Author Topic: Jump Point Tanks  (Read 5413 times)

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: Jump Point Tanks
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 05:48:42 PM »
Was just discussing this on the dwarf fortress forum.
Someone mentioned how effective a bunch of CIWS was on a freighter, I suggested the classic armour ball: a freighter with lots of CIWS and armour, perhaps enough speed to keep up with the rest of the fleet, and for good measure a bunch of size 1 sensors.
Blue Emu used them in the "Ad Astra" game on the Paradox forums. They were very effective, as I remember.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »
Was just discussing this on the dwarf fortress forum.
Someone mentioned how effective a bunch of CIWS was on a freighter, I suggested the classic armour ball: a freighter with lots of CIWS and armour, perhaps enough speed to keep up with the rest of the fleet, and for good measure a bunch of size 1 sensors.

Ive used this method before.  Giant, armored commercial ships with lots of CIWS.  Send them in random directions.   For RP purposes I assume automated pilots :)   It doesn't need to keep up with the fleet, as you can stage on the other side before jumping.

Cheaper than building dedicated jump ships and researching advanced jump tech.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »
I've used specially designed assault cruisers before; slow, usually lots of armor (this was before shock damage.. does anyone know if shields stay at full power after a jump?) and a high jump distance on the jump ship, with redundant systems and usually lots of short range missiles in box launchers. The idea being for them to jump through and survive until their systems come up, then cover for other ships as they come through.

On the other hand, I stopped using them since I almost never see the AI defend a jump point. Kind of a pity, since it would add some more diverse tactical situations.

Offline LtWarhound

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3703.0.html

Minelaying immediately after jump transit shouldn't work, sorry.  My fallback plan at that time was cheap tiny fighters, 100 tons each.  Push through a few squadrons, have them outrun the defenders (pretty much instantly) and then circle back to surgically strike the important targets.  Or try to get the defenders to chase them.

Offline Tanj

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »
On the other hand, I stopped using them since I almost never see the AI defend a jump point. Kind of a pity, since it would add some more diverse tactical situations.

Actually, I've seen the AI defend several jump points in my games! In fact I've twice lost entire assault fleets to AI fleets defending jump points - but I think the key is if the AI sees you using that jump point.