Author Topic: Change Log for 6.30 Discussion  (Read 30995 times)

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
Re: Change Log for 6.30 Discussion
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2013, 03:58:16 PM »
Besides, I don't think Aurora is slow due to a CPU bottleneck. I think it's slow since it treats everything as a database and is constantly reading/writing. That's why I got a Solid State Drive :)

For a cheaper alternative, a RAMDisk might work.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2013, 12:40:16 PM »
There are some cpu bottlenecks like the sensor model(which can be turned off), but optimizing means doing a great deal of bug testing as well, the system as it is is stable if not particularly fast.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »
Besides, I don't think Aurora is slow due to a CPU bottleneck. I think it's slow since it treats everything as a database and is constantly reading/writing. That's why I got a Solid State Drive :)

For a cheaper alternative, a RAMDisk might work.

I did some experiments with a RAMDISK and it made zero difference.

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
Steve, would it be possible implement a simple, optional automation for medal reward, to be used in awarding "Long Service Award" type of medals.

Offline Cocyte

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
Steve, would it be possible implement a simple, optional automation for medal reward, to be used in awarding "Long Service Award" type of medals.

Or an "Award medal to all officer in current fleet" option... I'm using a lot of ribbons awarded whenever an officer was part of a given military operation, but it's quite unwieldy (It requires to switch from fleet view to ship details to know the name of the officer, then switch to the officer rooster window to award the ribbon)

Offline Aloriel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »
Coctyte, I have a relatively simple way of dealing with that. I use the titles system to designate what each officer is assigned to (and I don't use the automated assignment system). So, if I have someone commanding the CV Venerable, I put that as their title. If the ships are of a type that doesn't have a name (like a fighter), I will just put the type for the title, e.g. FTR. For staff officers, this might be COps SOLCOM - Chief of operations, Sol Command, or CiC SOLCOM - Commander in Chief, Sol Command.

This becomes less practical as you get more and more academies, since you get a larger influx of officers. But still, it's fairly useful for a very long time.

It also helps me keep track of what positions need to be filled. If an officer dies, I can see by their title what they were assigned to. Not every message reporting an officer leaving a position (dead, retired, etc) actually says what position they had.

Anyway, the end result is that since I have these titles, I can see who's in what ship without a lot of flipping back and forth. As such, I can award a medal to every member of a fleet because I can see all of that data.

Your suggestion, however, is sound. I am just giving you a potential temporary work around. :)
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »
Hi, I have totally fell in love with aurora, despite I'm still a newbish..

What I would like to see implemented on, is:
1) the possibility for the alien to invade other body by using ground forces exactly like the human players have to do.
2) Some very very simple graphic symbols for ships, and missles at least. It would improve the attractiveness of the game enourmusly!

Offline TallTroll

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2013, 09:56:37 AM »
>> 1) the possibility for the alien to invade other body by using ground forces exactly like the human players have to do.

I think that would require a fairly substantial AI upgrade. Currently, the AI is a bit basic in all areas, and isn't terribly good at the kind of planning that would be required to use ground forces properly

>> 2) Some very very simple graphic symbols for ships, and missles at least. It would improve the attractiveness of the game enourmusly!

I suspect it might make things look a bit messy, quite quickly

A Harpoon-style formation editor would be extremely useful though, especially if it allowed the "zoned" deployments as Harpoon does. It might be a bit trickier to implement though, since Harpoon has the advantage of working with relatively stable techs, and simply has to specify an anti-air and ASW ring. The number of possible fleet compositions / strategies in Aurora far exceeds even the largest and most complex Harpoon scenarios

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2013, 12:41:05 AM »
Military and commercial tonnage totals on the F6 display, truly awesome.