Author Topic: ruin frequency?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Deoxy (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
ruin frequency?
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:38:27 PM »
I've explored everything in a 3-jump radius, and I've found all the systems in a 4 jump radius, and I haven't found any ruins at all.   Am I just unlucky, or is this about normal?

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re: ruin frequency?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:06:37 PM »
I don't know the exact chance, but in my experience, out of 67 explored systems, less than 10% of them contained planets with ruins (which are discovered by geosurvey ships). While I believe they can appear in a reasonably wide range of environments, they tend to crop up on easily terraformable planets.

And so far, every ruin I've found has been guarded by Precursor contingents of various sizes. You can use such strength to gauge the size of the ruins themselves.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:16:12 PM »
92 systems explored, 60 fully surveyed
5 systems precursor guarding
3 'ruins'

50% of systems have a single planets with a 2-3 rating

Offline Deoxy (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:35:35 PM »
Hmm, then maybe I have found a couple - I've had a couple of survey ships destroyed, but I just thought they were NPRs.  I've got one race in my diplomacy screen, and the diplomatic rating just won't go up on it...  so that must be it.  Didn't realize they were all guarded.  OK, that's more reasonable.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »
I found ruins in one campaign-- but now that I'm playing better I can't even remember where I saw that I had found the ruins.  Was it in the planet overview list?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »
I found ruins in one campaign-- but now that I'm playing better I can't even remember where I saw that I had found the ruins.  Was it in the planet overview list?

You can check in the Display 2 tab of the System Map. That will show all known ruins

Steve