Author Topic: "Offline" ship and component design?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
"Offline" ship and component design?
« on: November 10, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »
I've posted a lot in the past couple days, just so I can figure things out as I get back into the game.  Resolution issues are getting in the way of me actually playing so far; at the moment, I've got an unsustainable fix of typing 1440x900 into InfiniScreen every time I open a window.  It works, but that's SO much effort.

Until I get it to work, I'd still like to practice some of the more complex parts of the game, like ship, component, and missile design.  At the moment, that means opening the game itself and struggling through the same issues as actually playing.  Is there a utility to do this kind of thing outside the game?

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
Re: "Offline" ship and component design?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:47:07 AM »
My ship and missile optimizer let you play with missile designs, draft ship designs, and import existing components and designs from the game DB. Give it a try :P

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10999.0

The following users thanked this post: Iestwyn

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 11:01:41 AM »
Oh my gosh, this looks excellent; thank you! It's not that important, but does it output a summary like the actual game does?

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 11:24:46 AM »
Oh my gosh, this looks excellent; thank you! It's not that important, but does it output a summary like the actual game does?
For missile it does and it mimics the in-game description.

For ships, it only provides some aspects of the ship. The main purpose of the ship planner is on planning/calculating speed/armor/crew space/engineering space needed, so the components within only contain the relevant cost/crew information. It does not care about the component you just put on is a laser cannon or a missile magazine, but it will correctly calculate the additional armor/crew quarters needed just like the in-game designer.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 11:36:33 AM by Iceranger »

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 11:59:38 AM »
Ah, pity. Still incredibly useful!

Offline Iestwyn (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 01:42:32 PM »
A follow-up: anyone have anything for components? I feel like if I had that, I might be able to make the two tools work together.