Author Topic: Updating the installer?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Caplin (OP)

Updating the installer?
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »
Hi Steve and All,
I post this in here because of its possible bennefit to new players, and because it isn't a bug in the sense of broken functionality. 
It might be a good idea to update the installation process for Aurora.  The current system of "install 4.91, unzip the 4.91 update, patch to 5.4x", seems a bit much to ask of newbies who are perhaps expecting something a bit more intuitive.  Would it be possible to just roll the update into the installer such that you could download the 5.40 installer and patch to 5.42?  Or, perhaps more to the point, just download the 5.42 installer and run it? 
I know that some of the people I've tried to introduce to the game have gotten hung up on the installation process initially.  I realize patches in themselves aren't much to ask, but the whole thing could use a bit of streamlining.
Just my thoughts,
Zack.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Updating the installer?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 01:55:47 PM »
Hi Steve and All,
I post this in here because of its possible bennefit to new players, and because it isn't a bug in the sense of broken functionality. 
It might be a good idea to update the installation process for Aurora.  The current system of "install 4.91, unzip the 4.91 update, patch to 5.4x", seems a bit much to ask of newbies who are perhaps expecting something a bit more intuitive.  Would it be possible to just roll the update into the installer such that you could download the 5.40 installer and patch to 5.42?  Or, perhaps more to the point, just download the 5.42 installer and run it? 
I know that some of the people I've tried to introduce to the game have gotten hung up on the installation process initially.  I realize patches in themselves aren't much to ask, but the whole thing could use a bit of streamlining.
Just my thoughts,
Zack.

To be honest I am not sure I still have the software that creates the Microsoft install program :). I think the best I can manage is to modify the existing installer so that the "unzip the 4.91 update" becomes "unzip the 5.42 update".

Steve

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:03:28 PM »
To be honest I am not sure I still have the software that creates the Microsoft install program :). I think the best I can manage is to modify the existing installer so that the "unzip the 4.91 update" becomes "unzip the 5.42 update".

Steve

I think that's all that would be nessesary, you could then update the installer once a year and keep patches for inbetween then. Think of a date you dont want to forget like your wedding aniversary, so you know when you need to devote your time and energy to Aurora.  ;D

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:33:10 PM »

Steve

If I recall VB6 correctly (it's been a decade), the installer is built into the VB IDE.