Author Topic: Change Log for 6.30 Discussion  (Read 31051 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Change Log for 6.30 Discussion
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »
it certainly makes the game quicker and gives you an edge over the NPRs. You could hit endgame TL pretty quick with a fitting scientists.

It's possible an NPR could start with an anomaly on their homeworld.

Steve

Offline Khanti

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2013, 08:07:47 AM »
Quote from: waresky link=topic=5731. msg63040#msg63040 date=1369498275
TEN Years ive been "Follow" Steve's Dream. . . 2003>>2013!!!! from early 1. 0 to 6. 3.

Waitn for :
TG icons on System Map (use real USA Navy icons)
Planetary map and Battle.
More easy and usefull Army system
Single ships with "Class" different map symbol, especially on System Map.  DOT r very boring now. . :)
Change from BLUE to DARK on System Map background.  Blue r coming from old game.
Enjoy on Italy vacation, Steve:)

Hm, quite a lot of time.  I am waiting just 4 days (started playing 01 August).   ::)

So are there any land units battles in Aurora now? Is there any usage for all those battalions other than police forces?

More colourful space medals project [WIP].

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »
I would like to see (as I have said before) a formation editor such as was present in Harpoon.  Or even one that just allowed you to specify a formation which did not require breaking up the entire taskforce and giving all the individual elements various oddball follow and such commands.

Unfortunately this is likely a bit complex from the programing point of view.

I would also like to see the civillian decision process improved.  Basically the use of flags could ensure that massive colonist drops didn't occur by first checking if space was available then going in order through the ships and assigning the job to a ship at a time with the amount of available space decreased by committed colonists between each ship check.  This would stop when the "available space" went to zero.  It is fairly straightforward subroutine logic I'd think and should be possible with only the addition of flags or else storage of a relatively small amount of information permanently.

I would also think that smaller firms would go after whatever profit they can, as at the moment I see goods that could be moved not being moved.  But have them look at moving the several tons of this or that from x to y rather than waiting for it to be greater than 10.

oh blast this is in the wrong thread...ah well....it should be in suggestions or requests!

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
One easy change I'd like to see is being able to set the Colonist source/destination/stable radio button at ANY population level, not requiring 25m on the colony before it becomes useful.  If I only want a 10k research population on a body, I should be able to do that without having to saturate my civs with contracts.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »
One easy change I'd like to see is being able to set the Colonist source/destination/stable radio button at ANY population level, not requiring 25m on the colony before it becomes useful.  If I only want a 10k research population on a body, I should be able to do that without having to saturate my civs with contracts.

The reason for this is so you can't completely control the civilian sector. It is supposed to function with some free will, whereas if you could set every colony to stable and only one to colonise, you would have complete control over it.

Steve

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
The reason for this is so you can't completely control the civilian sector. It is supposed to function with some free will, whereas if you could set every colony to stable and only one to colonise, you would have complete control over it.

Steve

That's fair, I guess.  It's only really bothering me because a) I'm running 5.6 still, which doesn't have the improvements in civ logic that makes them spread colonization efforts around some, so they focus on colonies in the order they were created and b) I have a colony on Mars that is supposed to be "evacuating" but if I leave the civilians to their own devices and turn off colonist transport to the moon, they will go full blast on Mars.

Perhaps it could still be locked when under 25m, but with the option for an SM-mode override?  I've tried setting the value directly in the DB but the code must update it in the UI refresh/update since it gets switched back as soon as I try to view the tab.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »
It's possible an NPR could start with an anomaly on their homeworld.

Steve

Sure but wouldnt the NPR need a AI update to fully exploit that advantage? IIrc. the NPRs take potshots at research not going with theyr strengths or mitigating weaknesses. Also the NPR would have to choose to colonize a available Anomaly if one exists in its systems depending on pros and cons.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2013, 01:26:44 AM »
Hm, quite a lot of time.  I am waiting just 4 days (started playing 01 August).   ::)

So are there any land units battles in Aurora now? Is there any usage for all those battalions other than police forces?

It depends how you choose to play the game. Quite a few people don't glass enemy planets, so then you need to conduct landings and conquer their worlds on the ground. However, it's also perfectly viable to slag most of the enemy army and then conquer their (somewhat) irradiated world with relative ease.

Offline wobbly

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »

Steve

Would you consider changing it to something like 50 mil / colony cost. So that say Mars & Luna could be stable at 25 mil. where as somewhere like Titan could be stable at about 7 mil. I'm sure places like Titan aren't the most attractive destination for immigrants & it would allow for smaller manned outposts as well as full blown colonies.

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2013, 03:46:31 AM »
Would you consider changing it to something like 50 mil / colony cost. So that say Mars & Luna could be stable at 25 mil. where as somewhere like Titan could be stable at about 7 mil. I'm sure places like Titan aren't the most attractive destination for immigrants & it would allow for smaller manned outposts as well as full blown colonies.

Another problem I recently found was that if you modify colonists on Earth, you can't get them to relocate until they hit 25 Mil with civilian colony ships. Also there are circumstances where you might want to evacuate a colony, leaving no one behind.
Maybe allow setting stable/immigration/emmigration for each population and introduce a number of willing colonists to go for a certain planet, if you have no more, no colonization will happen, so you can't direct it by closing down all other colonies. The number should probably be depended on colony cost of origin/destination and total populations.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2013, 06:18:59 AM »
it certainly makes the game quicker and gives you an edge over the NPRs. You could hit endgame TL pretty quick with a fitting scientists.
Or it will end up the other way around...

To get the bonus you can't keep all labs easily protected in one place anymore but are forced to spread out your population and labs to a much larger degree, meaning they are alot more vulnerable to NPR attacks actually making the game more of a challenge.

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2013, 09:08:25 AM »
Another problem I recently found was that if you modify colonists on Earth, you can't get them to relocate until they hit 25 Mil with civilian colony ships. Also there are circumstances where you might want to evacuate a colony, leaving no one behind.

Don't forget that you can use government-owned transports to move population around.  So this option is available for evacuating colonies.  (Plus, I think part of Steve's motivation here is that just because the government wants everyone to evacuate a colony doesn't mean they will....)

John

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »
Has Steve said anything about game optimization? Will the upcoming patch finally make the game use more than one core?
The gradually increase of time it takes turns to flip has killed my motivation to play this game.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »
Has Steve said anything about game optimization? Will the upcoming patch finally make the game use more than one core?
The gradually increase of time it takes turns to flip has killed my motivation to play this game.

Since it is still in VB6, I seriously doubt it uses more than one core.

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2013, 07:51:26 AM »
Since it is still in VB6, I seriously doubt it uses more than one core.

I think "will ever use one core" is a safe statement :)

It could conceivably happen in Aurora II, but that seems to have fallen victim to the innovator's dilemma (it's not cost-effective to do a complete rewrite compared to incremental improvements to the existing game).

John