Author Topic: Gauss cannons  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
Re: Gauss cannons
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 10:55:31 AM »
Against missiles and when mounted on a slow ship, GC can outperform railguns all the way down to RoF 3 since they can be mounted in turrets.

Offline obsidian_green

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »
Against missiles and when mounted on a slow ship, GC can outperform railguns all the way down to RoF 3 since they can be mounted in turrets.

I'm a Gauss cannon turret fiend already. My question (as opposed to the OP's) was about when reduced-size Gauss makes the most sense on fighters. I went dual, 25% accuracy Gauss on my very first fighter design, but was scared over to a single railgun by the number of misses in the event updates. I miss the lower tonnage, but look forward to actually hitting targets.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »
As far as I can tell, accuracy goes does linearly with size, meaning that you get the same number of hits with 12 1/12 size gauss cannon as you do with one full size.  Which means you can put 1/12 sized quad turrets on a slow fighter.

Going with the reduced size also reduces the research cost, making it far more palatable to upgrade your turret designs every time you get a new gauss tech.

There are a lot of systems I have making the really big versions of, (like sensors), because the cumulative cost can end up more than simply researching the next tech advance in the tree.

The following users thanked this post: obsidian_green

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 02:46:47 PM »
Gauss cannon base hit chance IS linear to size.  Steve has said that -- for example -- although 1/6 size Gauss Cannons claim to have a 17% base hit chance in the description, it's actually 16.666...%

This means that absent any other modifiers, six size 1 Gauss Cannons will average the same number of hits as one size 6 Gauss Cannon.  Since most bonuses and penalties are multiplicative, these averages will remain constant in those cases.

Crew Rating, on the other hand, is NOT.  Highly skilled Fighter pilots/crew will ADD their flat bonus to hit chances, resulting in (for example) hit chance multipliers of 105% for one size 6 Gauss Cannon and 21.666...% * 6 for six size 1 Gauss Cannons (equivalent to one shot at 131%).

Therefore, with Conscript crews you want the largest size GC that you can fit, whereas with trained and/or experienced crews, the smallest.  Multiple smaller GC also have advantages in the 'at least X hits' category, redundancy, and -as noted by Michael Sandy - reseaerch/Tech costs.  They suffer in damage absorption (you have watch total HTK closely) and potential overkill (for example, when you are trying to cripple engines prior to boarding enemy vessels).

The following users thanked this post: obsidian_green

Iranon

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 05:33:58 PM »
Also: turrets with more barrels need proportionally less overhead in turret gear for a given tracking speed... but a full-size quad may be more firepower than we want per fire control.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 05:54:12 PM »
There IS a scenario where fullsized Gauss may have an advantage.

If you have PD with a 100% intercept vs known enemy missiles, then you know exactly how much PD you need to completely defeat a volley.

If you have 10 times as many PD with a 10% intercept, the distribution may be such that sometimes you will actually intercept far fewer missiles.

But this is kind of rare, since you are more likely to have a 95%, allowing for a miss distribution, or 105%, meaning wasted accuracy.

Offline FrederickAlexander

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »
So, how boring is it waiting for a 250 ton gauss fighter to nibble a 100kton freighter to death? LOL.
I never send a single fighter and perfer to send them out in squadrons... that being said, it still takes a long time to bring down a freighter half that size.