Author Topic: Anti-greenhouse limit?  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Anti-greenhouse limit?
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:09:32 PM »
Is there a limit to how much I can cool down a planet through anti-greenhouse gas beyond my species' maximum atmospheric pressure tolerance? That's 4 atm, in the case of humans. I know there's a maximum greenhouse factor that prevents me from heating up planets past a certain point (Titan, argh), but I don't know if there's a similar anti-GH measure.

Also, how can I calculate if I'll be able to bring the temperature level down enough with 3.9 (maximum minus minimum oxygen pressure) atm of anti-greenhouse gas, at most?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:13:56 PM by Shadow »

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: Anti-greenhouse limit?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:11:37 PM »
Is there a limit to how much I can cool down a planet through anti-greenhouse gas beyond my species' maximum atmospheric pressure tolerance? That's 4 atm, in the case of humans. I know there's a maximum greenhouse factor that prevents me from heating up planets past a certain point (Titan, argh), but I don't know if there's a similar anti-GH measure.
No, there's no limit, so you can actually push the temperature of a planet past absolute zero if you put enough in the atmosphere. Just tested with Mercury.

Also, how can I calculate if I'll be able to bring the temperature level down enough with 3.9 (maximum minus minimum oxygen pressure) atm of anti-greenhouse gas, at most?
No idea, but don't worry, 1Atm of Anti-GH gas easily offset 1Atm of Nitrogen on Mercury, so unless you have an extremely hot planet, you'll always get into the negatives within your limit.

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:16:11 PM »
Ah, shouldn't be a problem then.

The planet in question is extra-solar, has negligible atmosphere (trace type) and a surface temperature of 203.94 degrees Celsius. Greenhouse factor is 1, and planetary albedo is 0.88.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:36:53 AM »
As a matter of interest what do people go for as their preferred green house and anti green house gases?

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:10:14 AM »
For greenhouse, I tend to go for carbon dioxide. For anti-greenhouse, I believe there's no safe choice but the generic anti-greenhouse gas.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:16:01 PM »
Green house gases -- Safe Greenhouse Gas(prefered for terraforming), Carbon Dioxide, Nitrogen Dioxide, Sulphur Dioxide

Anti-Greenhouse Gases -- Anti-Greenhouse Gases

Both Nitrogen Dioxide and Sulphur Dioxide are listed as danger level 2 on the Gases table.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
So the generic safe greenhouse gas is more effective than carbon dioxide? :-X

Offline Tarran

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:40:45 PM »
So the generic safe greenhouse gas is more effective than carbon dioxide? :-X
Nope. Just tested: Both have the same effect.

Personally, I prefer carbon dioxide because it's more natural and isn't vague like "Safe greenhouse gases".

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:09 PM »
Personally, I prefer carbon dioxide because it's more natural and isn't vague like "Safe greenhouse gases".
While I agree with that, it's actually not safe at terraforming concentrations (not in the game though.)

Offline Tarran

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 12:52:16 AM »
While I agree with that, it's actually not safe at terraforming concentrations (not in the game though.)
Ah bah humbug. Flushed skin, full pulse, tachypnea, dyspnoea, extrasystoles, muscle twitches, hand flaps, reduced neural activity, raised blood pressure, disorientation, panic, hyperventilation, convulsions, unconsciousness, and death aren't so bad. The colonists can take it. I'm -100% certain of that.

:P

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 01:36:18 PM »
Ah bah humbug. Flushed skin, full pulse, tachypnea, dyspnoea, extrasystoles, muscle twitches, hand flaps, reduced neural activity, raised blood pressure, disorientation, panic, hyperventilation, convulsions, unconsciousness, and death aren't so bad. The colonists can take it. I'm -100% certain of that.

:P
I think I've experienced all of the above at some point. Perhaps i should open a window more often. :o

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »
Nope. Just tested: Both have the same effect.

Without knowing the calculations that Steve is using I would not make that assumption. 

Based on the table entries they are not the same though.  CO2 has a weight of 44 and boiling point of 195  while SGG has a weight of 40 and a boiling point of 100.  Clearly not the same.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Tarran

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 04:12:09 PM »
Without knowing the calculations that Steve is using I would not make that assumption. 

Based on the table entries they are not the same though.  CO2 has a weight of 44 and boiling point of 195  while SGG has a weight of 40 and a boiling point of 100.  Clearly not the same.
But they have the same effect, no? Then in gameplay terms they are the same. Atmospheric pressure factor, Greenhouse factor, etc are 100% the same. No difference whatsoever as far as I can tell. Try it yourself, no difference. Carbon Dioxide has the same effect gameplay wise as Safe Greenhouse Gases.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 04:56:29 PM »
I think I've experienced all of the above at some point. Perhaps i should open a window more often. :o

Including death?  ::)

Yes, Mars is now ideal for human habitation... with a 50% carbon dioxide atmosphere.

I will justify "abstract greenhouse gas" by pretending they are some sort of flourinated hydrocarbon, or a compound similar to CFCs which are potent greenhouse gasses.

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 05:39:02 PM »
Including death?  ::)

I was wondering if anyone would notice. Interestingly enough no i've not experienced death like symtoms presently. But from what i hear it'll happen eventually.  :'(