Author Topic: Game discussion  (Read 17158 times)

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Re: Game discussion
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 11:52:24 PM »
I received Logan email, if he has the mdb file I am happy to continue in his place. If not I am happy to restart or recreate based on where people are at.

You can see by my fiction I tend to stay the course, and I do think this community game has some great prospects. They do say 3rd time is a charm. I will wait what Logan comes back with before a great deal of input or discussion but I would be happy to GM if people think that is acceptable. Not to try and step on Logan toes as he may come up with another solution yet.

Offline Vynadan (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 01:41:53 AM »
Quote from: Panopticon
You may have noticed the promised update never happened. Long story short, I don't have a functioning computer any more. The hard drive should be salvageable but I won't be able to afford a new comp for who knows how long. So yeah, I'll make a post in the forum about it too and hopefully try to pick the game up again at a later date if there is still interest. Sorry folks, this couldn't have come at a worse time.
@ 02.10.11 06:20:10 GMT+1

So I guess we can consider the community game as on suspension for the time being.  ::)

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:57 AM »
As I said if I can get the mdb we can continue where left off. I would not give up yet. Need to wait for Panopticon on this. I don't want to treat on his toes

If not I will put it to you guys whether to redo or remake where you are at. I think remake at this early stage is a fairly easy option. Again need to wait for Panopticon for the final approval or go ahead. I can easily do 2 turns a week. I have scope for that. Although my own fiction games may suffer but then again I do't think too many people will be in an uproar about that.

Offline Vynadan (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 04:06:49 AM »
I guess Panopticon won't be online (or if so, only for short periods of time) since he couldn't even make the forum post he mentioned in his mail. Though considering his information policy (*cough*) I'd veto a remake - we just can't be sure what exists or doesn't. With the database I'd still be unsure how far ahead Panopticon planned a plot.

Anyway, with the word 'salvagable' I guess it'll be hard to get the database before he gets a new computer or some friend's he can plug it in for a moment.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 05:08:19 AM »
I did send him an email, so hoping he replies to that. If not how many would be interested in a restart, but atleast using to a degree the same background of countries. Perhaps with a technology leap of say 10000, and a build cost of 1 or 2 ships.

Some changes I would like to make for ease of GM would be

1/ Can we be trusted for me to share the mdb file as a public link, so you with your password review your own status at the end of the turn. Or would I need to make screenies on each request.

2/ Also there would be job opportunity for a news reporter, as I will send them public information to broadcast. To keep some of the RP elements down.

3/ Some realistic freeform Rping where in a given situation where there is no hard doctrine then the commander or administrator follows his natural traits until ordered otherwise. So I will not be delayed by players.

Offline shadenight123

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • Gamer's thoughts-my blog
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 05:32:12 AM »
1) trust is never an issue. we are all players and playing aurora, therefore we are all trusted individual with a nice IQ and should be considered mature persons ... just because we can play it!
2) yup, like i had told the news reporter of the precedent game, news should be of all countries, except when a country, for rp reasons, asks the starmaster that she has inserted oppressive propaganda or closed the mouth of reporters of outside countries (like neo-italy did, not oppressively...just by limiting free movement, maybe i'll pm you all the things i had pmed to panopticon if you start starmastering)
3)that were the case, remember neo-italy is a country of Clones. Creepy clones, but clones nevertheless. (cloning not in the sense of "every three month, fishtanks come out" like in star wars, more like a more modernised cloning system, where you inject *you know what* into Ovules to then fecond a being who has been genetically engineered to be as similar as possible as the original one. or even made better always through genetically engineering while still keeping a majority of resemblance
people die all the time, it's not a problem.
it is if you're sending them to die.
i'm not. they just need to learn to be better.
at NOT BREATHING ON MARS!?
they need NOT TO CARE!
my blog (updated 17/12/2011) (updated every saturday):
http://shadenight123.blogspot.com/

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 05:58:35 AM »
are personality traits the same in a clone or are these different. I guess not all our personality traits are dna based, some are behavioural. So perhaps you could go either two ways with this.

1) you pick 3 personality traits that apply to everyone.
2) you pick 2 dna personality traits and then the top 1 in Aurora is a behavioural trait.

Either way out of the 3 you could only have 1 good, 1 neutral and 1 bad.

Again I don't want to get to far ahead of myself, it still panp's game unless I hear otherwise, but I am making these changes for the sake of a free flowing game more so then my own personal spin.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:02:59 AM by ardem »

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 08:22:48 AM »
If we would restart I wouldt prefer w full conventional restart. The shared database sons like great idea as well.

Edit: stupid autocorrection

Offline shadenight123

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 09:20:02 AM »
no need to go all that complicated, the clone thing was just to state that some personality traits shouldn't be considered. (like i don't know if it exists, Treacherous?, clones aren't treacherous. they can be lazy, but not treacherous)
they need NOT TO CARE!

Offline Vynadan (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 10:37:51 AM »
Oh well, writing time ...

From ardem:
1/ Can we be trusted for me to share the mdb file as a public link, so you with your password review your own status at the end of the turn. Or would I need to make screenies on each request.

From shadenight:
1) trust is never an issue. we are all players and playing aurora, therefore we are all trusted individual with a nice IQ and should be considered mature persons ... just because we can play it!
I don't know how well you can adjust an aurora installation to viewings from the public. Can each faction be assigned a password or is there only one SM password? I'm all for maturity, integrity, overview and direct access, but I'm unsure about who can keep a clear line between personal knowledge and that of their faction. And playing a game is never an assured symptom of anything.

From ardem:
2/ Also there would be job opportunity for a news reporter, as I will send them public information to broadcast. To keep some of the RP elements down.

From shadenight:
2) yup, like i had told the news reporter of the precedent game, news should be of all countries, except when a country, for rp reasons, asks the starmaster that she has inserted oppressive propaganda or closed the mouth of reporters of outside countries (like neo-italy did, not oppressively...just by limiting free movement, maybe i'll pm you all the things i had pmed to panopticon if you start starmastering)
What exactly do you mean by 'keeping some of the RP elements down'? I certainly enjoy writing the year entries for the JA and I'd rather not stop them so someone else can write official RP publications about my nation based on second-hand information. I'm not against such a reporter or more RP-ish yearly updates compared to what Panopticon's currently doing (note the tense) and I'd even go so far to answer on inquiries about specific stuff which they might include in their posts in any way they like - having multiple versions and perhaps even contradictions or revelations would add to the RP and its feel if you ask me.
Though, I'd like most or all of this information flowing to the reporter from my nation to come from me - I have no problem with even writing up multiple sources of varying detail, truth and topic - but I'd rather give those information out myself. Of course, other nations, players, factions or whatever you can think of can disclosue information they somehow aquired or made up ... Yet I'd feel incomplete without the former information sources coming from myself, too. Technically, though post and person ehavy would be having multiple reporters or at least international news stations that have varying methods or ethics on how and where they aquire their information from.

From ardem:
3/ Some realistic freeform Rping where in a given situation where there is no hard doctrine then the commander or administrator follows his natural traits until ordered otherwise. So I will not be delayed by players.
Now that's an intersting thought ... That'd make my current assignment of officers much more complicated and intersting. I'm all for it, but this'd likely result in much larger amounts of data flowing hither and yon. With a direct database access this wouldn't be much of a problem, though. On the other hand I'd write up doctrines, training procedures for vacuum navy, ground forces and and and ... Technically the potential for a lot of more detail, but it requires work (fine by me).

I don't want to go into the cloning and personality traits, as I have nothing to do with shadenight's faction, but this has potential to spaz out into a huge philosophical deabte (and my point of view would be that there are no genetical personality traits, but nevermind ;) ).

Quote from: ardem
If not how many would be interested in a restart, but atleast using to a degree the same background of countries. Perhaps with a technology leap of say 10000, and a build cost of 1 or 2 ships.
Depending on the players and setup / rules this is ending up going to use I'd be easily convinced to play, but I personally wouldn't make a Japanese Alliance that time - I don't like repetition or imitation of myself. I guess you can read out of that how I view a restart (though perhaps I just do a different nation if there's a restart, hmm ...); But I'd be fine with a new or even another game should Panopticon return in due time.

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 11:34:52 AM »
1)
I saw some option for the SM to assign every nation a password. If this works the way I think it does, it should be able to make every player only see his own nation. I would really like an open databse as designing ship classes and stuff like that would be a lot easier.

2)
Restriction of RP is ofc a bad idea. I do like news reporters though, and I would like it if they would occasionally send me an email asking me what is going on.

3)
I REALLY like this to be honest. As long as we can see our countries with the officers of course. I 1) isn't like I think it is, I wouldn't want this at all.
We should still be able to give general orders though. So a ship captains wouldn't do whatever the hell he wants just because he is on the other side of a jump point.
I assume we'll use the communication system Steve used in his fiction (more people might use it, but I primarily read his fiction).

Offline shadenight123

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 11:35:55 AM »
vynadan i think you misunderstood the "keep rp down thing" its not about preventing one from doing it, but from making sure it's kept on going.
so more of a "to continue and keep the RP which is currently there, and, if possible, to add also the general news" like "italy news" and then also "europe news" is present
they need NOT TO CARE!

Offline Panopticon

• Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 08:35:14 PM »
Hi there! You folks correctly guessed my net access is intermittent at best right now, and mostly needs to be dominated by school stuff, as that is where I am using the computers mostly these days.

My hard drive is fine and I can possibly arrange for the save game to be transferred to someone else, but it may be somewhat daunting for someone to pick it up mid game. Also there are a few idiosyncrasies that I did that would need to be explained, otherwise I hope to get a new comp as an early Christmas present, though things being what they are who knows.

If someone wanted to restart the game in some form I'd be up for joining as a player perhaps and turning this forum over to that person, depending on the time investment needed of course.

Offline Destra

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 02:05:25 PM »
Darn replies via cell phone, can't see the reply button :p

Anyhoof, I'm all for either, I'm still working on fleet doctrines for the veil but I could easily adapt to any faction if we restart, I just wana play! But I'd rather we keep with the trans newt start just for a quicker start to space if we restarted, and I'd love to be able to see what's going on in my empire by sharing the file if its password protected, otherwise I've no problem gettin the intel from the SM, either way I like a hands on approach and ill be quite active with orders and so forth.  Again when I'm done writing the doctrine the SM will or should have all the infop needed to deal with any situation. 

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »
I think I agree with Destra. A restart would probably be a lot less repetitive if we'd just start with basic trans newtonian tech. We could start with less bonus starting tech though? Basic trans newtonian start (0 RP) already gives you the basic tech of everything which might be 3x or 4x the tech of what we already researched in our few turns in the current game.
I don't really care though. Playing will be fun anyway. I think I'll keep playing as the NDR though, as the only other 'nation' I'd like to play as would be the EU, and I doubt shadownight would let me have Italy ;)