Author Topic: "Freeze Orders" setting for task groups  (Read 1545 times)

Offline FunnyMan3595 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • F
"Freeze Orders" setting for task groups
« on: August 23, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
Several times, I've set a complex string of orders for a task group, only to find that the first order won't be possible right away.   Sometimes, this means that I need to reconsider the orders, but more often it's just a result of not satisfying a precondition.   My current example is a scout fleet that's trapped in a system with no way to jump out, because the jump gate that should have been built ages ago was delayed due to catastrophic equipment failure (read: destruction in battle) of the construction ship.

The problem this creates is that I have a complex set of orders that I still want to be executed, but that can't start right now, as it will throw an error and prevent me from advancing time.   Naturally, it's possible to work around the problem by simply clearing the orders and rebuilding them later, but for anything more than 3-4 entries, this starts to get very frustrating.   Instead, I would love to have a "Freeze Orders" setting which causes the task group to ignore its queued orders and sit idle.   Then, when the situation is resolved, the orders can simply be unfrozen and allowed to proceed as though no interruption had occurred.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: "Freeze Orders" setting for task groups
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:00:07 PM »
Simple solution.  Set task group speed to 0 until you wish to resume, then rest TG speed as desired.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Kinvadren

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:01 AM »
Good idea Charlie.

But it would be really handy if there was a "Wait" Order/Command. . .  I realize that I may once again be showing my ignorance here and that there actually might already be such a thing but I've not figure it out yet. . .  However if such a thing does not exist, I agree that it would be very helpful to have a Order/Command for a Task Group that "Pauses" a whole set of Actions or that can be added to the list of current Actions (just like how you can add other Orders).  That way you could have a series of orders that loop but have a "Pause For 10 Days" (or something) at the end or beginning of the cycle.

Having a few more Dependent Orders would be nice too, like how Mineral Loading can be set to only happen if at least 1 Mineral is available for transfer.  But adding more things like that (almost like IF. . . THEN statements) might get really complicated and be a serious pain to program.

Offline icecoldblood

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:05:48 AM »
There is a "Order Delay" box below the "Actions Available" box in the Task Groups Screen.

Offline crys

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • c
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:24:36 AM »
i think it would be nice too, if you could remove orders at any place in the queue, instead of just the last one.
yes this could and will cause problems, but it could save alot of time too.