Author Topic: Trick to starting asteroid mining  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
Trick to starting asteroid mining
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:35:49 AM »
Sometimes I fly the miners to a location, and they produce.  Sometimes they don't.  Is there something fishy going on thats preventing me from mining?  Can my ships mine above a civilian mining center?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Trick to starting asteroid mining
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:52:58 AM »
The primary requirement is that the asteroid be designated as a colony.  If it is a colony then when your asteroid miner reaches it, you will have mining.  I often have enough cargo holds for 1 mass driver (5) so that I emplace the mass driver on the asteroid and it spits out the minerals as I mine them.

Brian

Offline Giggle

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:41:03 AM »
Quote from: Thiosk link=topic=3390.   msg32577#msg32577 date=1300876549
Sometimes I fly the miners to a location, and they produce.     Sometimes they don't.     Is there something fishy going on thats preventing me from mining?  Can my ships mine above a civilian mining center?

Yes, they can mine above a civilian mining post.   
I had the same problems in 5.   20.    When your mining fleet arrives at the asteroid, just check your colony in the F2 economic windows.   
In the mining panel, the very first line gives a sum up of how many ground based mines and how many orbital mines are present and working.   

If your mining fleet arrived and there are no orbital modules, then you may have a problem.   

Sometimes, it's only a matter of refresh.    Close and reopen the window, or just select your playing race at the top of the F2 window : it will refresh and your orbital modules may appear.   
If they are still not working, go to the task force window (F12) and give the order to your fleet to go to the colony, as if it wasn't there already.   
It has always solved the problem for me.   

If your orbital modules are well listed and you still don't have production, then you have a problem I don't know.   

Hope that helps.   

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 08:15:30 AM »
To refresh the windows is always a good idea.

And don't forget to install a mass driver at the roid or to pick them up later.
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:49:50 PM »
I figured out that putting a cargo bay on the miners, then having 5 of them allowed me to move the driver.  Using my shipyard output to generate mines has been the greatest boon I've yet discovered in this game.  Unbelievable.  Theres just something fishy going on where the miners aren't showing up as mines on the colony report.  I had some success moving the TG away from the asteroid, then returning it.

I just realized, though, I probably can't use asteroid mines on a moon, eh?

Offline Giggle

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
Quote from: Thiosk link=topic=3390. msg32606#msg32606 date=1300906190
I just realized, though, I probably can't use asteroid mines on a moon, eh?

Well, yeah, asteroid miners are for asteroids.
 :D

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »
They only work on Comets and Asteroids. Moons, Chunks, Gas Giants, Planets and Super Jovians won't allow you to use an Asteroid Miner modual.