Author Topic: Tugging a PDC/Station through a JumpGate  (Read 2063 times)

Offline PandaQ (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • P
Tugging a PDC/Station through a JumpGate
« on: April 05, 2011, 12:23:03 AM »
Can it be done? I'm batting around the idea of a terraforming station, that i just tug through jumpgates to its next workplace, but I don't want to invest that large amount of time in it just to find out I can't transport it.

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
Re: Tugging a PDC/Station through a JumpGate
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:29:38 AM »
Yes, I've done it. Well, for stations anyway. Once a PDC has been built or assembled, I don't think it can be moved.

I'm currently using terraforming stations and orbital weapons platforms, both of which I've towed through jump gates. (They're really just ships without engines.)

Edit: Oh, and my jump gate construction "ship" also gets tugged around.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:33:55 AM by Ziusudra »

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 06:09:45 AM »
I tried putting a terraforming module in a PDC, and stuck it on an uninhabited planet, but the Environment window didn't recognize that I had a terraforming unit on the planet.

You can't tug PDC, but you can modularize a PDC and do final assembly on another planet.  You need engineers to do that (and the required amount of minerals0.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:33:08 AM »
I tried putting a terraforming module in a PDC, and stuck it on an uninhabited planet, but the Environment window didn't recognize that I had a terraforming unit on the planet.<snnip>

Really,  Steve must have made a change to terraforming.  I used to do this for worlds I wanted to terraform before implanting a colony.  This was when commercial ships still required maintenance and it was a way around that hastle. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:43:19 AM »
Can it be done? I'm batting around the idea of a terraforming station, that i just tug through jumpgates to its next workplace, but I don't want to invest that large amount of time in it just to find out I can't transport it.

Just to be clear, PDC stands for "Planetary (as opposed to Orbital) Defence Center", i.e. a big concrete-filled hole in the ground.  So it can't be moved once emplaced.

John

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »
I came up with this. Might be either extremely clever or extremely gamey. ;)

Genesis class Terraformer    1,506,050 tons     10250 Crew     27005 BP      TCS 30121  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-1170     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 11 MSP    Max Repair 500 MSP
Habitation Capacity 50,000   
Terraformer: 50 module(s) producing 0.15 atm per annum

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as an Orbital Habitat for construction purposes

Offline PandaQ (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • P
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 05:44:50 PM »
I've got one finally built, and I have the tug and. . . . now i don't know how to tug the terraforming station to a destination. . .

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »
Open the Task Groups window for the tug, at the top of the Task Group Orders tab click the Task Groups box. Now, in locations click the group with the ship you want to tow, Tractor Specified Ship from actions, then the ship from the list that shows up and finally Add Move. Then pick a the destination location (which can be another task group) and Release Tractored Ships.