Author Topic: Auto-launch Survey Drones  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Yonder (OP)

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
Auto-launch Survey Drones
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:03:29 PM »
I really, really like being able to use missiles to Geosurvey, it feels more accurate to me, especially in the early game. Unfortunately it (ironically) takes much, much more personal effort to do that as a player. Would it be possible to set up an automated system where you tell a Fire Control attached to a Missile Launcher with Geosurvey missiles assigned to launch them until each unsurveyed body within range has X drones being sent to them?

It can't be a conditional order, because that wouldn't work for PDCs.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Auto-launch Survey Drones
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:57:34 AM »
Good idea, I can think of how it would work for ships, a conditional order to "Move to within range of nearest body and fire geo survey bouy" and "Move to within range of nearest survey point and fire grav survey bouy" would work.
The ship would have to assume that the first fire control and whatever missile it is linked to is for the survey, the ship would travel to within the range of the fire control rather than actually needing to check the range of the missile.
On the down side you need a long range fire control to really take advantage of the design which would take up more room, but for more range you could easily use the lowest possible resolution. And even if you just use whatever fire control you already have liing around you still get the advantage of automation and potentially having multiple surveys happening concurrently.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "