Author Topic: Refits - What happens to the old components?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Refits - What happens to the old components?
« on: January 30, 2015, 03:53:40 AM »
When you scrap a ship you get the components returned to your stockpile. When you refit a ship the replaced components just disappear. Are they offset against the cost of the refit? Or are they just lost? If its the former and you have pre-built components is one third the mineral content and wealth of the component added to your balance? I have not identified the this so assume they are just lost. Anyone done a study?

With both galacite and uridium being a rate limiting step I would like one third the minerals at least returned when I refit my sensors.

Ian
IanD

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Refits - What happens to the old components?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:47:48 AM »
Refits don't seem to net you any return on the old components which are refit.  I have not tracked this explicitly but at the moment the NCN is in a major refit phase and for some ships I certainly have seen that it is often just as effective (and more so from a mineral cost point of view) to scrap and rebuild rather than refit.

The two reasons to refit for a ship undergoing major changes are that you retain a trained crew if you refit, and you have to retrain them if you scrap and rebuild.  The second is that refit is also considerably faster than the scarp-rebuild route.

I can take a look the costs and see if I can spot any re-imbursment going on but I am dubious it is.  I know for example that a refit that changes the engines costs the full cost of the new engines, it was one of the reasons that due to the Gallacite shortage that stopped refits and upgrades and even new builds.  Since the NCC has gotten a steady trickle of gallicite going things are back to a modest level of building and or refitting.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:30:47 AM »
Refitting does not net you back any modules as i am aware of.

Also it will always cost the new modules, plus a little bit for the work itself

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:58:00 AM »
I looked at the cost to build a Flower Mod1.1 jump tender compared to the cost to refit a Flower to the Flower Mod1.1.

The refit and new build cost galacite 125 ...this is the cost of 5 new engines.
The refit and new build cost sorium 29.6 ...this is the cost of the new jump engine.

Basicaly so far as I can see there is no rebate for scrapping the old components or re-using parts of them.

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 04:59:35 AM »
Many thanks, I was of the same mind, refits don't give you anything back, I think they should. If it can be done for scrapping it should be possible for refitting.
Ian
IanD