Author Topic: Missile-Based Cryogenics... Terraforming? For Colonizing!? YEEESSS.  (Read 6639 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
 --- Exactly what it reads on the tin, could we maybe have the ability to spend Missile Size Points on Cryogenic Berths and use missiles to shoot our colonists around? I mean, I think it would be cool, and at least plausible. Have techs for it under Missiles / Kinetic Weapons; with increments for 10 / 100 / 1000 / 10000 Colonists per MSP? I think it would add some depth to the game.

--- Also, Terraforming Missiles would be an interesting idea... but probably hella complicated to code.

Cheers!

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Missile-Based Cryogenics... Terraforming? For Colonizing!? YEEESSS.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 04:07:06 AM »
Missiles are... not very big, I don't think your idea makes sense unless you are also proposing some sort of colonist compression technology.

Though it does bring up the idea of automated colony ships, like one shot vessels that bring colonists to a planet and then are converted into infrastructure/installations or something, which is an idea I could get behind.

As for terraforming missiles I sort of like the idea of loading up gases into missile and firing them at the planet you want to change from billions of km away, it seems like it would be incredibly inefficient though, and also a good way to use terraforming to kill populations without harming installations. So I think maybe it won't be happening sadly.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 04:13:48 AM »
One use colony ships is something that could make sense and also save on micromanagement from moving them around, refitting etc.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 07:39:34 AM »
I mean, I think it would be cool, and at least plausible. Have techs for it under Missiles / Kinetic Weapons; with increments for 10 / 100 / 1000 / 10000 Colonists per MSP? I think it would add some depth to the game.

One HS = 50 ton
One HS = 20 MSP

This means 1 MSP = 2.5 ton

How do you propose fitting 10000 colonists into something that is somewhere in size between a large car or smaller freight container and argue that this is plausible?

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 10:49:54 AM »
For that matter, fitting 10 people in that space along with the needed support equipment would be a bit of a trick. Current cryogenic transport rules does support it being possible as the smallest transport system fits 200 in 1 HS (or 20 MSP), but that's on the basis it's mounted on a ship and supported by crew.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 10:54:23 AM »
Missiles are... not very big, I don't think your idea makes sense unless you are also proposing some sort of colonist compression technology.

I did the math once and I think the numbers I came up with was that even a size 2 missile was about the size of a shipping container. Which makes sense considering that given their range they're probably like small starships in their own right, and explains why limited missile ammo is always a big concern in Aurora compared to other games.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »
Yeah but a shipping container is still nowhere near big enough to house 1000 people, regardless of being in cryogenic sleep or not. In that context missiles are not large, despite being bigger than most of our current military missiles.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 01:27:15 PM »
I just pulled those numbers outta my ass for the sake of brainstorming. The idea of 10 Colonists per MSP was what I had in mind originally, with 100 being a better version.

On the subject of cramming 10,000 people into a 2.5 Ton sardine can... it depends what that can is made of.

2.5 tons of Lead and 2.5 Tons of Helium weigh the same, but occupy drastically different amounts space to achieve that.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 01:29:56 PM »
@Panopticon

--- Would be cool if there were modules for the installations; that way you could make a colony ship with multiple installations.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 02:56:58 PM »
Okay so you make a 50 MSP missile with 10 MSP of it being engine and rest colonist transport. That's 400 settlers. You'll have to build a lot of those to move any significant number. I get that it would be kinda cool from a RP standpoint, but it just seems like a lot of extra work for Steve for an extremely marginal feature that hardly anyone would ever use.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »
I just feel like it doesn't make any real sense either, colonists need infrastructure and installations otherwise they don't do anything and probably die, so unless we are loading those into missiles too then you have to send ships to the planet anyway, and if we are sending ship to the planet anyway then we my as well send a colony ship too.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »
Hullsize in tons is less an absolute measure of mass and more a measure of volume. IIRC it's based on approximate volume of an equal size steel ship's water displacement.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 05:45:33 PM »
Hullsize in tons is less an absolute measure of mass and more a measure of volume. IIRC it's based on approximate volume of an equal size steel ship's water displacement.

Liquid hydrogen, as I recall.

Offline Ranged66

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 03:27:49 AM »
There's a suggestion thread already, featuring far better suggestions deserving of their own thread than this one...

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 04:12:46 AM »
Now we are having a perfectly nice discussion here.