Author Topic: Aurora Ranks  (Read 4882 times)

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Aurora Ranks
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 01:23:48 AM »
If you are more liberal with your flag bridges you could do this to your hearts content and simply call TGs TFs...

But you hit a small issue with the ranks in Aurora...the lowest rank is Lt. Commander, that is generally speaking either a division head on a capital ship or else the first officer or commander of a smaller ship.  That is the ground force equivelent to a captain.  So a lot of what you are asking for is handled in the real world by Lts of various grades which aren't in Aurora anyway.

The academy is more "leadership school" or "staff officer training" then it is where fresh officers come out...that is Ensigns and the like.  The age of the new officers is well younge...Lt. Commanders are likely closer to 31 years old then 21 years old.  21 is also very young for scientists and adminstrators...4+2+3=9+18=27 is minimium for Ph.Ds.  and Admistrators are likely 18+4+1= 23 years old (MBAs).

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Aurora Ranks
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 08:35:03 AM »
Yes... that is also what I usually do later on in the game. Larger groups of ships get their own admiral or Commodore.

I would just like to be able to link TF in a hierarchy as well and have some benefit or at least just a linked tree in the organizational tab for immersion sake.

I rarely find it problematic to find officers a home after nations start building a proper navy. Each fighter or recon craft get a Lt.Commander assigned, smaller ships a Commander and bigger ships get their captains and sometimes a commodore for very large ships.

Once the navy is developed I give Commodores the role of task-force leaders at the Flag bridge of a command ship. Rear Admirals in my campaigns are almost always system administrators and lead system defenses. So a Commodore is under the command of the system admiral unless a conflict warrants the presence of a Fleet Admiral.

I would like to assign Fleets with Commodores to the administration below Fleet Admirals in charge of Sector wide fleet operation where the Commodores are more of a tactical tool rather than a strategical tool.

The major problem I have with how TG work is that they are very strict and only ships in the same spot belong to them... a single scour craft is its own task-group.

It would be nice if there were some more defined way to do it with the Organizational tool in the game... perhaps assign leaders using that tool would be one way to do it.