Author Topic: Empty Fleet Teleport  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Droll (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Empty Fleet Teleport
« on: June 09, 2020, 04:10:17 PM »
Right now when creating an empty fleet, said fleet will default to the system body that the parent HQ is at. This is fine but sometimes I like to plan my orbital defenses and create specially named fleets that need to be at certain planets.

Right now the only way to move an empty fleet is to use SM mode and move it there, but eventually the list of colonies get really long (and it needs SM in the first place). I suggest that fleets with nothing in them should just teleport to where ever you give them move commands to, or alternatively when creating fleets have the option to deploy them at any colony and not just the default location.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Empty Fleet Teleport
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 07:57:58 PM »
You do not  have to be in SM mode to move a fleet.  The command is on the Miscellaneous tab of the Naval Organization window.  If the problem is the number of colonies makes the list too long, how would adding another command that does the same thing make the list shorter?

Offline Thrake

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 03:09:40 AM »
I have two issues with the current system:
- it seems to be sorted by which colony was created first, which is not very handy in finding which comet #10 is in the system Marco Polo
- it is not possible to move empty fleets to gas giants to my understanding as it can't be turned into a colony

It does work and I still create empty fleets and magically move them to then dump stations there but I think at least sorting the list by system or displaying which system the body belongs to would be a good start. Or perhaps it could be possible to give empty fleets faster than light travel speed so they could be moved anywhere in an increment.

Offline Droll (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 05:30:53 AM »
You do not  have to be in SM mode to move a fleet.  The command is on the Miscellaneous tab of the Naval Organization window.  If the problem is the number of colonies makes the list too long, how would adding another command that does the same thing make the list shorter?

Movement commands effectively allow you to sort that long list by system

Offline Droll (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 05:32:28 AM »
I have two issues with the current system:
- it seems to be sorted by which colony was created first, which is not very handy in finding which comet #10 is in the system Marco Polo
- it is not possible to move empty fleets to gas giants to my understanding as it can't be turned into a colony

It does work and I still create empty fleets and magically move them to then dump stations there but I think at least sorting the list by system or displaying which system the body belongs to would be a good start. Or perhaps it could be possible to give empty fleets faster than light travel speed so they could be moved anywhere in an increment.

We forget to mention that said list is swamped by a myriad of CMCs. Tangentially, CMCs are also problem when assigning civilian administrators so some sort of filter for both lists would be nice.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 02:34:39 PM »
You can place a colony on a gas giant (and a governor, which added to the mining bonus of the fuel harvesters) I did it accidentally in 1.9.5.  I have not gone back to that DB to try and see if I could place ground structures in that colony.

Offline Thrake

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 02:37:53 PM »
You can place a colony on a gas giant (and a governor, which added to the mining bonus of the fuel harvesters) I did it accidentally in 1.9.5.  I have not gone back to that DB to try and see if I could place ground structures in that colony.

When I click to create the colony, nothing happens.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 02:49:04 PM »
Are you certain that it was on the gas giant itself and not on a closely orbiting moon?  If it was on the GG and you can find a way to reproduce it then please report it in the bugs thread.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 03:06:20 PM »
I will try this evening

Offline Feeble

• Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 10:29:05 PM »

Can you elaborate on this? I can see how to use the "Move Fleet" button to move an empty fleet, but how do you sort the list of colonies in the Miscellaneous tab using "Movement commands that effectively allow you to sort... by system"?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:42:10 PM by Feeble »

Offline Droll (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 08:42:58 AM »

Can you elaborate on this? I can see how to use the "Move Fleet" button to move an empty fleet, but how do you sort the list of colonies in the Miscellaneous tab using "Movement commands that effectively allow you to sort... by system"?

When using movement commands you are only shown whatever bodies that are in that system. So if you click "auto-route by system" you are shown a list of systems and you go to the one where your target is. This means you only really have to remember which system your destination is and you only have to look through bodies in one system.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »

When using movement commands you are only shown whatever bodies that are in that system. So if you click "auto-route by system" you are shown a list of systems and you go to the one where your target is. This means you only really have to remember which system your destination is and you only have to look through bodies in one system.
Droll, the question was about using the 'Move Fleet' button under the Miscellaneous tab, which moves a fleet instantly, not the Movement Orders tab, which requires time.  As empty fleets move at 1km/s, Move Fleet is the only viable way to move them, which is why empty fleets can be moved this way without SM mode.  The problem is that there is no way to sort or filter the list of possible destinations.  You could easily have 30 'Comet #1's scattered through the list with no way to easily find them, let alone tell them apart.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 06:32:38 PM »

Droll, the question was about using the 'Move Fleet' button under the Miscellaneous tab, which moves a fleet instantly, not the Movement Orders tab, which requires time.  As empty fleets move at 1km/s, Move Fleet is the only viable way to move them, which is why empty fleets can be moved this way without SM mode.  The problem is that there is no way to sort or filter the list of possible destinations.  You could easily have 30 'Comet #1's scattered through the list with no way to easily find them, let alone tell them apart.
If the comet is important enough, you can give it a unique name or add the system name as a prefix.

Offline Droll (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 10:32:58 PM »

No it wasn't, he says that he already knew what Move Fleet does, he wanted me to clarify how standard move commands help to narrow down the list to a "by system" basis, which is why I talk about movement commands and not "move fleet"

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 03:24:49 AM »
No it wasn't, he says that he already knew what Move Fleet does, he wanted me to clarify how standard move commands help to narrow down the list to a "by system" basis, which is why I talk about movement commands and not "move fleet"
It seem that I got mixed up somewhere.  I apologize.

The following users thanked this post: Droll