Author Topic: How are you guys doing in light of the Corona Virus?  (Read 10310 times)

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
Re: How are you guys doing in light of the Corona Virus?
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2020, 12:25:31 PM »
How severe the punishment is tends to have a rather limited effect on the occurrence of crime. In the 1600s and 1700s UK law became more and more severe in its punishments for various crimes, to the point that any theft resulted in death by hanging.

But while more severe punishments worked for a short time, it only took a couple of years before crime was back up to its previous numbers. Because the underlying circumstances driving crime did not shift. People generally don't commit crimes for smeg and giggles; because generally crime is already quite dangerous and pays poorly, even if it pays enough to make ends meet. No seriously, crime pays about equal to minimum wage, and you've got much greater odds of dying or severe injury than in most legitimate jobs (and those are better paid).

The ways to suppress crime isn't worse punishments. It's the assurance of getting caught and punished, the removal of circumstances driving crime and a culture that considers crime and life as a criminal as wrong.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2020, 12:28:12 PM »
Quote from: GodEmperor link=topic=10609. msg119774#msg119774 date=1584610075
Quote from: Panopticon link=topic=10609. msg119773#msg119773 date=1584605139
I would gently suggest that this is perhaps not the time or place for xenophobia of this nature.
Its not a "phobia", its reality.  As much as some people want to deny that.
You cant discuss the issues of global pandemic and try to be completely detached from reality.
Sorry it doesnt work that way.

So either we discuss real life stuff here or we lock down this thread and discuss only VB8/C#/other games. 
Which i would welcome because i am sick of real life stuff everywhere i go and i want for at least my favourite sf game to be free of that cancer.

And yet you started with the xenophobic comments . . .
Again - its not phobia. Stop using words you dont know the meaning of.
There is real reason why Sweden suddenly had to close all those hospitals and fire the staff and why problem described by the previous poster actually exists.

But if it makes you any better we can pretend Swedish government simply run out of pixie dust they are fueled by.

I know in France and Spain people are being find several hundred Euros for breaking quarantine. However, the Isle of Man is always draconian on law and order (which probably explains why we have hardly any crime). Anyone arriving on the island has to self-quarantine for 14 days. It was announced today that the penalty for anyone breaking that quarantine is three months in jail and a £10,000 fine.
I like that whole corona if i have to be honest. Suddenly my country starts to look normal with lack of traffic jams, no goddamned "tourists" visiting my hospital Emergency Ward because they were bored or their head hurts ( for five days ), there are no lines in shops, public transport isnt clogged by elderly people going god only knows where at 5AM Sunday etc.
Im going to miss this calm when its going to be all over.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »
How severe the punishment is tends to have a rather limited effect on the occurrence of crime.

In France, the fine is €135. I think people inclined to leave their houses would not be too deterred. I believe the threat of three months in jail would have more than a limited effect on that decision.

To take that to the extreme, if illegal parking had the death penalty, I suspect the level of illegal parking would drop considerably.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2020, 02:21:09 PM »
To some extent, yes it would be reduced, yet it's not an cure-all. Japan has an extremely draconian punishment system, yet crime exists. China does not hesitate to execute drug dealers, yet drugs and their users exist.

Obviously I'm not saying that there should be no punishment and obviously there is a massive difference between Japan/China and say USA or France or South-Africa. Criminology is a complex topic and reasons behind crimes are nuanced.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2020, 02:23:21 PM »
Criminology is a complex topic and reasons behind crimes are nuanced.

Yes, agreed.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »
I like that whole corona if i have to be honest. Suddenly my country starts to look normal with lack of traffic jams, no goddamned "tourists" visiting my hospital Emergency Ward because they were bored or their head hurts ( for five days ), there are no lines in shops, public transport isnt clogged by elderly people going god only knows where at 5AM Sunday etc.
Im going to miss this calm when its going to be all over.

So you are a massive jerk. Noted.

In France, the fine is €135. I think people inclined to leave their houses would not be too deterred. I believe the threat of three months in jail would have more than a limited effect on that decision.

To take that to the extreme, if illegal parking had the death penalty, I suspect the level of illegal parking would drop considerably.

Quite possibly, if the chance to get caught is high enough. At the same time, enforcing illegal parking regulations suddenly got a lot more dangerous because if people are going to get executed anyway for that, the incentive not to kill the people enforcing that law for fear of worse punishment just got a lot smaller.

And seriously, for most people just having to pay a fine of any level is enough of a deterrent just because of the hassle of dealing with the fine. But it won't be enough of a deterrent for people who believe they have a pressing enough reason to leave their house. Like if they are out of food and can't get access to food through other means. And in such a circumstance? A 3 month stay in prison won't be enough either.

That said, criminology is indeed a very complex topic.

The following users thanked this post: Panopticon, amram, smoelf, superstrijder15, King-Salomon

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2020, 02:50:55 PM »
my country's health system is NOT prepared for this, and we have are not taking this seriously enough in my opinion. Brasil is going to have it VERY rough. but fortunally, both my grandmas have been taking precautions, so I think we will be fine. I am asthma, and just about every other thing wrong with my lungs, but since this quarentine thing is basically my lifestyle already, I am not at all worried for myself.
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2020, 03:40:16 PM »
So you are a massive jerk. Noted.
Damn right. At least i admit it.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2020, 01:11:06 AM »
Since people are getting their panties in a bunch and cannot play nice, I'm locking this thread.

The following users thanked this post: hubgbf, kks, Zincat, MarcAFK, DIT_grue, Rye123