Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2138 times)

Offline wodin (OP)

• Registered
  • Petty Officer
  • w
Advice please
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:48:32 PM »
Can anyone advice me what should I concentrate my industry on at the start and for roughly how long should I concentrate on certain items?
Obviously I build as many missiles as possible but what ship components should be built near the start?
Should I transfer some colonists to Mars to kick start the place or just wait for civvies to do it?
Also if I want the civ shipping to take say auto mines to Ioa do I click on Ioa the click supply and the amount of Item...as my civvy transports didn't do anything...

Thanks any help appreciated...

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:59:25 PM »
As for civilian contracts, you have demand them at Ioa and supply them where you want them taken from. A contract is to move something.

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »
What you build will very from game to game.  Just make sure you have some cargo ships and auto mines and it will be very hard to get stuck.  Looking at a fresh Trans-Newtonian start the only things I can see that need to be done are building some Military Academies 5-10 should do, making sure the Maintenance Facility is big enough to support your military ships and building shipyards 2-3 of each type is enough for the start.  After that it really just depends on what you have for resources and what you want to do.  For example this game has very little Duranium so I would focus on finding some and building auto mines as they can be used no matter where I find it.

You don't need to build ship components at the start.  They are just for speeding up ship construction.

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:42:39 PM »
So, I've been thinking about this.

I start off with 10 Mass Drivers so I can get a mineral stockpile started on Mars. Then, 200 infrastructure and construction factories to get Mars started. Then what dooots said with the addition of Research Labs.

For ship components it all depends on what ships you plan to build. Though most every ship will have certain ones; bridge, engineering, fuel storage, crew quarters, ...

I don't know if civilian lines will take colonists to a colony that doesn't already have some. I've always just done it myself. Civilian lines can be ... unpredictable.

Edit: OK, so none of those components can be factory built. But, shields, magazines, launchers, maintenance storage bays, engines and modules can be.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:53:41 AM by Ziusudra »

Offline wodin (OP)

• Registered
  • Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 04:16:33 AM »
So if you set a shipyard to build a ship you don't have to have the components in a stockpile? Thats interesting...thanks

Thansk for the other advice...so I need to send resources to Mars for them todo anything once there...OK....wouldn't the moon better to colonise first with auto mines? As it has minerals unlike Mars?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:18:07 AM by wodin »

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »
I usualy start building 50% Automines 50% Finance.   In my experience cash tends to become a limiting factor 4-5 years into the game, if you havent worked on improving your cashflow position you can get in a real hole without noticing and end up at -2000/month watching efficiencies plumet or putting in massive cuts to your shipbuilding & R&D programs.

I got lucky with my current campaign, I was about 6 months out from getting the next 20% civilian upgrade and the bank balance was hitting zero & dropping, when a nice juicy NPR decided to open up on my salvage ships who were trying to generate some extra cash from wrecks of a different NPR.  2 months later they had 6 divisions and the 241st Marine Brigade explaining to the NPRs Ruling Council in nice short words why this was a Bad Idea (tm) and making withdrawals from the Treasury under rule 303.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Giggle

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »
Thansk for the other advice...so I need to send resources to Mars for them todo anything once there...OK....wouldn't the moon better to colonise first with auto mines? As it has minerals unlike Mars?

From what I saw, resources of planets of the solar system change from a campaign to another.
Restatr a completly new campaign and you will notice that stellar bodies once very rich are now very poor.

So colonizing the moon or Mars first is completly up to you : it depends of what you want to do and what you may lack.

If you have a mineral shortage on Earth, then putting a lot of auto mines on the moon if it rich may be a good idea.
If mars is very low on mineral ressources, then you may have to consider to find another planet, even in other systems, for your next populated colony.
You may also want to colonize Mars as it is easier to make people actualy live on this planet than on the moon AND colonizing the moon with auto-mines and moving the minerals from Moon to Mars.

Sky is the limit =)

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:51:49 PM »
Additionally you can create a Geosurvey Team to go to planets and moons to look for stuff. I find if you let them get their skill rating up on some worthless moons/planets you can get their skill up to a point you can drop them on rich planets with low accessability and often they will find minerals which raise the accessability of the whole stock pile. Good for planets with tens to hundreds of millions of good minerals like Duranium. Good hunting!

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 01:16:22 AM »
Should I transfer some colonists to Mars to kick start the place or just wait for civvies to do it?

So, I just tried it out on a new colony and all you have to do is get the initial infrastructure there, by contract or your own freighter. Once there's room for colonists civvies will fill it up.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:56:01 AM »
So, I just tried it out on a new colony and all you have to do is get the initial infrastructure there, by contract or your own freighter. Once there's room for colonists civvies will fill it up.
You can either drop infrastructure (I usually use 100 infrastructure) or colonists; this activates an "open for colonization" flag in the civie logic which starts them colonizing.

Note that the civies need to have freighters and colony ships in their fleets to be able to haul infrastructure and colonists respectively, of course.

John

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
How high is high for a geology team?  I've trained one up into the mid 40s all across the board, with the team rating in the 200s.  Is that high, or more middling?

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 06:43:40 AM »
Personally I never got much farther past 200 as one of them decides to retire or up and die on me naturally or kia. :-[

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 06:48:34 AM »
I have gotten into the upper 200's a couple of times.  This generally only works when I can start them off close to 150.  Then as an individual officer dies I try to replace them with an officer with a 30% bonus.  It keeps the total loss down.  To help get the high scores I will move them around in my home system untill they have totally surveyed every terrestrial body, and then move them to another large system and do the same.  This way when a planet shows up that I really need to improve I have a good team to turn loose on it. 

Brian