Author Topic: Auto assign and fire?  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
Auto assign and fire?
« on: May 26, 2020, 01:23:16 PM »
In VB6 there was a very handy autofire setting for ships, where they would automatically acquire and fire on targets of opportunity - very handy for guarding jump points, etc. It would be great to have that back!

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Auto assign and fire?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 09:19:50 AM »
No, in VB Aurora there was an NPR-only 'autofire' button that was accidentally left visible to players which caused endless amounts of grief, complaints, and bug reports.

In C# Aurora there's a few quick clicks to open fire on a target.  I, for one, would certainly not be in favour of a setting I could accidentally leave on that would make my ships blow away anyone that came near.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 01:17:20 PM »
No, in VB Aurora there was an NPR-only 'autofire' button that was accidentally left visible to players which caused endless amounts of grief, complaints, and bug reports.

In C# Aurora there's a few quick clicks to open fire on a target.  I, for one, would certainly not be in favour of a setting I could accidentally leave on that would make my ships blow away anyone that came near.

Just never turn it on if you don't need it in the first place.

I never had any issues with it.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 12:34:55 PM »
Autofire would definitely be nice in terms of acquiring new targets when the currently assigned one cant be fired at no more.
However I would not want it to automatically set all my FCs to fire. I may want to conserve missiles and the like for example. Just have it affect already activated FCs.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 01:19:04 PM »

I wouldn't say 'no issues', but if you went out of your way to design compatible ships and the stars aligned just right then it worked like a charm.

Autofire would definitely be nice in terms of acquiring new targets when the currently assigned one cant be fired at no more.
However I would not want it to automatically set all my FCs to fire. I may want to conserve missiles and the like for example. Just have it affect already activated FCs.
It was a per-ship setting and was fussy about both the ship design and how weapons were assigned to fire controls.  IIRC, one of those limits was only allowing two fire controls per ship.  The key to using it effectively was to only use it with ships that were designed for it.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 01:26:56 PM »

I wouldn't say 'no issues', but if you went out of your way to design compatible ships and the stars aligned just right then it worked like a charm.

It was a per-ship setting and was fussy about both the ship design and how weapons were assigned to fire controls.  IIRC, one of those limits was only allowing two fire controls per ship.  The key to using it effectively was to only use it with ships that were designed for it.

Well I guess all my ships were compatible cause again I never hard any issues with it. It worked like a charm for all types of ships I tried it out on. I actually really miss it cause I need to micro my fighters much more than I did in VB.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 01:42:22 PM »

Well I guess all my ships were compatible cause again I never hard any issues with it. It worked like a charm for all types of ships I tried it out on. I actually really miss it cause I need to micro my fighters much more than I did in VB.
Fighters were where it worked the best, because they tend to be simple enough designs that the AI can cope with them.  Anything with more than two fire controls or that used FC/weapon pairings that the AI didn't understand was begging for trouble.

Offline Malorn

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 07:41:24 AM »
Given that we have auto setup for such things now, I don't think an auto fire mode, targeting hostiles only, would cause any problems.

And it would very much help, especially when engaging a swarm of light craft with a few larger ships.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 09:37:47 AM »
Given that we have auto setup for such things now, I don't think an auto fire mode, targeting hostiles only, would cause any problems.

And it would very much help, especially when engaging a swarm of light craft with a few larger ships.

Yeah right now what I have to do is have the naval combat screen in one corner so that I can spam "Auto target BFC" before every 5s increment

Offline Malorn

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 12:55:22 PM »

Yeah right now what I have to do is have the naval combat screen in one corner so that I can spam "Auto target BFC" before every 5s increment

Yep, same here.