Author Topic: No Third Party Mods  (Read 25653 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: No Third Party Mods
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 05:28:00 AM »
Quote from: King-Salomon link=topic=10775.  msg123787#msg123787 date=1587032024
anybody who is waiting for any feature (like smaller resolution, QOL etc) can just wait for a few months instead of just ignoring and breaking the law and Steve's wishes!

Okay, i understand Steve.   His project is great, i played it VB6 version on my old PC woth 1280x1024 CRT monitor.   BUT! I saw many wishes to change color cheme years ago, during development of C# version.   As we can see, some random guy from Reddit made it in a single week.   Idk about used protection, i think he spend most of time overriding it.   But making windows resizable is VERY simple! Just set:
this. FormBorderStyle = FormBorderStyle. Sizable; //He probably now using some kind of Fixed
and
this. AutoScroll = true;
on forms.   Thats all! It should take not more than half of a hour! And Community really asks about it! What month's are you talking about?

That doesn't resize windows. It keeps the window the same size but hides parts of its when you 'resize' and then gives you scrollbars to access the missing parts of the window. It looks horrible and will no doubt generate many 'how do I?" posts that would not appear if someone could see the whole window.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 05:31:30 AM »
Steve, I am recommending now that this board be locked most likely because I do not believe proper discussion can be done here, on a united front as the small 1% of people who just do not get "no" means no are gonna keep commenting trying to justify this, as such this thread will just devolve which is sad.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 05:34:23 AM »
Quote from: King-Salomon link=topic=10775.  msg123787#msg123787 date=1587032024
anybody who is waiting for any feature (like smaller resolution, QOL etc) can just wait for a few months instead of just ignoring and breaking the law and Steve's wishes!

Okay, i understand Steve.   His project is great, i played it VB6 version on my old PC woth 1280x1024 CRT monitor.   BUT! I saw many wishes to change color cheme years ago, during development of C# version.   As we can see, some random guy from Reddit made it in a single week.   Idk about used protection, i think he spend most of time overriding it.   But making windows resizable is VERY simple! Just set:
this. FormBorderStyle = FormBorderStyle. Sizable; //He probably now using some kind of Fixed
and
this. AutoScroll = true;
on forms.   Thats all! It should take not more than half of a hour! And Community really asks about it! What month's are you talking about?

This is no excuse at all. There have been hundreds and hundreds of suggestions made on the forum on features, rules etc. Many have been debated in huge detail and a great number have been rejected or not implemented at this stage. To follow your logic would mean anyone who has a wish that has not been addressed should make a mod for it.  Just because its not been implemented and you want it does not mean you go over the wishes of Steve.

Grow up and have some respect.

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm

Offline Kanareika1

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 05:34:54 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10775.  msg123795#msg123795 date=1587032880

That doesn't resize windows.   It keeps the window the same size but hides parts of its when you 'resize' and then gives you scrollbars to access the missing parts of the window.   It looks horrible and will no doubt generate many 'how do I?" posts that would not appear if someone could see the whole window. 

Thank you for answer.   But it's a very simple and working solution! For example, i tried to play 1.  00 version on my laptop with 1920x1080 screen, but i spent some time just to find buttons! Some of them hide under Windows taskbar, some of them even under lower border of screen.   Solution is easy - set Windows scaling to 100% instead of 125%, but it's too hard to read such small text. 

So, yes, it's may be not so good solution, but it's quick override you can make in a half of hour, thats allow Community to enjoy Aurora without such troubles, while you working on bugs and fixes. 

Offline EvadingHostileFleets

• Petty Officer
  • E
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 05:35:41 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10775. msg123792#msg123792 date=1587032524
Quote from: EvadingHostileFleets link=topic=10775. msg123782#msg123782 date=1587031235
I appreciate your hard work and I am long-time Aurora fan. 
But. 
Color scheme and resizable windows were issues consistently brought up by community during C# development, and this mod is a basic QOL change, which is arquably more important than say it quad quad bug fix.   So I cant blame people for trying to tweak this on their own to save their eyes or to enable playing on smaller resolutions when you leave these issues for unspecified future time to be addressed. 

Can you guarantee that this mod will not cause any bugs?

I'd rather not choose between stable Aurora and ability to actually play it, thank you.

The following users thanked this post: Morrigi, Ekskavator

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 05:37:13 AM »
Steve, I am recommending now that this board be locked most likely because I do not believe proper discussion can be done here, on a united front as the small 1% of people who just do not get "no" means no are gonna keep commenting trying to justify this, as such this thread will just devolve which is sad.

Yes, good idea. Debating will just distract me from bug-fixing and I do hope to eventually make it to the suggestions thread :)

I've stated my position, so we will see what happens. I'm locking the thread now.