Author Topic: ridiculously large orbit  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Deoxy (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
ridiculously large orbit
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
Obligatory "I'm a newbie" comments, yada yada yada.  I played MoO 2 WAY too much back in the day, and this seems like a GREAT upgrade.   Yay.   I'm new.

OK, that out of the way, the reason for this post is something odd that I found. . .  a 3-star system where the third star is orbits at 18400 AUs.   It's orbital period is 4634765 Earth years.   Just getting to it (@ 5000 km/s) would take something like 7000 days.   Of course, that doesn't really matter, since it errors if I try to plot a course there, anyway. . .

There are a couple of Lagrange points in the system, but none of them around that star, so that doesn't help.

I looked at The Space Race, and the largest orbit in there was just over 1000 AUs, and it drops off quick after that. . .  is this some kind of bug?  Or just a really rare normal thing?

It's really annoying - I like to get everything surveyed, and that's just NOT going to happen with this. . .

Well, unless I hack the database. . .  which is tempting.   

Oh, and (further newbieness) is there a listing of the tech and prereqs somewhere?  That would be convenient. . . .  (if there isn't, would it be OK for me to build one from the database info and post it for newbies like me?)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: ridiculously large orbit
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »
It's a rare and normal thing.

Build an engine with Hyper capability. Then set a waypoint on the hyperlimit of the star and go. Once there, engage the hyper portion and zoom to the outlying body.

To my knowledge, there is nothing outside of the wiki that shows tech progressions.

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:12:53 PM »
It's not ridiculous that's just how the dice fell.

It is more accessible with better tech. Right now, I guess ion tech, your ships are just snails. In my current game at tech level six, that is inertial confinement, it would be easy to design a hyper capable ship that goes 200 000 km/s and that can geosurvey the objects there. Still takes 160 days, but that's just how the world is. At tech level 7, solid core antimatter, can design a survey ship that goes 420 000 km/s with just enough fuel to come back. It's all engine and fuel tank, but it does the job. Not everything is supposed to be in easy reach, and there are enough resources in normal systems. Max tech Photonic ships can go beyond a million km/s. Would reach the star in under a month.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:19:42 PM by Rastaman »
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!

Offline Deoxy (OP)

• D
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »
Meh.   Even with those advanced techs, there would have to be some SERIOUS resources out there to bother doing anything with it.   I suppose the error I'm getting is due to travel time, not distance, then.

As to techs, I suppose I can build the list and post it, then.   The underlying data structure is wonderfully simple (in a very good way, I mean), so it shouldn't take long.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:08:48 PM »
Meh.   Even with those advanced techs, there would have to be some SERIOUS resources out there to bother doing anything with it.   I suppose the error I'm getting is due to travel time, not distance, then.

As to techs, I suppose I can build the list and post it, then.   The underlying data structure is wonderfully simple (in a very good way, I mean), so it shouldn't take long.

I rarely utilise hyper engines myself.

As for the tech trees, the best and appropriate place would be in the wiki. There are skeletons of most of the techs already there.

*edit* link to the wiki article
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Aurora_Player_Designed_Systems
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:25:15 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 02:26:56 PM »
I use hyperdrives heavily atm. It depends on the landscape I suppose. For instance my Sol system has four jump points, three of which lie just outside the hyperlimit, with one being a few hours inside. My main spaceport and shipment centre is on Pluto, which is outside the limit too, where I stockpile all the minerals coming from the colonies and installations intended to go to the colonies. I have a dedicated fleet of fast non-hyperdrive freighters that only operates the Earth-Pluto route, and hyperfleets who serve other important systems, most of which have jump points way beyond the hyperlimit too. Those freighters don't visit Earth but circle around the hyperlimit, and travel times are much reduced due to this, even though it is more effort when giving them orders to make them touch all those waypoints.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:35:07 PM by Rastaman »
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »
I use hyperdrives heavily atm. It depends on the landscape I suppose. For instance my Sol system has four jump points, three of which lie just outside the hyperlimit, with one being a few hours inside. My main spaceport and shipment centre is on Pluto, which is outside the limit too, where I stockpile all the minerals coming from the colonies and installations intended to go to the colonies. I have a dedicated fleet of fast non-hyperdrive freighters that only operate the Earth-Pluto route, and hyperfleets who serve other important systems, most of which have jump points way beyond the hyperlimit too. Those freighters don't visit Earth but circle around the hyperlimit, and travel times are much reduced due to this, even though it is more effort when giving them orders to make them touch all those waypoints.

I assume civies aren't clever enough to use hyperdrives on their freighters when they buy hyperdrive freighters.  Do you have any observational evidence one way or another?

John

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »
No observations because they have not bought any hyper equipped freighters so far. Those are actually very big (258 000 tons) with 200 000 ton cargo. Of the 150+ civilian ships there are only 2 or 3 of that size, and only older non-hyper versions. And as we all know, they don't scrap the nuclear thermal 25000 ton ships and buy new ones even when they're 150 years old.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:37:11 PM by Rastaman »

Offline Deoxy (OP)

• D
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=3437. msg33237#msg33237 date=1302030528
I rarely utilise hyper engines myself. 

As for the tech trees, the best and appropriate place would be in the wiki.  There are skeletons of most of the techs already there.

*edit* link to the wiki article
hxxp: aurorawiki. pentarch. org/index. php?title=Aurora_Player_Designed_Systems

I've pulled a list, and there are a LOT more than I realized - just over 1000.   Putting it in the wiki is a great idea. . .  but not one I've got time to help with just right now (sorry).

The most useful thing I really wanted out of it was the prerequisites, but I've got development cost and a few other things, too.   I've dumped it to a comma delimited file and tried to get it sorted in a useful-ish fashion (the order by ID number was. . .  odd), so if anybody wants to make use of it, enjoy.

Aaannnddd nevermind. . .  the forum only allows graphic attachments.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »
I've pulled a list, and there are a LOT more than I realized - just over 1000.   Putting it in the wiki is a great idea. . .  but not one I've got time to help with just right now (sorry).

The most useful thing I really wanted out of it was the prerequisites, but I've got development cost and a few other things, too.   I've dumped it to a comma delimited file and tried to get it sorted in a useful-ish fashion (the order by ID number was. . .  odd), so if anybody wants to make use of it, enjoy.

Aaannnddd nevermind. . .  the forum only allows graphic attachments.

Easily fixed. You can upload CSV files.

Offline Deoxy (OP)

• D
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 10:45:23 AM »
Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=3437. msg33246#msg33246 date=1302041650
Easily fixed.  You can upload CSV files.

Yay - thanks!

Here it is - hope it's useful.