Author Topic: A slight pain in the.....  (Read 2196 times)

Offline wodin (OP)

• Registered
  • Petty Officer
  • w
A slight pain in the.....
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
Been learning the game as some of you know and I've got the hang of military ships....and worked out a few other things..the game is a work of genius...

Anyway I must have restarted about 30 times as i learned from my mistakes...I finally got some decent ship designs and created them and started getting on with the game...surveying  and sending out my auto mines etc etc...anyway i then tried to make a fighter and soon realised with my tech it was no good...trouble is I had used sm on a couple of minor things to do it which I hate doing to be honest....so I have decided to restart again.....

I only wish there was away of saving your progress and if you mess up you can go back to a previous save instead of starting all over again...I'm sure once you get the basics down and no how the game engine works you don't really need this option but hwne your learning the game it would be a god send.

Oh and one question...do you have to tell the commercial shipyards to build civ ships? I dropped 100 infrastructure on Mars and I thought the Civ population would start building some colony ships that I had designed....should I create a colony ship at the start?

Thanks

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re: A slight pain in the.....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:42:14 AM »
Civilian shipping lines build their ships on their own, using their wealth and private shipyards somewhere. Translation: they pay for the vessels and they appear out of thin air.

As for 'saving', you can make a copy of the big database (Stevefire.mdb) to backup your progress.

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:59:32 AM »
Civilian shipping lines build their ships on their own, using their wealth and private shipyards somewhere. Translation: they pay for the vessels and they appear out of thin air.

As for 'saving', you can make a copy of the big database (Stevefire.mdb) to backup your progress.

As long as you have already designed a colony ship for them to build...same for freighter, desing one and over time they will build them.

-Five

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »
Yeah check the thread in the FAQ on saving.  My DB file is half a gig though, so I'm generating quite a bit of space on my computer.

Time to delete all those AAA titles I guess.

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »
Yeah check the thread in the FAQ on saving.  My DB file is half a gig though, so I'm generating quite a bit of space on my computer.

Time to delete all those AAA titles I guess.

Wow that is big I've only got a a 78MB stevefire.mdb

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »
I just back up the whole Aurora folder (cause I'm lazy) and then date it eg. Aurora 5.4 2052,  Aurora 5.4 2068 etc

I keep like 3-4 and delete the oldest with each new backup -

What I don't do is use it to go back and fix 'my' mistakes - like how I have just lost 3/4 of military strength because I underestimated the forces opposing me - I don't go back  to the previous backup and not do the attack as that would be 'cheating'

Offline wodin (OP)

• Registered
  • Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 06:30:50 PM »
It's the learning process as the game is complicated and with out a rule book you make loads of mistakes you wouldn't do with a decent rulebook...thats why I need a back up.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »
Wow that is big I've only got a a 78MB stevefire.mdb

I seemed to remember it being smaller as well.

I think something nasty happened in one of my last games that caused all sorts of DB problems.  Maybe I should download the fresh one..

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:11:56 PM »
There should be an option in the main control panel to compact the DB and make it more manageable.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »
Also, you can/should delete old games to clear out space....

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:53:20 PM »

Ah!!  I knew I'd done a post on this, but forgot it was in the FAQ.  Glad to see that (I assume) someone found it useful....

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 09:56:57 AM »
One thing to bear in mind is that Aurora is not the type of game where you need to play some type of perfect strategy for the first few months or you find yourself way behind the NPRs. It's a lot more slow-paced than that. You can have a very fun game just learning as you go.

Steve

Offline wodin (OP)

• Registered
  • Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »
That makes a massive change I hate games where the NRP's gain tech and resources at a super high rate.