Author Topic: Navy Officers, Army Officers, Civilians and Scientists  (Read 9958 times)

Offline Elmo

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
Re: Navy Officers, Army Officers, Civilians and Scientists
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 05:56:42 PM »
Newbie talking out his orifice again:

Could there be an Engineering bonus for some Naval Officers?  Think "Scotty" who could add to repair rate, engine performance, sensor performance, or whatever.

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 05:51:49 AM »
Do Leader bonuses for either Logistics or Operations improve cargo or troop load/unload times?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 09:05:29 AM »
Quote from: "Elmo"
Do Leader bonuses for either Logistics or Operations improve cargo or troop load/unload times?

Not if the bonus belongs to the actual ship commander, AFAIK (STEVE:  could you change/fix this, especially for troop transports?  If you do fix it, then "logistics" could become the selection attribute for assigning commanders to TT/cargo/colony ships during auto-assign).

If you put the ship (actually the task group to which the ship belongs) into a Task Force, however (mouse over the buttons at the top of the system map (F3) screen to find the task force button, or look through the menus on "empires" pull-down on the main program bar), the logistics bonus of the task force speeds up the loading and unloading, as long as the task group is in the same system as the task force command group (which needs to either be on a planet or embarked on a ship with a flag bridge for it to give any bonus).  Note that you should put your officer with highest logistics bonus into the "logistics officer" staff slot, since only a percentage (25%?) of the task force commander's bonus is applied.

I usually make a "Logistics Command" task force HQ'd on Earth and assign all my cargo/colony fleets to it - hadn't thought about it, but I should probably do the same for troop transports now.  This avoids the requirement of creating a special ship with a flag bridge and forming my cargo ships into fixed task forces that sail together.

One caveat: Steve only recently put load times in for troop transports - it used to be instantaneous.  So there's a possibility that he missed out on coding up the bonuses for transports.  I doubt that this is the case, though, since they do pay attention to cargo handling system (CHS, for the glossary :-) ), so I suspect that all ships that are loading/unloading use the same routine to calculate load times.

John

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 10:11:53 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

Not if the bonus belongs to the actual ship commander, AFAIK (STEVE:  could you change/fix this, especially for troop transports?  If you do fix it, then "logistics" could become the selection attribute for assigning commanders to TT/cargo/colony ships during auto-assign).  

That was what I was hoping for an answer.   :-) ), so I suspect that all ships that are loading/unloading use the same routine to calculate load times.

John[/quote]

Thanks.  Of course the above brings up several more questions in my newbie mind but I'll wait for Steve to do the Task Group Tutorial first.  I feel a bit self conscious asking so many questions, but I do try to figure it out before asking.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 07:43:52 PM »
Of course the above brings up several more questions in my newbie mind

That was part of the intent of the answer :-)

John

Offline Zangi

• Leading Rate
  • Z
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
I think this isn't a bug, but it is related to commanders and stuff.

Background Information: Alright, so I had a ship which didn't make it to the overhaul station in time when I finally got to it.  16-17 years by then...  I was puzzled as to why it was missing practically all the survey equipment I put on it...  It lost the last piece on its way back before kicking the can, practically right at the docks cause it was right there.

The captain survived and I rescued him.  But, he gets canned right after as non-essential.  I was thinking of giving him a 'Congratulations, you survived my first maintenance failure medal.'

So the question is... is this supposed to happen?  Even though he has not been 'assigned' for the 16.8 years that he was cooped up in deep space surveying stuff?

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 01:40:09 AM »
I had a thought on to the length of research time for late game techs, by having more then one planet researching on the subject. With possible caveats of if a planet gets conquered or destroyed any research points generate from that facility would be lost or a depreciated amount lost.

It also gave the idea for having research labs that provide equal bonus RP to all projects in the empire as a way of displaying: confirmation of experiment results, more empirical data, shifting through terabytes of information. A way to show grunt work and the scientific community of the empire interchange of papers and ideas.

On top of this we could also have an option to block extra RP from certain project to play those out as black projects, the scientific community is absent of its knowledge.

Offline plugger

• Petty Officer
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 09:47:06 PM »
Goodaye,

New here but I'd like to toss an idea into the pot. One of the best parts of Aurora from a roleplaying perspective are the 'personalities'.

I've noticed that they all have various bonuses (none of which are negative as far as I can tell) and traits (which I understand are for decoration purposes only).

I'd like to suggest that any leader - of whatever persuasion - that generates a group 6 trait, eg. 'Cowardly / Malicious / Character Flaws type of trait, gets lumbered with a negative bonus in a random related field (eg. something relevant to the discipline they are in) as a consequence.

The thinking here is that Head Consul Blair, currently in charge of the fledgingly Mars colony, is - in addition to his finer qualities - an indecisive ditherer which gives him a minus 20% bonus to Production. Yep, he may be a red hot administrator and know an awful lot about efficiently taxing the population but he couldn't put a set of Lego together, let alone coordinate massive planetary projects.

The advantages of doing this are that it adds depth to the personalities, it makes deciding who to put where more interesting (eg. So Commander Zero has a great fleet bonus but is known to be a Logistical Black Hole...), provides characters with greater depth (good and bad aspects, a bit like us) and puts a zing in tail of any nasty group 6 traits.

Plus I'd enjoy the addition and it wouldn't be me having to code it.

[edit] Wrong sub-forum. Ooops.

Cheers,
Plugger

Offline Texashawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 01:45:20 AM »
I'm sorry, I know this is the wrong forum but this would be the pinnacle (or *a* pinnacle) of tactical officer usage. I don't know how hard this would be to code, but I was looking for days to see if the various traits assigned actually *did* anything - I thought for sure, with a game of this much depth and majesty, there had to be some effect!!!

Just sayin'.  8)

Steve

Quote from: "plugger"
Goodaye,

New here but I'd like to toss an idea into the pot. One of the best parts of Aurora from a roleplaying perspective are the 'personalities'.

I've noticed that they all have various bonuses (none of which are negative as far as I can tell) and traits (which I understand are for decoration purposes only).

I'd like to suggest that any leader - of whatever persuasion - that generates a group 6 trait, eg. 'Cowardly / Malicious / Character Flaws type of trait, gets lumbered with a negative bonus in a random related field (eg. something relevant to the discipline they are in) as a consequence.

The thinking here is that Head Consul Blair, currently in charge of the fledgingly Mars colony, is - in addition to his finer qualities - an indecisive ditherer which gives him a minus 20% bonus to Production. Yep, he may be a red hot administrator and know an awful lot about efficiently taxing the population but he couldn't put a set of Lego together, let alone coordinate massive planetary projects.

The advantages of doing this are that it adds depth to the personalities, it makes deciding who to put where more interesting (eg. So Commander Zero has a great fleet bonus but is known to be a Logistical Black Hole...), provides characters with greater depth (good and bad aspects, a bit like us) and puts a zing in tail of any nasty group 6 traits.

Plus I'd enjoy the addition and it wouldn't be me having to code it.

[edit] Wrong sub-forum. Ooops.

Cheers,
Plugger

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2015, 05:45:44 AM »
What I really want to know, is how to do I assign to my fleets "moral" officer aka Commissar.

Also I can't find much info on anything since the OP, so any info on promotions, medals, traits leveling strategies would be greatly appriacted  :D

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2015, 07:57:14 PM »
Ok how about some specifics, here are few:

1. Can you increase leader bonuses by training, combat or just through "time served" on assignments? And are there  any other factor that increase leaders efficiency?
2. Ignoring specific themes,  what is the underlying command hierarchy? and is there any effective assignment strategies e.g. in HOI you can "groom" new leaders by throwing them into divisions where the combat is thickest.
3. Does admin/command rating/hierarchy has any effect except limiting possible assignment options?  (anything like: planetary governors give 100% bonus to their colony, while sector governors give only 25% bonus but to all colonies)
4. Few old comments stated that the wiki list of leader Bonuses is out of date. Is there any way to check that except going over the leader list of bonuses and pray you don't miss anything?
5. Does titles are for flavor only like traits?
6. Is there a drawback to promoting a junior officer to command the whole fleet?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 08:13:33 PM by Mor »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2015, 08:02:30 PM »
On 6. If you mean as a task force commander, the staff positions are equal to commander's rank -1. So a Rank 3 officer commanding a task force can only have R1 and R2 as staff.

You can also set the minimum rank necessary for ship designs on the ship design window.