Author Topic: PDC work  (Read 1998 times)

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
PDC work
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »
I've been using PDCs rather extensively, and as I did a conventional start, I have a bunch of ICBM platforms I'd like to pull the crews from.  Can I just scrap them?  If so, how.  Also, my attempts to refit PDCs didn't work.  I'm not sure what I did wrong.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: PDC work
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:05:22 PM »
Also, what are the use of ICBM, except to give civilians the warm feeling that someone is actually looking after them.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:11:33 PM »
There used to be a bug in the refit pdc code that ended up never actually changing the pdc.  There was a work around then using the SM functions.  If you are trying to keep to a realistic procedure try this.  Keep track of each pdc that you have done a refit  on.  Once you have refitted the whole class go into the ship design screen (F5) and change the actual design to match what the refit should have made it look like.  You will now have two identical designs and could even delete the one without any pdc's built using it.  The after relocking the F5 ship design go to the F6 screen.  You will need to display the individual pdc's that have been modified.  All you need to do is click on the first pdc in the class and use the arrow button to display all of them.  This will now leave you with the new updated design in place of the old design.

ICBM's are a only for hitting conventional oponents on the same planet.  Some of Steve's starts have multiple governments starting on earth so this helps then.  Almost any trans newtonian point defense will wipe the icbms out.
Brian

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
I know.  That's why I want to scrap them.  (And to get at the crews)
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:49:17 PM »
I know.  That's why I want to scrap them.  (And to get at the crews)

I usually refit them to TN electronics and design a size-24 BHM (Big Honking Missile) to go into them once I'm at decent missile/radar tech levels (i.e. 2-3 in each attribute).  They're expensive, but I'm role-playing it as a realistic defence for good old Mother Earth.

The trick is to not change the armor or the launchers - that keeps the refit cost down to that of the fire control.  I usually have a separate (heavily armored) PDC with active sensor, and build a new one every time I get a generational upgrade.  Finally, I build a few AMM PDC.

John

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:20:16 AM »
Also, what are the use of ICBM, except to give civilians the warm feeling that someone is actually looking after them.

Nothing.  They exist solely to give civilians that warm feeling.

Offline Laurence

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:52:57 AM »
I usually refit them to TN electronics and design a size-24 BHM (Big Honking Missile) to go into them once I'm at decent missile/radar tech levels (i.e. 2-3 in each attribute).  They're expensive, but I'm role-playing it as a realistic defence for good old Mother Earth.

The trick is to not change the armor or the launchers - that keeps the refit cost down to that of the fire control.  I usually have a separate (heavily armored) PDC with active sensor, and build a new one every time I get a generational upgrade.  Finally, I build a few AMM PDC.

John

I do the same thing.  Refit with some FC and Sensors and stuff giant missiles in them.  They are a nice pile of free size 24 box launchers basically.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »
I do the same thing.  Refit with some FC and Sensors and stuff giant missiles in them.  They are a nice pile of free size 24 box launchers basically.

Exactly.

John