Author Topic: Detection circle not showing up  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Detection circle not showing up
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:48:32 AM »
The NCC has sent 6 DSTS to Ganymede and they show up nicely on the status page.  However, the detection circle itself does not show up on the system display.  I have "show moons" turned off but even when I turn it on the circle doesn't show up on the system display.  Any ideas on why this is, and what are the odds the DSTS's are up and running?

Ganymede has a population and I thought that the circle would essentially show up around Jupiter but so far it has not.

Any experience with this?

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
Re: Detection circle not showing up
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 06:17:52 AM »
Did you set up the passive sensor stuff in the sensors tab? Just to be sure, check "Show passive sensor range" is enabled and the slider is set to some non-zero value.  That being said, it might also be helpful to check that the slider/multiplier is not set to some insanely high signature strength either, else the circle could be larger than the map at any reasonably levels of zoom (especially with high sensor tech).

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »
Did you set up the passive sensor stuff in the sensors tab? Just to be sure, check "Show passive sensor range" is enabled and the slider is set to some non-zero value.  That being said, it might also be helpful to check that the slider/multiplier is not set to some insanely high signature strength either, else the circle could be larger than the map at any reasonably levels of zoom (especially with high sensor tech).

Yes and dont forget to refresh the screen after making any changes, sometimes things just disappear for no reason and refreshing brings them back.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 03:47:19 PM »
I can see the sensor circles for Earth with 10 DSTS and Mars with 6 DSTS but even after setting "show moon" to be on I can't see a circle for the 6 on Ganymede, which at my typical resolution for sol should be just centered on Jupiter.  Even when I center the map on Jupiter...no difference and refresh doesn't change anything.  It is puzzeling as I can see the sensor circle for everything else that has DSTS (civillian mining colonies or extra solar colonies on planets) but it doesn't show up for Ganymede.

The sensors are set to detect strength 121 (the older FGs EM emission strength) so the circles are relatively small (Earth covers its orbital diameter, Mars its orbital radius).

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 01:15:59 AM »
I think you've found an old bug, I'll quote my old post on the subject:
I never had the passive sensor circle working on Jupiters moons, I thought I had reported at a while ago.
I set up sensor platforms on a ring of asteroids around Uranus's as well as one on a small Uranian moon, every one showed a ring except for the Uranian one.
Just checking this, It seems the sensor is showed on the moon, but the circle is too large. With one tracking station and at "to detect signature strength 1000" Asbolus, Nessus, and Crantor show a blue circle 580 million kilometers in diameter, however on Caliban the sensor ring is 1000kilometers at Signature strength 6 . This is actually what I reported a while ago, I just forgot the exact details.
I think that has a typo, and I meant 1000 million kilometres at sensor strength 6.
Interestingly here's the first post for this "bug"
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=5098.0
Way back in 2012 it was discovered that the displayed sensor ranges were using the old range calculation rather than being merely additive, it was quickly fixed, however much later in that thread it was discovered that on moons the range was still incorrect.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:28:48 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 03:25:18 AM »
Marc, what you found was that if the DSTS were set on a moon they generated a ring that was too large?

Looks like the old bug as I use 6.1 but..
Earth has 10 DSTS so detection range for 121 is: 1000*121*10*300 = 363 million km
Mars has 6 DSTS so detection range for 121 is: 1000*121*6*300 = 218 million km

What I see for earth is a circle with radius equal to Earths orbital diameter (150 million km*2 = 300 million km according to my text book) and for Mars is a circle with radius equal to Mars's orbiat radius (228 million km according to my text book) so it looks like the circles are displaying properly but most clearly arrays on moons don't display as you saw.

But at least the mystery is cleared up thank you.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 02:03:29 PM »
Yes, try setting the detection to the lowest possible signature, at a setting as low as 6 the detection circle should be visable.
I'm pretty sure it's just a visible thing, the actual detection radius is correct.
The bug still exists in 6.40 too.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:06:04 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 03:26:20 AM »
Ok did the test and sure enough there was  a circle somewhere in the outer edge of the solar system which is a rather significant difference.  Since I usually have Sol zoomed in at the point where Jupiter's orbit is the last visible no way to see it.

Thanks for the assistance.