Author Topic: Ground Force Design Prototyping  (Read 1187 times)

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Ground Force Design Prototyping
« on: December 28, 2021, 08:07:18 PM »
Hello, I have a small but impactful suggestion that will vastly improve the design time and work spent on a series of ground units, that being ground force design prototypes, we have prototypes for ships and they work fantastically well, I do not see why it could not be the same for ground forces, simply speaking all that it would need to do is allow you to design prototype ground force elements in the same way as components and create prototype formations, now you may ask "well you cant build them right? so that would limit the usefulness" this is true but I have some ways around this, the first is that we give a (P) tag to prototype formations and allow their construction (instant building potentially), this would be okay because th formations would not actually be able to engage in combat and would purely be there to design hierarchies and test how the formations would actually work under each other.

Another manner would be the creation of a separate OOB where you can drag and drop prototype formations in on "paper" that will allow you to mess around with hierarchies a bit like unit series  are but just a paper OOB.

Either way I think prototyping would considerably improve QOL, make design easier and also help people do trial and error and plan out their thoughts more, let me know what you think.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Ground Force Design Prototyping
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 08:49:19 PM »
I think prototyping individual ground units makes sense. It allows you to put the units into a formation to see how the formation looks without having to research all the units first.

I don't think "prototype formations" make sense, it would be confusing to be able to build a formation but not use it for anything and I don't see the need to design and non-combat test hierarchies. The only complications in designing hierarchies, aside from specific rules and mechanics limitations (e.g., LVH+LOG will only resupply subordinate formations in a hierarchy, not adjacent or superior formations), are matching tonnages to superior HQs and setting support relationships, and neither of those things are hard to figure out or require significant tinkering to get right - unless you are trying to work with very small (<5k tons) formations which work very poorly in Aurora anyways.

The following users thanked this post: Landric