Author Topic: Error 6 overflow possibly b/c body too far from main star  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Black Rabbit (OP)

• Petty Officer
Hi there!  New here, first post, enjoying the game greatly so far since I stumbled onto it at Bay 12.   

I'm experiencing the error 6 overflow bug, but in my case it appears to me to be caused by star B of a trinary system being really really far away.   

The offending star has an orbital period of 1627890 and a distance of 18800, and every time I try to assign my ships to move to it, I get the overflow error.     I experimented and set a couple of waypoints at differing points along the path to the body orbiting star B, and one was fine, but the closer one also produced an overflow error when I attempted to assign Move-to orders to it.   

I can upload the .   mdb if you like.   It comes from a non-real-stars game where I genned the system as my home system. 

As a stopgap measure for now, I imagine I can ban the bodies, but is there any way I can manually adjust the orbital distance or any stats like that?

Cheers on some incredible work!  Much enjoying getting lost in it.   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:18:34 AM by Black Rabbit »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Error 6 overflow possibly b/c body too far from main star
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:49:26 AM »
Hi there!  New here, first post, enjoying the game greatly so far since I stumbled onto it at Bay 12.   

I'm experiencing the error 6 overflow bug, but in my case it appears to me to be caused by star B of a trinary system being really really far away.   

The offending star has an orbital period of 1627890 and a distance of 18800, and every time I try to assign my ships to move to it, I get the overflow error.     I experimented and set a couple of waypoints at differing points along the path to the body orbiting star B, and one was fine, but the closer one also produced an overflow error when I attempted to assign Move-to orders to it.   

I can upload the .   mdb if you like.   It comes from a non-real-stars game where I genned the system as my home system. 

As a stopgap measure for now, I imagine I can ban the bodies, but is there any way I can manually adjust the orbital distance or any stats like that?

Cheers on some incredible work!  Much enjoying getting lost in it.   

You'll need ships equipped with Hyper drives to get there.

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 03:15:26 AM »
I still get the overflow error when I try to plot a move to that star's bodies while in Hyperspace mode.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:51:36 AM »
Please read the  Please read the "Where Should I Post?" thread FAQ and the "Bug Reporting (Please read before posting bugs)" in Aurora Bugs.  For new user questions (even those which you think are bugs), please post in The Academy.

In this particular case, it will almost certainly take you a loooong time to get to where you want to go - your ship will probably die from maintenance failures long before you get there. 

The overflow happens whenever the travel time calculated exceeds some limit.  Usually this is because you accidentally kept your ship at speed 1 and told it to go a long way.

There is one real issue hiding here that I think hasn't been logged as a bug in a long time - IIRC the order-time calculator doesn't take hyperdrive mode into account.  If you confirm that's true (on one of the way points that doesn't overflow), that would probably be worth logging as an annoyance.  Please be sure to log it in the official thread, though, rather than a new thread.

Thanks and Have Fun!!
John

PS - I'm moving this thread to The Academy.

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:28:59 PM »
Ah, how embarrassing.  I've read them, and understand now.

Thanks for answering!