Author Topic: civilian shipping line  (Read 2238 times)

Offline dooots (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
civilian shipping line
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:19:28 AM »
Anyone got any idea why my civilian shipping line has only one colony ship?  It has 12 cargo ships but they just sit around and do nothing most of the time since there is only one colony ship taking people to Mars.

I'm guessing its just bad luck but maybe I'm missing something.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: civilian shipping line
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:29:40 AM »
Anyone got any idea why my civilian shipping line has only one colony ship?  It has 12 cargo ships but they just sit around and do nothing most of the time since there is only one colony ship taking people to Mars.

I'm guessing its just bad luck but maybe I'm missing something.

Each time they buy a ship there is a percentage chance for a colony ship or a freighter. I think a freighter is twice as likely so it may just be bad luck. The other possibility is that the available colony ship design is more expensive than the amount of money the shipping line has available to buy a ship.

Steve

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:25:22 PM »
I'm just not seeing any shipping activity in my current game. I was really hoping to see some of the demand for infrastructure on mars to start getting fulfilled by 8 years in, but theres been no action for years.

Offline dooots (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:24:08 PM »
Each time they buy a ship there is a percentage chance for a colony ship or a freighter. I think a freighter is twice as likely so it may just be bad luck. The other possibility is that the available colony ship design is more expensive than the amount of money the shipping line has available to buy a ship.

Steve

Must just be bad luck then, most of the ships they have built have been from me subsidizing them so money is not an issue.  The cargo ship is about 400 BP and the colony ship is about 730 BP.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »
I'm having a marvelous game so far, and may have pushed beyond the duranium crash (but now am feeling the early onset effects of a coming corundium crash).

There is one civilian colony ship.  21 years into the game.  Mars is fully terraformed, every bit of infrastructure taken there directly by my own forces.

There are no other civilian shipping.  I have a 30k ton freighter design with no jump drive, and a 50kish ton freighter with one.  Ideas?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »
I'm having a marvelous game so far, and may have pushed beyond the duranium crash (but now am feeling the early onset effects of a coming corundium crash).

There is one civilian colony ship.  21 years into the game.  Mars is fully terraformed, every bit of infrastructure taken there directly by my own forces.

There are no other civilian shipping.  I have a 30k ton freighter design with no jump drive, and a 50kish ton freighter with one.  Ideas?
Compare the shipping line's cash with the cost of a freighter. Might need to dump some wealth into the line as a subsidy.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:57:24 AM »
There is only a single shipping line, with a single colony ship.  Will the line diversify, or do they tend to be colonist-only or cargo-only?

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 02:08:13 AM »
They will diversify. It is random which ship type. Shipping lines will also be randomly created. In my current game 10 years in, I have three lines, each with 1 colony ship and the original line has recently added 3 freighters.

It was rather annoying having to generate about 1000 infrastructure for mars myself. Plus the lines wouldn't deliver colonists if there wasn't room so they couldn't make any money. But then when there was room, they'd all go at once, so then I'd have unrest from overcrowding. So, I ended up having my colony ship taking colonists back to Earth.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:43:36 AM »
Which is a bit of a cheat, but have the benefit to generate wealth for the line and yourself.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »
Well, you can always actually build a task group of government-owned freighters for situations such as this one. No need to cheat, and it usually comes in handy when you need stuff transported ASAP. Civilian lines can be a tad lazy/slow sometimes.

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 12:57:45 PM »
Which is a bit of a cheat, but have the benefit to generate wealth for the line and yourself.
I call it a work-around for the fact that lines don't build ships intelligently.

I'm thinking for my next game of not designing any colony/passenger ships until I've got massdrivers and automines set up to supply Mars.

Well, you can always actually build a task group of government-owned freighters for situations such as this one. No need to cheat, and it usually comes in handy when you need stuff transported ASAP. Civilian lines can be a tad lazy/slow sometimes.
I had state-run freighters. The problem was that as soon as there was room on Mars for one ship load of colonists all three civilian colony ships would deliver colonists. And I didn't want, and shouldn't of had to dedicate enough of Earth's construction factories to making infrastructure to keep ahead of them.