Author Topic: Locating NPR population centers  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Bandus (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
  • Discord Username: Bandus#6943
Locating NPR population centers
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:55:05 AM »
I was reading another thread here in the academy and a comment was made that led me to ponder my own game and a problem I am having. I have encountered and had several peaceful contacts (read: missiles exchanged in a show of...friendship), with a NPR race. Additionally, I have found several "populations" of the NPR except minus the population. Instead, simply listening posts are all I've found and captured. So the two questions I have are:

1.) Is there a recommend way of easily finding additional populations (with actual beings on them or not)

2.) When one of my survey ships gets near an enemy population with low thermal/EM, of course it gives a detection message in the game log. But, once the ship leaves there is no indication that something was found there later down the road. Short of writing it down, is there a way to flag a body as an enemy population center, for example?
"Just this once --- everybody lives!" - My Doctor

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Locating NPR population centers
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 10:00:58 AM »
On the F9 system window, you can set the controlling race. Dropdown on the top, mid-right. If you set it to the NPR, then on your galactic map, that system shows as theirs. Also makes it easy to shift their systems together so you have a "border".

Offline Bandus (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
  • Discord Username: Bandus#6943
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
As always, I thank you Erik. This does somewhat solve the problem it seems, but it appears only on the "system" level. I guess more specifically what I'm wondering is, lets say I have occupied a system. I want to know if the "enemy" has a listening post somewhere in the system. Short of sending a ship to every single asteroid to check, I'm not entirely clear on how to find these listening posts. (My passive sensors aren't quite awesome yet).  Additionally, once I've found them, if I am not in a position to deal with them immediately I want to be able to mark the specific asteroid as "hostile."

Is there any way to have ships patrol from asteroid to asteroid (or other body to body) to ensure NPRs haven't put a listening post down? Is there a way to mark a specific body as hostile as opposed to the entire system?

Thanks again!
"Just this once --- everybody lives!" - My Doctor

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 11:48:30 AM »
Well, to mark a body you could plop down an empty colony, or ban the body through the system info window

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »
My geosurvey ships found them all when I sent them out. Survey next asteroid works for that at least if you have a geosurvey module on the vessel. As for flagging them, I think you just have to write them down, that or you could found a colony on the asteroid and rename it to something like "here be dragons/evil space weevils from hell"

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »
Well, to mark a body you could plop down an empty colony, or ban the body through the system info window

Or simply re-name the body to something like "Kilrathi Outpost No. 3" or something like that.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany