Author Topic: Set up of civilian contracts  (Read 2844 times)

gamemonger56

Set up of civilian contracts
« on: March 21, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »

can someone explain this?

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re: Set up of civilian contracts
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
In the Population and Production window (first icon of the System Map view), go to the Civilians / Ind Status tab of any given colony. There you can setup contracts for the colony to supply/demand X units of certain installations, selectable from the drop-down menu. Once you establish a supply contract in one colony and a reciprocal demand contract in another, the civilian shipping companies will take care of transporting the items.

Be advised, for a colony to actually supply the facilities you're asking, it has to have them built there. Unlike civilian vessels, they won't appear out of thin air to fulfill the contract.

Offline Giggle

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 05:39:16 PM »
I have noticed too that long distance between the supplying planet and the demanding planet is troublesome : civilian shipping companies won't make more than 3 or 4 jumps for you.
And I think I have read something saying this :
-civilian only use jump gate, they won't fulfill a contract if your JG network between the two planets is not completed.
-they don't do it for free, so you lose some resources, but you will get a part of your money back with taxes on shipping lines.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
-civilian only use jump gate, they won't fulfill a contract if your JG network between the two planets is not completed.

That might depend on whether or not their freighters are equipped with jump drives. But then it's best to rely on gates, since adding a jump drive to every design would make it all so much more cumbersome and expensive.

gamemonger56

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:25:42 PM »

thats pretty helpful. =especially if i make it and get them to haul it.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:46:53 PM »
I have noticed too that long distance between the supplying planet and the demanding planet is troublesome : civilian shipping companies won't make more than 3 or 4 jumps for you.
And I think I have read something saying this :
-they don't do it for free, so you lose some resources, but you will get a part of your money back with taxes on shipping lines.

There is a hard limit of 4 Jumps for civilians to transport stuff, so if you are 5 jumps between colonies what you might want to do is setup a way-station midway between them and just keep an eye on the Supply/Demand numbers.

I think the limit of 4 is because of the pathing routines - they get exponentially more complex with each jump away from the start location which slows down the time between increments too much. 

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:38:10 AM »

The max is four jumps. If you need a longer trip, just create an empty colony half-way along the route and use it as a waystation.

civilian only use jump gate, they won't fulfill a contract if your JG network between the two planets is not completed.

This is correct.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 06:42:17 AM »
There is a hard limit of 4 Jumps for civilians to transport stuff, so if you are 5 jumps between colonies what you might want to do is setup a way-station midway between them and just keep an eye on the Supply/Demand numbers.

I think the limit of 4 is because of the pathing routines - they get exponentially more complex with each jump away from the start location which slows down the time between increments too much. 

I guess I should have read the other replies first :)

The reason for the limit of 4 is as you stated. The pathing routines are used a LOT during each increment for NPRs

Steve

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 01:54:40 PM »
Perhaps one could set a routine where the long pathing checks were only done every 3 months or so; that way, in an extensive empire, resources would eventually begin to shuffle without the undue strain of constantly checking for long paths.