Author Topic: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 107611 times)

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
Re: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #510 on: January 26, 2015, 10:24:20 PM »
Just two things wrong with what you said. First of all, you said there is no way radiation could effect the interior of a ship with duranium armor except if its already blown up, but the ships don't all have duranium armor. My ships (right now) are using composite ceramic armor, which isn't rad-proof last I checked, as well as if there are holes in the armor (from battle damages) the radiation can soak through anyway.
Anything is radiation proof when used in large enough quantities. Modern Battle Tanks are ceramic armour with DU inserts, which provides limited protection from gamma and x-rays. Most nuclear reactors use H2O or H2 to capture radiation. Six feet of deuterium will caption nearly 100% of the radiation emitted by submerged fuel rods. Any ship that travels in deep space would need to be protected from cosmic radiation, as well as any radiation from stars, black holes, supernovas, enemy weapons, planetary radiation, etc. It would be very odd to have a ship be unprotected against such a common danger.

And I never said anything about radioactive material, I was talking about weaponized radiation weapons (specifically radiation enhanced lasers, which by the definition of laser: light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, with normal lasers in game doing a lot already) which are far more than radioactive materials. Secondly, radiation has nothing to do with atmospherics. What your thinking of is radioactive dust, what I'm talking about is radiation which still exists even in a vacuum (as evident of energy from the sun in the form of light, which is radiation, reaching us). Plus, the current rules of the game in itself are already breaking the laws of physics.
I think you're mixing up ionized radiation with non-ionized radiation.

Non-Ionized Radiation is everything from radio waves, infrared, light and up to certain UVs. Non-Ionized Radiation would damage something by transferring it's energy through radiation (as opposed to conduction or convection). Lasers are Non-Ionized and therefor will either burn the target or not burn the target.

Ionized Radiation is radiation which is powerful enough to damage individual strands of DNA by simply colliding with it, or damage chemical bonds in molecules. When people mention radiation, they usually think of Ionized Radiation. Each particle (either an alpha, beta or neutron) or wavelength (far UV, gamma, x-rays) is able to damage the target without needing to heat the target in any meaningful way.

While I would love radiation weapons, the fact is that any radiation weapon powerful enough to penetrate an armoured starship would also be able to destroy the ship through heat alone. Using against light skinned ships, fighters and missiles would be interesting, but would be a highly situational weapon to the extreme.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #511 on: January 27, 2015, 06:44:08 AM »
Anything is radiation proof when used in large enough quantities....

Would you folks like me or one of the other moderators to split this discussion out into another thread?  It's probably best not to fill up the official suggestion thread with a big debate over a single suggestion, since Steve uses it as a "filing cabinet" to remember the suggestions people have made....

Thanks,
John

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #512 on: January 27, 2015, 06:49:04 AM »
Would you folks like me or one of the other moderators to split this discussion out into another thread?  It's probably best not to fill up the official suggestion thread with a big debate over a single suggestion, since Steve uses it as a "filing cabinet" to remember the suggestions people have made....

Thanks,
John
Sure, do it.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #513 on: January 27, 2015, 10:52:35 AM »
I may suggest, perhaps a Size Reduction tech for plasma carronades, like lasers? Either that, or turretable carronades? Though, i am actually more interested on the implications that would have on balance if anyone could point it out.

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #514 on: January 27, 2015, 05:11:24 PM »
Would you folks like me or one of the other moderators to split this discussion out into another thread?  It's probably best not to fill up the official suggestion thread with a big debate over a single suggestion, since Steve uses it as a "filing cabinet" to remember the suggestions people have made....

Thanks,
John
I think I've said all I could say on this topic.

1. A proper 365 day calender year, as well as custom calender settings for different worlds and calenders. Ex: An islamic calender, a martian calender, etc.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:14:06 PM by swarm_sadist »

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #515 on: February 02, 2015, 03:28:37 AM »
Could it be possible for a refit to reset the deployment clock?  It won't help me as I am still behind the times but I assume others are running into the annoyance of clicking to remove error messages every production turn.

Also could fighter construction re-use components?  So far as I can tell fighters never check if there is an existing stock of the systems in the fighter.

Also could the Govenors skill in Xenology modify the work of both the Xenoarch team or construction brigades work to recover things just like the other skill modify other activities?

Also it might be worth considering making the Brigade HQ cost less or be free with the development of the mobile infantry battalion.  It seems to be an important unit but one that doesn't really require TN technology.

Lastly could the rank for the CB be set to R2 not R1...it makes no sense for Colonels to be commanding a brigade.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #516 on: February 02, 2015, 09:21:05 AM »
Could it be possible for a refit to reset the deployment clock?  It won't help me as I am still behind the times but I assume others are running into the annoyance of clicking to remove error messages every production turn.
Just overhaul before refitting.
Also it might be worth considering making the Brigade HQ cost less or be free with the development of the mobile infantry battalion.  It seems to be an important unit but one that doesn't really require TN technology.
Why. That would just be too overpowered.
Lastly could the rank for the CB be set to R2 not R1...it makes no sense for Colonels to be commanding a brigade.
The different Empire Themes have different rankings. Another theme will most likely have it the way you want it.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #517 on: February 02, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »

For it to work the hierarchy also needs to understand that construction brigades are on the same level as brigade HQs, otherwise you would have a HQ brigade commanding 4 CBs anyways.

And I'm not sure that is actually desired since it would make it harder to move alot of CBs due to not fitting into the hierarchy.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #518 on: February 02, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »
Just overhaul before refitting.

Uhm, you don't understand the point I am making.  The deployment clock is not reset by anything other than sticking the ship in a hanger, even if the ship should not have a deployment time issue.  This results eventually in a bunch of annoying error messages every production cycle.

Why. That would just be too overpowered.

Because frankly it makes no sense to NOT have brigade HQs when I used to have division sized combat forces.  Making the HQ unit a seperate development project doesn't seem necessary.  5000 RPs is 2.5 years of research at the moment.  Why is it that expensive?  The HQ doesn't change if you have TN technology.  It is still a bunch of guys with radio's who support the Brigade CO.

The different Empire Themes have different rankings. Another theme will most likely have it the way you want it.

That does not solve the issue.  It is a brigade, it should be commanded by a officer of R2 and it should only be attachable to a division HQ, since it should have its own brigade HQ.

For it to work the hierarchy also needs to understand that construction brigades are on the same level as brigade HQs, otherwise you would have a HQ brigade commanding 4 CBs anyways.

And I'm not sure that is actually desired since it would make it harder to move alot of CBs due to not fitting into the hierarchy.

You can move them without being attached to a Brigade HQ...I have 3 of them right now and no brigade HQs.  They seem to be working as designed.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #519 on: February 02, 2015, 11:37:26 AM »
Uhm, you don't understand the point I am making.  The deployment clock is not reset by anything other than sticking the ship in a hanger, even if the ship should not have a deployment time issue.  This results eventually in a bunch of annoying error messages every production cycle.
Ohhhh, deployment time. That goes down gradually when you have it over a colony with what, 0.25 million population or at the same location as a ship/station with a recreational module. So still, an unnecessary change. Since you can only decrease the deployment time in a hangar, you might want to report that bug because you can reset the time in other ways (as stated before).
Because frankly it makes no sense to NOT have brigade HQs when I used to have division sized combat forces.  Making the HQ unit a seperate development project doesn't seem necessary.  5000 RPs is 2.5 years of research at the moment.  Why is it that expensive?  The HQ doesn't change if you have TN technology.  It is still a bunch of guys with radio's who support the Brigade CO.
Once again I ask Steve, Eric, or someone who can, add a facepalm emote for the forum. To Paul; Okay, I'll just have my commanders use WWII radios and paper maps to command my Power Armored Infantry fighting on an entire planet. Also just because it inconveniences you doesn't mean that it should be massively changed, I can research that in 2-3 months no problem with other research going on. Also, they are in full command vehicles/mobile bases going around the battlefield coordinating large numbers of people across an Entire Planet, doing that is expensive and difficult irl, and the game models that just fine.
That does not solve the issue.  It is a brigade, it should be commanded by a officer of R2 and it should only be attachable to a division HQ, since it should have its own brigade HQ.
Once again, different Empire Themes have different ranks in those positions. If I remember right, one of those themes has a General as the lowest rank. Like I said before, just use a different theme if you are unhappy with the one you are using.

Offline Daishiknyte

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • D
« Reply #520 on: February 03, 2015, 06:56:54 AM »
Building off the earlier suggestion of "pod" launchers, I'd like to see an extension of box launchers into multi-missile parts, each launcher able to hold multiple missiles of the same type.

I'm still fresh out of cryo when it comes to Aurora so balancing opinions are welcome.   Because the system's volume for the launcher would be based off of the surface area required to fit all the missiles, I'm not sure how balancing its size should go.   It shouldn't be a heavy system, but it does require large surface volume.   Maybe an armor penalty?  Range penalty?

As for firing, the extended boxes should be one-shot-and-done systems, no picking and choosing how many to shoot; otherwise, what's the point of a standard launcher+magazine?

Potential uses:

* FAC and Small corvette launchers.   The extended box gives them a mission duration of 1 salvo per e-box, but it would allow the smaller ships to put noteworthy firepower down range.   

* Missile pods.  I see a lot of people talking about jump point defense or tow-along defense options.   How about a relatively cheap, missile dumping "go away" sign?  Tractor along an extra triple handful of missiles to make that first salvo something special?  Defend your freighters with a surprising sucker punch? Defend your gate with enough kaboom to light up the night sky!  Of course. . . your first shot better work, because you don't get another.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #521 on: February 03, 2015, 07:06:25 AM »
I think I came up with a "balanced" size after we finished discussing about it. HS=0.2*(Size*(Number+1)), or was is HS=0.2((Size*Number)+1). I honestly can remember, and I think I might have had a better one in my head at one point. Besides that, I believe I've said everything I have to say on the topic, I still think its a good idea but people will still argue that "noooooo, it haz no purpossee, it two overpowerd" (no offense meant to the people who didn't think that the pod launcher was not a good idea).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:28:53 AM by 83athom »

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #522 on: February 03, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »
Doesn't a balanced version of this already exist, in the form of missile stages?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #523 on: February 03, 2015, 09:02:58 PM »
Doesn't a balanced version of this already exist, in the form of missile stages?
We are talking about the launchers themselves, not the missiles. Its an end-game launcher that behaves like a box launcher but stores and fires multiple missiles rapidly. It also has different reload mechanics than the other launchers. Go back and read where I first suggested this, or not since I thought we were done on this topic.

Offline gamedesign69

• Leading Rate
  • g
« Reply #524 on: February 05, 2015, 02:06:04 PM »
Steve, would it be too much trouble to add ammonia-breathers to the game, similar to the way methane-breathers are implemented? For that matter, the possibility to generate new races based on all of the poisonous gasses, mostly for variety's sake, would be fantastic.