Author Topic: NPR information  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
NPR information
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:34:55 PM »
I'm a sucker for the cosmetic stuff.

I would like procedurally generated NPR details, specifically, some mumbo-jumbo randomly generated information about
- biochemistry
- senses they have or do not have
- language/communication system
- sociability

this is a thread where we can brainstorm how these cosmetic effects are generated.

I would also like to have a point where the player eventually knows more about the NPRs.
Aurora is fun because of the poverty of information about aliens initially. First contact is thrilling, you're in some deep space void between worlds, en route on a routine survey, when all of a sudden: heat signatures! radar! friend or foe? Think quickly!...and so on.

But it's sorta jarring when the alien civilization i've been in contact with for 40 years has yet to disclose where their capital is. I can only RP-explain this once or twice before it gets old, and there's no easy way to SM explore without uncovering a lot of other details I'd rather not know. it's even worse when I learn that they've been fighting an existential war with a powerful opponent and I'm only just now learning about it.

I believe at a certain point, just like survey data is eventually shared, all the following data about a race should be shared
- physiological details discussed above
- all races they have made contact with, and their relationships with said races
- information about all systems where they have large colonies, and information about those colonies.

I don't know the easiest way to parse this into rules, but it's a conversation starter.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
Re: NPR information
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:41:41 PM »
I like your idea! I would like to see this in the game.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 01:50:55 PM »
On the same cosmetic theme, it would be cool if aliens that sometimes tried to contact you when they are pissed by your behavior. Depending on if you know their language, you'd receive unknown message or an explanantion whatever they don't like you doing.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »
On the same cosmetic theme, it would be cool if aliens that sometimes tried to contact you when they are pissed by your behavior. Depending on if you know their language, you'd receive unknown message or an explanantion whatever they don't like you doing.

You settled in lands that are claimed by Polynesia. Don't do that anymore. - Kamehameha (Civ 5)

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:17:54 AM »
I guess it could be included in the overhaul of diplomacy, which is the most lacking part of the game now.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:42:15 AM »
For me this is one huge gap in the perfection of the current game and I could not ask for this more.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:13:53 AM »
I would settle for NPRs proposing ceasefire, armistice, peace talks/settlement. I am currently in the middle of a war between the Republic of India (Earth) and the Followers (GJ1028), its been going on for decades. I am allied to both! Every so often they fight while over my principal extra-Sol colony. Yes, I get lots of intelligence and wrecks but it upsets the colonists (or it should). I don't want to attack the Indians, that would just end up irradiating another bit of Terra, I don't really have the range to prosecute a war against the Followers either - sorium famine. Apart from which their fleets around my colony are larger than my task group, but probably not anything like as effective. So annoying! 
IanD