Author Topic: Change Log for v7.10 Discussion  (Read 17666 times)

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
Re: Change Log for v7.10 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 02:11:39 PM »
That's sensible. I intend to release v7.1 at some point this week. Just need to run it for a few hours to test the changes and fix anything else that pops up.

Hmm now I wonder how much abuse I am in for when I cancel xmas due to...... 7.1 8)

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 02:25:49 PM »
For what little it's worth, I agree that massive enough asteroids should be terraformable.  However, I also believe that when development time and priorities permit there should be sensible limits to things like how much atmosphere a given celestial body can hold, along with sensible limits to things like population.

I'd also like to point out that the "it's only a game after all" argument is silly and leads to some quite silly things if followed to its logical conclusion.  The idea that things should be added to Aurora just because they're fun and because it is, after all, only a game could lead to things like unicorns, space wizards, and motorcycle mice.  Any and all of these things might be great for some games, but they would be very out of place in Aurora in my opinion.  I feel as though part of Aurora's appeal, the thing that it does that most other games do not, is that it makes a reasonable attempt at simulation.  The critical word there being "reasonable."  There are a few necessary concessions, such as the whole trans-newtonian spiel, but those sorts of immersion-breaking things should be done when development priorities deem them a necessity.  The sillier and more far-fetched things become, the more Aurora starts to lose its most appealing factor.

At the end of the day, it's a question of balancing development direction against development resources.  Both of which are ultimately up to Steve.

+1 for terraformable asteroids on the grounds that any celestial body that is capable of holding an atmosphere should have options for adjusting said atmosphere.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:29:51 PM by MagusXIX »

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 02:52:57 PM »
I'd also like to point out that the "it's only a game after all" argument is silly and leads to some quite silly things if followed to its logical conclusion.  The idea that things should be added to Aurora just because they're fun and because it is, after all, only a game could lead to things like unicorns, space wizards, and motorcycle mice.
No it really could not, unless Steve losses his mind.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 03:18:10 PM »
Ugh, I'm getting the forum error so excuse me if the following makes no sense.
Steve your asteroid g numbers are off.
While Wikipedia isn't entirely reliable.
Pallas should be 0.022 g and, Euphrosyne 0.07

Pallas was a typo - missed a 0.

I don't think Euphrosyne can be 0.07G even if Wiki does state that. It is smaller and less massive than Vesta so it can't have higher gravity. I am now trying to find the source of my numbers :)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »
That's my typo, I failed to correctly divide earths gravity by Euphro(etc)'s 0.069 meters per second. Should be somewhere around 0.007
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 05:54:45 PM »
That's my typo, I failed to correctly divide earths gravity by Euphro(etc)'s 0.069 meters per second. Should be somewhere around 0.007

Yes, that matches Wiki. However, now I am wondering how I got the number I entered into the DB. I just know I am too OCD to let that rest until I find out :)

Anyway, I'll update it for v7.1

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 03:29:07 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley
If it works as intended then I will also add the possibility of independence due to high unrest.
DO NOT WANT

Actually, I'm fine with this, and with whole 'independence' thing.
I'll just have to supplement colonies with Military after update, another minor logistical problem.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 05:18:55 PM »
I'm thinking we need more complex independence mechanics now.
Right now we have colonies that surrender at the drop of a hat, or they can declare independence if you don't install a couple of public relations cannons. Something in between might be nice. Maybe high unrest populations should require ground troops for pacification rather than ships in system or large PDCs on the ground?
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »
I think it's good as it is: troops only counter unrest but do not cure the reason for it.

So excited for these changes, please roll out 7.10 soon!

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 08:17:49 PM »
I think it's good as it is: troops only counter unrest but do not cure the reason for it.

In that case it's basically what I was asking for :p

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 03:10:52 AM »

I have to agree with this sentiment XD

Regarding troops, I think it's fine as it is now. Troops reduce unrest, but do not remove the cause. If they are removed, unrest will restart piling up.

Think of it as a martial law situation :) Civilians will not go out and protest while there are armed soldiers posted around...

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 03:45:47 AM »
Hey, a big request here - using new "independence" mechanic, please make it possible to create NPR in this way, it is very needed for my RP, I believe many players here want to have only one Player race.

Offline Mini

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 05:22:41 AM »
I imagine that's planned, but needs extra work to make sure that the AI can handle the incredibly varied states in which it can revolt (particularly since unrest revolts are also planned, it would be very bad to have problems start because a planet the player has never seen revolted from a NPR). In the mean time it's entirely possible to remove the settlement and then create a new NPR in it's place (you'll probably end up with a few differences, but unless you have designer mode to edit the NPR's stuff then that's as close as you'll get, and you can even do this on the current version).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2015, 08:18:15 AM »
Hey, a big request here - using new "independence" mechanic, please make it possible to create NPR in this way, it is very needed for my RP, I believe many players here want to have only one Player race.

The problem is that NPRs are programmed to be able to handle things within certain parameters. Their ship designs for example follow certain rules so as things stand, they wouldn't know what to do with a lot of player ship designs. It might be possible to update the designs in some way to make them compatible but there is a lot of work required (on that specific issue and in general) to convert a player race into an NPR.

Offline JOKER

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2015, 10:18:05 PM »
Some idea:

In my battle, it seems that AMM and fleet defence turret is a bit OP against ASM. Even with tech advantage, the only way to surely hit enemy ship is to spam and overwhelm the whole defence, especially when they have 200-300 ships in a single task group (I like high difficulty and large scale battle). So my ship design have to become beehive filled with ASM.

Also, my AMM usually have >100% hit chance against enemy ASM, so I only have to use AMM as defence, and the only real threat is enemy AMM spam, which is very annoying and time consuming.

My three advices:
1. AMM and CIWS hit chance penalty to huge task group. Just to prevent invincible death ball.
2. long range beam weapon. Another way to  prevent invincible death ball and AMM spam.
3. new ECM/ECCM system. I hope ECM could actively jam missile in flight, or jam sensor on enemy ship. So simple AMM spam would lost track easily.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 10:20:11 PM by JOKER »