Author Topic: Managing ordance at a TG level  (Read 2016 times)

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
Managing ordance at a TG level
« on: March 15, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »

Hi all

Probably against popular opinion I've been using multiple types of missile load outs to deal with the various hostiles I've come across so far (a mix of warhead slow missiles and super fast shrt range ones to deal with the swarm and more conventionally balanced missiles for precursors). The problem I've come across now is that with multiple TGs each heading off to deal with different threats its getting awfully hard work using the individual ship tab to work through my list of combat ships, identify which ones are in which TG and then load them accordingly. Is there any way to view / manage the ordance of a just a single TG in order to get round this?

Thanks

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
Re: Managing ordance at a TG level
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
One possibly easy-to-implement way to do this would be a way to sort the Individual Ships window by task group. I'm not sure how feasible that is, but it would be a simple way to improve (although not completely solve) this situation.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:29:34 PM »
Hi all

Probably against popular opinion I've been using multiple types of missile load outs to deal with the various hostiles I've come across so far (a mix of warhead slow missiles and super fast shrt range ones to deal with the swarm and more conventionally balanced missiles for precursors). The problem I've come across now is that with multiple TGs each heading off to deal with different threats its getting awfully hard work using the individual ship tab to work through my list of combat ships, identify which ones are in which TG and then load them accordingly. Is there any way to view / manage the ordance of a just a single TG in order to get round this?

Thanks

A while back, I put in a suggestion to have multiple "named" standard loadouts specified for a class.  At present you can only have a single one.  So the idea would be to set up 3-4 IDs for the loadouts, e.g. "Anti-shipping", "Colony attack", "Anti-FAC", etc.  (whichever ones you liked), then give each class a loadout for each scenario, perhaps with a "default" loadout that would be used if a specific one wasn't specified.  You could then give your TG an order "Load ordnance at colony X using loadout Y" and all the magazines of the ships would be appropriately loaded.  Is this the sort of thing you're asking for?

The bad news is that this would require a DB change (to save the multiple loadouts), so Steve probably won't be doing it soon.

I'll post in suggestions to renew this idea.

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:41:10 PM »
Kind of a hack, but you could create multiple copies of the ship class. Version A is anti-shipping, Version B is colony bombardment, etc. Then give each version a different missile loadout. The nice thing about this is that a single shipyard geared for Version A can build B, C, D, etc. Bad thing is you've got Version A, B, C, D, etc.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:33:55 AM »
How much would it cost to refit from a version of the ship to another, and how long would it take?

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 08:24:24 AM »
Being able to sort by TG within the ships screen would seem to be the best way of doing this as at least then you can quickly identify which ships you need to adjust.

Now the really big question is do I give up on my current game to go to 5.42 or stick with this one to try and finish learning the ropes??

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:27:53 AM »
Being able to sort by TG within the ships screen would seem to be the best way of doing this as at least then you can quickly identify which ships you need to adjust.

Now the really big question is do I give up on my current game to go to 5.42 or stick with this one to try and finish learning the ropes??

If you're on 5.40 or 5.41 you don't need to give up your current game - "point" releases are database-compatible.

If you're only planning to spend another few days/week learning ropes, then I'd stick with the current game.

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
How much would it cost to refit from a version of the ship to another, and how long would it take?

Since the only difference is the loadout, refits should take no time. In theory. My guess is they'd take 30 days (for the overhaul).

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 07:07:12 PM »
Since the only difference is the loadout, refits should take no time. In theory. My guess is they'd take 30 days (for the overhaul).

An overhaul of a ship that has almost-no-time-on-the-clock doesn't take 30 days - it takes however long it takes for the overhaul clock to go back to zero.  So as you point out, there'd essentially be a mandatory overhaul to switch loadouts.  I think a bigger problem would be keeping slipways available....

John

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 06:40:20 AM »
An overhaul of a ship that has almost-no-time-on-the-clock doesn't take 30 days - it takes however long it takes for the overhaul clock to go back to zero.  So as you point out, there'd essentially be a mandatory overhaul to switch loadouts.  I think a bigger problem would be keeping slipways available....

John

Not quite I think.

with a refit, youre credited the time spent in refit as also being spent in overhaul, if a ship spends 1 month in refit, the overhaul clock would be reduced by 4 months (IIRC).  If your current overhaul clock is less than 4 months then that goes to 0.  The refit doesn't force you to complete a full overhaul (although I frequently have both running as I usually bring ships in with the intention of refitting, and have them go into overhaul while waiting for a slip to open up)

I'd anticipate that the actual time spent in refit for this scenario would be whatever the length of interval you happen to run that engages the next production phase - likely around 5 days - could be up to 30 in you happen to run a long increment that doesnt get interupted, possibly less than 5 if you've been running short increments that havent triggered a production phase for a while.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
with a refit, youre credited the time spent in refit as also being spent in overhaul, if a ship spends 1 month in refit, the overhaul clock would be reduced by 4 months (IIRC).  If your current overhaul clock is less than 4 months then that goes to 0.  The refit doesn't force you to complete a full overhaul (although I frequently have both running as I usually bring ships in with the intention of refitting, and have them go into overhaul while waiting for a slip to open up)
Good point - my bad.
I'd anticipate that the actual time spent in refit for this scenario would be whatever the length of interval you happen to run that engages the next production phase - likely around 5 days - could be up to 30 in you happen to run a long increment that doesnt get interupted, possibly less than 5 if you've been running short increments that havent triggered a production phase for a while.
Yep - that's what I was trying to say.

John