Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 183935 times)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2018, 04:24:19 PM »
Shouldn't the new button be to "add planet IX" rather than X?

8) ;D 8)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

The following users thanked this post: Neophyte

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »

8) ;D 8)

I need to find facebook like approval buttons for this. :)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2018, 05:01:00 PM »

8) ;D 8)

It's more Planet 'X' than Planet '10' :)

I thought that had avoided the Pluto as the ninth planet debate but of course forgot that X is also 10 :)

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2018, 12:00:27 AM »
Now we just need a "Create mirror Earth" button that puts a copy of Earth on the exact other side of the sun with a copy of your empire on it, except NPR and hostile.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2018, 02:15:27 AM »
Now we just need a "Create mirror Earth" button that puts a copy of Earth on the exact other side of the sun with a copy of your empire on it, except NPR and hostile.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064519/

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2018, 04:12:02 PM »
With tthe ground overhaul, how are crew on ships accounted for in boarding g operations? And if your unsure could you possibly let us customize it a little bit?

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2018, 05:26:27 PM »

and names it

MONDAS!

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
It's more Planet 'X' than Planet '10' :)

I thought that had avoided the Pluto as the ninth planet debate but of course forgot that X is also 10 :)

I think the origins might have been X as in ten and then, from that it also became X the unknown, but I wasn't there so can't say for certain!

Offline hadi

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2018, 07:06:56 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10097.  msg109123#msg109123 date=1532770949
Quote from: hadi link=topic=10097.  msg109120#msg109120 date=1532764071
Hello
Sorry if this is mentioned before but i couldn't find any info on this.   
Will this version of aurora also have exposed elements to screen readers, like the original aurora did?
Just want to  know to be hyped or not :)

To be honest it was accidental on my part that VB6 Aurora worked with screen readers, although once I become aware I also added coordinates to make it more compatible.   I am not doing anything very different in UI terms for C# Aurora, apart from being able to drag the screen around and zoom using the mouse wheel (VB6 doesn't know about mouse wheels).   I can also add the coordinates again.   So if normal C# applications work that way, then Aurora should too. 

Sorry if this is the wrong topic to ask, but since you mentioned coordinates, I've been playing aurora lately probably 10 hours/days and I came up with an idea that might be much more superior to a coordinate system (which i really can't get myself to use). 
I want to know that how practical it is to implement a function which turns the map into a tactical grid-based system. 
Now I don't know how systems scale in aurora, but for example imagine a  15x15 grid system, from A1 to O15, each grid itself containing 9 numbers, positioned like a keypad. 
The advantage of this would be huge towards accessibility, e.  g.   we would be able to track/follow  everything you see on the map and visualize how close things are together based on the grid information we have and can even read on the map itself. 
I don't know if this can be done at all or if it requires much more effort than what it seems like, but it is the most fantastic
 idea i have ever thought of to make aurora's map system available to screen readers.
edit: i've been told by zack that the coordinates are set between units of 10,000 km.  it seems like the system map is much more bigger that i  thought
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:33:18 AM by hadi »
At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2018, 09:01:57 AM »
Aurora tracks objects in VB6 at a granularity of 10cm and in C# at fractions of a millimeter, so a grid system isn't really workable. The coordinate system is based on kilometers but you can go to four decimal places in VB6 while C# uses a 64-bit floating point variable.

The following users thanked this post: hadi

Offline hadi

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10097. msg109360#msg109360 date=1534255317
Aurora tracks objects in VB6 at a granularity of 10cm and in C# at fractions of a millimeter, so a grid system isn't really workable.  The coordinate system is based on kilometers but you can go to four decimal places in VB6 while C# uses a 64-bit floating point variable.
How feasible is it to implement the coordinate system, then put all the bodies and ships and other objects into a scrollable list that we optionally could open up and navigate with the arrow keys and filter using typing letters on the keyboard?
This way the coordinate system could be usable and we can find ways to instantly calculate distance and maybe heading between two objects in the current system.

It would be a list of thousands of items, but it would be much much easier than trying to search for an object on the map, which is not possible when reading the screen Linearly, not mentioning the scrolling and zooming part which is inaccessible.
apologies for the off topic post.
At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2018, 02:40:49 PM »
Speaking of grids, have you remade the galactic map yet? And made it a tiny bit less painful to use, maybe?
Something like the systems automatically going toward grid nodes as you drop them would be nice, or an option to show the grid so it's easier to set things and then click "Line Up" without having half your repositioned systems move in the wrong direction.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2018, 06:44:05 PM »
Speaking of grids, have you remade the galactic map yet? And made it a tiny bit less painful to use, maybe?
Something like the systems automatically going toward grid nodes as you drop them would be nice, or an option to show the grid so it's easier to set things and then click "Line Up" without having half your repositioned systems move in the wrong direction.

I already have a 'to do' list item for the galactic map to automatically position new systems but I haven't coded it yet.

The following users thanked this post: chrislocke2000, hadi, Tree, DIT_grue, dag0net

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2018, 06:44:33 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10097. msg109360#msg109360 date=1534255317
Aurora tracks objects in VB6 at a granularity of 10cm and in C# at fractions of a millimeter, so a grid system isn't really workable.  The coordinate system is based on kilometers but you can go to four decimal places in VB6 while C# uses a 64-bit floating point variable.
How feasible is it to implement the coordinate system, then put all the bodies and ships and other objects into a scrollable list that we optionally could open up and navigate with the arrow keys and filter using typing letters on the keyboard?
This way the coordinate system could be usable and we can find ways to instantly calculate distance and maybe heading between two objects in the current system.

It would be a list of thousands of items, but it would be much much easier than trying to search for an object on the map, which is not possible when reading the screen Linearly, not mentioning the scrolling and zooming part which is inaccessible.
apologies for the off topic post.

Yes, this is possible.

The following users thanked this post: hadi

Offline Caplin

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »
Is drag and drop required for assigning fire controls, ECCM, etc during combat? Is it possible to do so using buttons or was the old UI completely removed?

I'm mostly asking as drag and drop is a bit of an unusual UI, from a screen reading perspective. It's theoretically  possible to use, but might be a bit harder.