Author Topic: Suggestion: AMM doesn't need warhead  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re: Suggestion: AMM doesn't need warhead
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »
I don't think picking and choosing which real-world physical principles apply is all that meaningful.  Infinite acceleration isn't really possible in the first place, so trying to derive other Aurora physics from that as a first principle doesn't make much sense.  If you're going to handwave one aspect, might as well handwave whatever else is necessary.  Trying to create internal consistency when there is none is weird.

Put another way, F = m*a no longer seems to apply at all, hence "Trans-Newtonian."
I agree that the rules are broken, so it could not really apply anymore. But for the sake of argument I am just gonna hint that things which have been freed of their mass, still have an impulse of other sorts, just like light has one still. It could be argued that maybe the trans-newtonian tech somehow froze the object in space time, or otherwise prevents it from oscillating, but if not, then there will be a basic impulse E/c, or h*f/c. Momentum does against widespread opinion not come only from mass, but is actually more of the energy magic kind. Mass all too often just happens to be the strongest energy around, but that is it.

However there is really no ground to see this too logical. The official position on trans-newtonian movement seems to be that there is connection with "other dimensions", which are liquid and thus ships need steady propulsion, or just get stuck. What is impulse in this world - I don't know.
I think it already breaks apart at the point where 'dimensions' have been mistaken for parallel universes maybe. Not sure, but it is a common mistake and the explanation kinda sounds like that.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
Re: Suggestion: AMM doesn't need warhead
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 01:57:50 PM »
I don't think picking and choosing which real-world physical principles apply is all that meaningful.  Infinite acceleration isn't really possible in the first place, so trying to derive other Aurora physics from that as a first principle doesn't make much sense.  If you're going to handwave one aspect, might as well handwave whatever else is necessary.  Trying to create internal consistency when there is none is weird.

Put another way, F = m*a no longer seems to apply at all, hence "Trans-Newtonian."

You can go through solid planets and stars without damage, you can go from 0 to .99c instantly, and turn 180 degrees instantly. I would say there is no momentum, no impulse and no collision. In fact, there is no ramming attack (with one exception).

And light has infinite acceleration due to having no mass.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:03:09 PM by swarm_sadist »