Author Topic: System Requirements  (Read 14497 times)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: System Requirements
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 08:51:54 AM »
Quote from: "Ed Smoker"
I am getting an error trying to install Aurora on Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I get the following error message:

Code: [Select]
C:\Windows\SETUP.LST

Invalid line in setup information file!

Section: Setup1 Files
@p2sodbc.dll,$(WinSysPath),,$(Shared),11/18/96 10:15:52 PM,131072,4.6.1.106

Installation stops at that point and the temporary installation files are removed. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

I am not sure what the error message means, but this might be helpful:

Are you logged in as Administrator? If not, can you?
What happens when you try to install to a non-default folder? i.e. not 'C:/program files'.
Do you have all the latest dot net installations? (on my windows 7 machines I had to install the latest dot net and Office to get everything working fine)

Offline Ed Smoker

• Leading Rate
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 03:41:52 PM »
Yes, I'm fully updated and try to install using the "Run as administrator" option. Could it have something to do with the operating system being 64 bit instead of 32 bit? I was under the impression this only affected the way information is handled by memory, but admittedly I am not knowledgeable in this area. I ordered the free upgrade to Windows 7 which was offered with this computer and it should be arriving in a week or so. It maybe possible that after I install it the problem will clear up since you were successfully in installing it. As a side note I am having the same problem when attempting to install StarFire Assistant.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 08:51:30 PM »
definately not, I have run Aurora on Vista Ultimate and Home Premium both 32 & 64 bit with no issues, and now windows 7 Pro and Home Premium no issues

does the account you are installing as have admin rights (as well as run as administrator they do different things)

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Ed Smoker

• Leading Rate
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking; user account control is turned completely off on my computer. So are you recommending I turn the account control back on, and through some setting ensure admin rights are set?

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »
nope if UAC is off all you really need to ensure is that your account is a local admin.  I've never had any errors while running the setup (but I've only ever run an old old setup, then just update patches to later versions, so I don't know if theres a vista issue with later versions of the setup file (assuming you're using the latest)

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline paolot

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »
Hello everyone!
I would like to be a gamer of Aurora, but the resolution problem hits me too!!
I have just tried 360desktop, Sizer and ResizeEnable, but none of them works for me.
I run on Vista 32bit, and max resolution at 1280x800.
Any other suggestion/solution, please?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »
Quote from: "paolot"
Hello everyone!
I would like to be a gamer of Aurora, but the resolution problem hits me too!!
I have just tried 360desktop, Sizer and ResizeEnable, but none of them works for me.
I run on Vista 32bit, and max resolution at 1280x800.
Any other suggestion/solution, please?
I assume you have checked the Display Issues FAQ but just in case, here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=2033

Steve

Offline paolot

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 01:13:55 PM »
Thank you!

I have tried the suggestions and the programs listed there, but nothing works!
Any Aurora window is "cut" by Vista at my max resolution, and any program I have tried can't extend it beyond 1280x800!

Offline renobe

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • r
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 12:21:23 PM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Floating desktop works with XP only, if I remember correctely (don´t have any vista or win7 experience)

Go to the screen where you set your resolution
select enhanced or extended settings (I have a german windows, so I don´t know the exact wording, but it is the lower right most button )
select Monitor
there is a checkbox which reads "Modi ausblenden, die von diesem Monitor nicht angezeigt werden" Something like: don´t show modes this monitor does not support.
Uncheck this box
You can now set resolution to anything your graphics card can handle. If this resolution is higher than what your monitor can display, whenever your mouse pointer reaches the edge of your screen, the whole screen will scroll in that direction.

Hope this helps.

I have a  HP Win XP .The box is grayed out. HP told me this is the case with all of their computers. HP said this was done as a safety precaution .

Offline Sakai007

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 12:38:37 AM »
Hello all! After lurking a bit and checking out the community I have decided to make my first post! I discovered Aurora over at Wargamer.com in the forums and have been drooling over all the dialogue in the ship design forum and am ready to take the plunge. I have noticed that the game needs a 1024 x 1024 resolution in order to display properly. My laptop is wide-screen and runs at 1366 x 768 res. I know that some of the buttons will not be visible but I must ask; is the game at least playable using hot-keys instead of mouse clicks? I have seen the recommendations for several programs that re-size windows and will try them if I have to much of an issue. I am a huge fan of 4X style space faring games, and this one seems to really scratch my itch. I play GalCiv2 and Sins of a Solar Empire and enjoy them both but neither really does it for me. I love the graphics of Sins, and the real-time game play. But the lack of variety between the ships of the different races is a real buzz kill for me. GalCiv2 is great in the way it lets you design your own ships and decide what engines, weapons, and defenses suit your play style and needs. Unfortunately the graphics are a bit dated, and while there is the ability to customize your fleet, it's just not enough to keep me intrigued.

And then I found Aurora, and my newest addiction! (I say this not even having played it yet, but I can't get it out of my mind  :shock:  ) The level of customization that is available, required even, is incredible. Every time I see this game mentioned, the words deep, complex, engrossing, and addictive are always mentioned. There are a few who prefer a more click-fest approach to 4X gaming, but I am not one of them. So, now that my rant is over, I will provide my specs with the request that anyone who cares to please let me know if I have a chance of getting full functionality out of Aurora.

2x Pentium Dual-Core @ 2.20Ghz each
250 GB Hard Drive
3 GB RAM
1366 x 768 resolution display

Sakai
When in doubt, charlie out!
=========================================
Sakai

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 05:00:39 AM »
Quote from: "Sakai007"
Hello all! After lurking a bit and checking out the community I have decided to make my first post! I discovered Aurora over at Wargamer.com in the forums and have been drooling over all the dialogue in the ship design forum and am ready to take the plunge. I have noticed that the game needs a 1024 x 1024 resolution in order to display properly. My laptop is wide-screen and runs at 1366 x 768 res. I know that some of the buttons will not be visible but I must ask; is the game at least playable using hot-keys instead of mouse clicks? I have seen the recommendations for several programs that re-size windows and will try them if I have to much of an issue. I am a huge fan of 4X style space faring games, and this one seems to really scratch my itch. I play GalCiv2 and Sins of a Solar Empire and enjoy them both but neither really does it for me. I love the graphics of Sins, and the real-time game play. But the lack of variety between the ships of the different races is a real buzz kill for me. GalCiv2 is great in the way it lets you design your own ships and decide what engines, weapons, and defenses suit your play style and needs. Unfortunately the graphics are a bit dated, and while there is the ability to customize your fleet, it's just not enough to keep me intrigued.

And then I found Aurora, and my newest addiction! (I say this not even having played it yet, but I can't get it out of my mind  :shock:  ) The level of customization that is available, required even, is incredible. Every time I see this game mentioned, the words deep, complex, engrossing, and addictive are always mentioned. There are a few who prefer a more click-fest approach to 4X gaming, but I am not one of them. So, now that my rant is over, I will provide my specs with the request that anyone who cares to please let me know if I have a chance of getting full functionality out of Aurora.

2x Pentium Dual-Core @ 2.20Ghz each
250 GB Hard Drive
3 GB RAM
1366 x 768 resolution display

Sakai
Aurora needs a minimum 1280x1024 resolution, although as you mentioned there are a few options for playing it on lower resolution. There is a FAQ for display issues that may be able to help you: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=2033. Aurora doesn't have any system requirements apart from the resolution so your RAM, hard drive and processor will all be fine.

As regards hotkeys for using off-screen buttons, it is a little hit and miss I'm afraid. I haven't added the Alt-x option to buttons as a matter of course so most buttons don't have them. If your graphics card can handle it, your best bet is probably a cheap monitor that you can connect to the laptop.

Steve

Offline sausage

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »
Quote from: "Gerdion"
Linux user here... I am really curious about this game and it looks like tons of fun but... can I run it through Wine and get away with not having Windows? How well does Aurora get along with the like?

I can get it to install through wine but I run into err:module:import_dll Library MSVBVM60.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\sausage\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Aurora\\Aurora.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\sausage\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Aurora\\Aurora.exe" failed, status c0000135

I'm currently looking into it, i'll edit with updates if applicable.

EDIT: ooo its the streak of error 91's, you have to love it when programs look for files in the wrong spot. god I hate linux sometimes.

REDIT: ok... it works when right clicking Aurora.exe and opening with Wine Application Loader, but if you use the terminal it doesn't work...

REREDIT: This might be just because i'm using 4.91 not 5.14, but I get a type mismatch every time I increment the time (Error in ShowMinerals) The game doesn't crash but it probably doesn't like it (I don't really know the extent of the error as I just started playing like 2 days ago, havent even gotten through the tutorials yet.)

REREREDIT: I opened every other page, and the only error I got was from opening the technology report, it was also a type mismatch.  Every page showed up fine, text was fine, pretty much everything in the game is perfect on my linux except for the type mismatch error.  I'll patch it to 5.14 tomorrow and see how it fares.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 10:51:25 AM »
Quote from: "sausage"
Quote from: "Gerdion"
Linux user here... I am really curious about this game and it looks like tons of fun but... can I run it through Wine and get away with not having Windows? How well does Aurora get along with the like?

I can get it to install through wine but I run into err:module:import_dll Library MSVBVM60.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\sausage\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Aurora\\Aurora.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\sausage\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Aurora\\Aurora.exe" failed, status c0000135

I'm currently looking into it, i'll edit with updates if applicable.

EDIT: ooo its the streak of error 91's, you have to love it when programs look for files in the wrong spot. god I hate linux sometimes.

REDIT: ok... it works when right clicking Aurora.exe and opening with Wine Application Loader, but if you use the terminal it doesn't work...

REREDIT: This might be just because i'm using 4.91 not 5.14, but I get a type mismatch every time I increment the time (Error in ShowMinerals) The game doesn't crash but it probably doesn't like it (I don't really know the extent of the error as I just started playing like 2 days ago, havent even gotten through the tutorials yet.)

REREREDIT: I opened every other page, and the only error I got was from opening the technology report, it was also a type mismatch.  Every page showed up fine, text was fine, pretty much everything in the game is perfect on my linux except for the type mismatch error.  I'll patch it to 5.14 tomorrow and see how it fares.
Unfortunately I don't know anything about Linux so I can't help very much. The type mismatches are odd though. I haven't had them reported from any windows user so I assume they must be Linux-specific. However, the error is likely caused by a function not receiving the data type it expected so I don't understand why the operating system would affect that. This may be a very dumb question but can linux affect the data types within an executable file?

Steve

Offline sausage

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 01:14:29 PM »
This may be a very dumb question but can linux affect the data types within an executable file?

hmmm. not a dumb question at all.  It's not linux that would do it but wine itself. I do not believe that it edits the file at all, unless it's trying to draw information from my video card which I don't think it is while accessing ShowMinerals.

I'm downloading 5.14 now, i'll edit with results.

EDIT: no change, still error 13 type mismatch in ShowMinerals.  Can I ask where it is showing the minerals on the system map so I can see if they are displayed?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 06:25:07 AM »
Quote from: "sausage"
This may be a very dumb question but can linux affect the data types within an executable file?

hmmm. not a dumb question at all.  It's not linux that would do it but wine itself. I do not believe that it edits the file at all, unless it's trying to draw information from my video card which I don't think it is while accessing ShowMinerals.

I'm downloading 5.14 now, i'll edit with results.

EDIT: no change, still error 13 type mismatch in ShowMinerals.  Can I ask where it is showing the minerals on the system map so I can see if they are displayed?
There are two functions in Aurora called ShowMinerals. One on the System View (F9) window that shows the minerals for a specific system body. The other is for the system map (F3) and shows the system minerals in a treeview control on the sidebar.

Steve