Author Topic: Terraforming Gasses  (Read 5459 times)

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
Terraforming Gasses
« on: June 09, 2020, 01:30:38 PM »
Is there somewhere I can educate myself about what all the different terraforming gasses do? Things like nitrogen and oxygen are pretty self explanatory, but what the frack is frigusium?
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Terraforming Gasses
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 01:39:58 PM »
From the Aurora C# Lore

Terraforming
Only a few worlds in the universe are habitable. Some species use ground-based infrastructure or orbital habitats to provide living space. Another option is to terraform planets to be suitable for colonisation without any life support requirements. The existence of the Aether makes this process much faster than could be accomplished solely with the resources of normal space. While the Aether is home to the TNE, there are many other common elements within the fluidic environment. A terraforming module opens a small portal between normal space and the Aether and processes the incoming raw material into common atmospheric gases. By selecting the right gases, the environment of a selected planet can be transformed. Two common Aether-only elements, Aestusium and Frigusium, are ideal for this process as they are respectively inert greenhouse and anti-greenhouses gases. Conversely, gases from the atmosphere can be pumped through the portal for easy disposal.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:12:59 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Norm49

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 01:44:26 PM »
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Terraforming

Go to the c# section

Some gas are toxic some make the environment warmer other colder it is all explain there.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 02:20:36 PM »
Sweet, thanks. Maybe someday Venus will be habitable...

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 02:37:36 PM »
The problem with making Venus-like planets habitable is that it takes a lot of terraforming to peel off their existing atmospheres. Building a comfortable atmosphere after you've stripped them down is usually no big deal.

In my game I've nearly gotten Mercury to zero colony cost. And I didn't even intend to colonize Mercury, there were some ruins there and they excavated working infrastructure, and then before I noticed what was happening the shipping lines had settled too many people there for me to evacuate. So I sent over the terraformers once Luna and Mars didn't need them anymore.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »
The problem with making Venus-like planets habitable is that it takes a lot of terraforming to peel off their existing atmospheres. Building a comfortable atmosphere after you've stripped them down is usually no big deal.

In my game I've nearly gotten Mercury to zero colony cost. And I didn't even intend to colonize Mercury, there were some ruins there and they excavated working infrastructure, and then before I noticed what was happening the shipping lines had settled too many people there for me to evacuate. So I sent over the terraformers once Luna and Mars didn't need them anymore.

I love and hate that sometimes. It shows that people in your empire are doing their own thing but it can also sidetrack you.

Offline amschnei

• Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 03:36:59 PM »
About half of the listed non-greenhouse gasses on the wiki should actually have a warming effect (everything but hydrogen, oxygen, the halogens, and the noble gasses)

EDIT: I mean that they physically would be warming if they existed in sufficient quantities, not saying the wiki is wrong as to their in-game effects.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 03:57:35 PM »
About half of the listed non-greenhouse gasses on the wiki should actually have a warming effect (everything but hydrogen, oxygen, the halogens, and the noble gasses)

EDIT: I mean that they physically would be warming if they existed in sufficient quantities, not saying the wiki is wrong as to their in-game effects.
They actually do - and I'm wondering why you think oxygen, halogens, and noble gasses shouldn't.

As far as I can tell all gasses (even Frigusium) contribute 10% of their pressure in atm to the planetary greenhouse factor. In addition to that greenhouse-active gasses add their full pressure, or subtract it for Frigusium.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 04:23:09 PM »
The formula is:
Surface Temp(K) = Base Temp(K) * Albedo Factor * Greenhouse Factor
Greenhouse Factor = 1 + Total Pressure * 0.1 + Greenhouse Pressure - Anti-Greenhouse Pressure, capped at 3

Normal gasses increase GF by 0.1, greenhouse gasses increase it by 1.1, and Frigisium subtracts 0.9.

Offline amschnei

• Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 05:38:06 PM »
As mentioned, yes, the formula does mean all gasses contribute slightly to greenhouse pressure. The molecules I mentioned are transparent to IR radiation. The others, including many listed as non-greenhouse gasses, are not, and so would be contributors.

Its all sorta besides the point, though, since most of those cause colony cost, and so the first thing you'd do when terraforming is to remove those.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 11:59:26 AM »
Follow up question:

How can I remove gasses from a colony's atmosphere? Do just set the atmospheric pressure to zero and tick the add gas box?

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 12:11:58 PM »
Follow up question:

How can I remove gasses from a colony's atmosphere? Do just set the atmospheric pressure to zero and tick the add gas box?
Don't tick the add gas box. Then it won't add gas, but if it needs to to hit its target it will remove it.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 01:08:03 PM »
I see. No adding negative gas.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 02:03:30 PM »
Alright something isn't working quite right...

I have several terraforming installations on Venus and a population of about 7m to operate them. I have CO2 set to 0 atm and the 'add gas' box is not checked, however after several years I have observed zero change in the CO2 levels in the Venusian atmosphere. What am I missing here?

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 02:19:17 PM »
Alright something isn't working quite right...

I have several terraforming installations on Venus and a population of about 7m to operate them. I have CO2 set to 0 atm and the 'add gas' box is not checked, however after several years I have observed zero change in the CO2 levels in the Venusian atmosphere. What am I missing here?

...workers! I am missing 15m workers. Additional infrastructure en-route.