Author Topic: Researchers  (Read 3344 times)

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
Researchers
« on: March 21, 2011, 05:52:55 AM »
So I've just started a new 5.42 game, all looking good until I got to the research screent o discover I've been allocated a useless 2 scientists, one with a 10% bonus to sensors and the other with a 0% bonus in missiles. Not the best of start to say the least. So aside from building a pile of naval acadamies and praying to the gods of random roles for some new decent scientists to turn up sooner rather than later is there anything else I can be doing to help the research front?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Researchers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:14:31 AM »
The only other thing you can do requires SM mode.  When SM mode is activated you will find a button on the commander screen (F4).  It is Replace all.  What it does is to delete all current officers and then run through the normall accrual of officers for an amount of years that you set.  If you set it to the default of 10 years you are still going to have five times as many officers.  This will include naval, ground, scientists and admin officers.

If you really want a huge pool to start with use the SM function to increase the number of academies you have before doing this and then reset them to what you actually had

Brian

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:57:10 AM »
Or in the SM mode in the Officer section hit the Add button and add the amount you want, it will be split between all the officer catagories.

-Five

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:31:22 AM »
Thanks, I was thinking more in line of any other non-cheat options and whether this is just a non starter of a game....

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 08:02:09 AM »
True you could think of it as a cheat, i use it more as a roleplay a bit. i would imagine the world...or country...has more then two major scientists in it. Not saying go crazy, but i would think 2 or even 10 would be low for the world...well depending on starting pop.

Just my opinion though.

-Five

Offline Giggle

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »
Quote from: chrislocke2000 link=topic=3377. msg32419#msg32419 date=1300704775
one with a 10% bonus to sensors and the other with a 0% bonus in missiles

I trade 5 of my defense systems scientists for your sensor guy,  :D
What is great is that this kind of harsh begining have a strong influence on your fleets in ten years.

But 2 scientists at the begining is a bit low, I agree with Five, if you have a starting pop of 500 millions or +, it doesn't make much sense to have only two guys able to lead a scientific project. 
But how many Reasearch Lab do you have ? If your two guys are able to use all of them, then it's not an impossible begining to me.  I predict for your fleets slow and fragile long range missile cruisers  :D

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »
It was a stock start with 500 mil pop and 20 labs which they can fully utilise so yes not the end of the world although I'm not spending any construction points on more labs at the moment.

I went for reasonable missile and engine tech to start with so thats where my fleets are going to be sat at for a while. Will keep going with it as I've already encountered one NPR next door to Sol and a rather great Alpha Centuri with three habital planets and a good pile of mins out the other side. Once my darn researchers have finished spending the next two years or so on getting me an expanded economy then I'm definitley going for an "active " approach to gathering more tech and labs. Will let you know how it turns out.

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:01:39 PM »
I haven't really experimented with this, but apparently building more military academies will increase the rate of new scientists appearing as well as officers.

Does anyone know whether building academies just for increased scientists is worthwhile?  Roughly how fast would it take to be worth it? I usually go at least ten or fifteen years into a game before I've got a bonused scientist for everything I want to do.  It can hold you back quite a ways.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 10:24:23 PM »
I haven't really experimented with this, but apparently building more military academies will increase the rate of new scientists appearing as well as officers.

Does anyone know whether building academies just for increased scientists is worthwhile?  Roughly how fast would it take to be worth it? I usually go at least ten or fifteen years into a game before I've got a bonused scientist for everything I want to do.  It can hold you back quite a ways.

Yes it's worthwhile.  I usually build ~5 academies in a conventional start.  I wrote a post a couple years back out keeping scientists in "training" with small projects - by they time I'm headed into WP in a conventional start (15-20 years in) I'm in the 45-60% bonus range for the top researcher in most fields.  (This with a 2billion start.)

Note that a 50% researcher works at 3x in his field.

John

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 10:44:48 PM »
Research tab says, "Research Bonus is x4 for Scientist Specialization". Are you mistaken or does the multiplier decrease once the bonus reaches the 50% mark?

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 10:48:03 PM »
Each academy gives you 5 officers a year, what type of officer you get is random.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 06:45:15 AM »
Research tab says, "Research Bonus is x4 for Scientist Specialization". Are you mistaken or does the multiplier decrease once the bonus reaches the 50% mark?

No, he means that because the 50% is x4, the scientist works at his normal 100% plus 200% bonus = 300% the normal research rate.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 08:32:46 AM »
No, he means that because the 50% is x4, the scientist works at his normal 100% plus 200% bonus = 300% the normal research rate.

Steve

Exactly.  Just trying to point out that the bonus builds up FAST for scientists working in their speciality in case anyone hadn't internalized it.

John

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 07:29:07 PM »
80% Industry on building more labs.... only 2 guys but 10 labs each!!!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »
Exactly.  Just trying to point out that the bonus builds up FAST for scientists working in their speciality in case anyone hadn't internalized it.

John

Don't forget to work some numbers. That 20%/20 lab researcher is better than the 30%/5 lab researcher in the same area of expertise.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:58:31 AM by Erik Luken »