officer name, team name, planet name, ship name, class name, whatever.  You might want to do a quick doublecheck for one of these pesky punctuation marks.

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:52:05 AM »
I did a thourough check on the prescence of apostrophes. None of my races have any systems/planets/classes/ships/officers/teams/aliens with apostrophes in their names. So.. If I understand correctly. If I were to play a campaign with real star names, I should rename "Bernard's Star" to some name without an apostrophe when I find it, to prevent bugs?

The aliens set their stance to neutral now towards Terracorp, to which they were hostile before. Still, their diplomatic team gets unassigned, so I guess it is not linked to that.
Previous 5-day increment, Terracorp's diplomatic team decided to stick to the job. Next 5-turn increment, it gets de-assigned again.
It seems pretty random. The race were the diplomatic team did stick on their job (Vox Imperia), got it's team unassigned now too, a few times.

I did use SM, to transfer system knowledge of the alien's system to Vox Imperia (like I said, they have never been in the alien's system yet). Perhaps something got buggy there.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 02:27:42 PM »
Quote from: martinuzz
So.. If I understand correctly. If I were to play a campaign with real star names, I should rename "Bernard's Star" to some name without an apostrophe when I find it, to prevent bugs?

Yes, though that one's probably been done already.  Any time we find a name with an apostrophe it gets posted to the board, and Steve edits the name files to fix it for the next release.  Still, with so many themes, and officer names generated at random, we probably haven't found them all yet.

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
I managed to find the trigger for the de-assignment of the diplomatic teams.
It's not progressing time.

I found out, de-assignment happens, when I assign a diplomatic team from another race to the aliens.
So, only the diplomatic team of the race that was installed most recently, will stick to it's task.
If I assign a team from one of my other player races, the assignment from the other diplomatic team is removed.

All 3 my player races are human. Is it possible, that only one diplomatic team per species is allowed per alien race by the program?

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »
Wouldn't it be easy to run a query on the database to find all apostrophes in commander names (and again for star names, etc.)?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 03:36:43 AM »
Quote from: martinuzz
Is it possible that only one diplomatic team per species is allowed per alien race by the program?

It's possible, as race & empire used to be synonymous, before being split back in version two point something.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 03:40:09 AM »
Wouldn't it be easy to run a query on the database to find all apostrophes in commander names (and again for star names, etc.)?

Depends on the (programming) language you use to do so.  The reason apostrophes cause a problem is that they're what the DB uses to delimit fields.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 09:32:18 AM by Father Tim »