Author Topic: Jump Point suddenly appears?  (Read 1476 times)

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
Jump Point suddenly appears?
« on: April 05, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »
I'm only three months into my extended Tutorial game, and my two gravitational survey ships are exploring the jump points out beyond the orbit of Saturn. They've each explored two possible jump points and found nothing, and each are at their third point. After I click my last 5-day update, I get a message that says "New Jump Point found in the Sol System" and I see a JP 1: Unex dot show up just beyond the orbit of Jupiter. My question is, is this a random event that spawned a new jump point not associated with any of the possible jump point locations, or is this associated with one of my gravitational survey ships? I looked at their History/Notes/Tech Data tab on the Individual Unit Details screen, and don't see anything about either one finding a jump point.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Jump Point suddenly appears?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
The points you are surveying are not possible jumppoint locations , they are survey points. When you have surveyed all of them you will have found all jump points*. However as you survey a subset of them you can find as you ahve found one of the jump points in the star system early, usually it is between the points you hae surveyed and the sun. So yes the message is becasue your survey ships found the jump point,

* It is possible that later on a Jump point will be found into a system you have surveyed which could not be found by the survey of the system

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:27:54 PM »
Quote from: "AndonSage"
I'm only three months into my extended Tutorial game, and my two gravitational survey ships are exploring the jump points out beyond the orbit of Saturn. They've each explored two possible jump points and found nothing, and each are at their third point. After I click my last 5-day update, I get a message that says "New Jump Point found in the Sol System" and I see a JP 1: Unex dot show up just beyond the orbit of Jupiter. My question is, is this a random event that spawned a new jump point not associated with any of the possible jump point locations, or is this associated with one of my gravitational survey ships? I looked at their History/Notes/Tech Data tab on the Individual Unit Details screen, and don't see anything about either one finding a jump point.

Your ships have each surveyed two of the thirty survey locations in the system, and are now on their third.  At this point, one of them has found an actual Jump Point.  There are no random events that 'spawn new jump points' - the closest thing is someone coming through a closed JP from the other side (which you won't actually notice unless you have a sensor close enough to see them do it).

'Possible Jump point locations' includes anywhere in the entire system out to a distance determined by the square root of the mass of the system primary - in other words, well beyond Pluto for the Solar System.

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:36:37 PM »
Ah! *light bulb goes off over head* I understand now, thanks guys :)

This brings up another question... I've read where Jump Points are sometimes found that already have a Jump Gate. Would this situation already have been noted when the Jump Point was found, or do I need to send a ship to look at the actual Jump Point now? And if I need to send a ship to look at the Jump Point, would I just use one of the gravitational survey ships, or could any ship see if there was a Jump Gate there?
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »
Ah! *light bulb goes off over head* I understand now, thanks guys :-)

EDIT - Oh, yes.  And when you do find one, should should pretend that it scares the pants off your civilization - there are aliens out there!!!!

John

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »
Thanks for the roleplaying tips, but at this point, I'm just trying to learn the mechanics of the game ;)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »
Thanks for the roleplaying tips, but at this point, I'm just trying to learn the mechanics of the game ;)

It should show up as a red square around the WP.  You should also see (JG) next to the WP name on the F12 screen.

John

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »
I think a Jump Gate should actually show up if you use active sensors that can detect it, even if you have no Gravitational sensors on your ship.

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
It should show up as a red square around the WP.  You should also see (JG) next to the WP name on the F12 screen.
Thank you :) I hope I didn't sound flippant above, but there's soooo much to learn about this game, that I'm just using my current extended Tutorial game to learn the mechanics.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 06:51:01 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Thank you :) I hope I didn't sound flippant above, but there's soooo much to learn about this game, that I'm just using my current extended Tutorial game to learn the mechanics.

And the point that I was trying to make is that discovery is half the fun.  This is not a vital piece of mechanics that you need to know in order to be able to play the game - if you find out everything from reading the board you knock out a lot of the enjoyment from the game.

John