Author Topic: any way to view log files for current year?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
any way to view log files for current year?
« on: August 28, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »
It seems like the log files that appear under C:\Logs only go up to December of the previous game year.  Is there any way to view the log for the current year as it is being written, in order to figure out what's slowing down the game?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: any way to view log files for current year?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:17:10 AM »
Yes the Event button will show you the last (in my case) 100 events that have occured.  If you are in SM mode then you will see messages that will tell you why you are in 5 s turns.  The log files are fixed length but how far back they go depends on the number of events not a fixed time interval (so far as I can tell).

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 12:22:46 AM »
Paul, I'm referring to the game logs located in C:\logs\ that tell you what the NPRs are thinking and doing from their own event logs.  The in-game events feed only gives you events for the player race(s).  In SM mode it gives you clues like "this might involve NPRs fighting" but I'm interested in the specifics.  Maybe that makes me a cheater, but I still wanna know!

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 12:28:34 AM »
Ahh...I don't even know these logs exist...so you are on your own. 

Probably should not answer questions when just waking up before coffee...I was thinking that you should know what I wrote but then I forget trivial things all the time.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 12:48:41 AM »
I would love to know thus myself. I have to assume that the events which arent in The log yet are crammed in the database somewhere.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 04:31:49 AM »
This might be what you are looking for:  Event updates, make sure you are in Sm View.  Click the Text File button on the lower left.  Find the file "SMEventLog.txt" in your aurora file.  Find "precursors' or whatever.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 06:54:05 AM »
The event log in the database is pruned back every couple of years. Once you get to 100k events or more it starts to affect performance.

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 02:49:49 PM »
This might be what you are looking for:  Event updates, make sure you are in Sm View.  Click the Text File button on the lower left.  Find the file "SMEventLog.txt" in your aurora file.  Find "precursors' or whatever.
Where is "your aurora file"?  I guess you mean C:/Program Files (x86)/Aurora but I'm getting no text file appearing there. Could be a security issue (Aurora doesn't trigger the system to ask me for admin permission, which would usually happen if I was modifying files in a system folder.)