Author Topic: StarFire Assistant newbie query  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Caplin (OP)

StarFire Assistant newbie query
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:11:01 PM »
Hi All,

I just downloaded SFA version 7.02, and have begun playing around with it. I also happen to be a more or less complete newbie to  StarFire as a whole, having only heard of it thanks to its mention in connection with Aurora.

I like SA a lot, it seems more user-friendly to me than the variety of spreadsheets which seem to be in vogue on the SDS forums at the moment, not to mention being very accessible with my screen reader.

I have Third Edition Revised, SM #2, and ISF from the SDS in PDF.

Is this all I need to make use of most of SA's features? Something which is rather frustrating to me about the books for third edition as compared with later products is that they seem rather scattered. SA seems to implement the CFN system from SM #2, not the original IFN from ISF, for instance. I guess I'm just trying to wrap my head around what I need from which book.

Thanks for any input. :)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: StarFire Assistant newbie query
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:27:28 AM »
The contents of SM2 supercede both 3rdRevised and ISF.  Beyond that you, since you're using SFA V7, the Unified Tech Manual(UTM) is also needed.  To my knowledge, SDS is no longer making the UTM available.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: StarFire Assistant newbie query
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 04:55:08 AM »
The contents of SM2 supercede both 3rdRevised and ISF.  Beyond that you, since you're using SFA V7, the Unified Tech Manual(UTM) is also needed.  To my knowledge, SDS is no longer making the UTM available.

The UTM is on the Classic Starfire Legacy CD (at the Starfire Design Store for 36 bucks)

CLASSIC STARFIRE Legacy CD

The Legacy CD is packed with all of the 3rd edition products that we have available: Tactical Rules, Campaign Rules (aka Imperial Starfire),
 Sky Marshal #2, Stars at War, Insurrection, Crusade, ISW 4,
and all of the downloads and materials to include the nexus articles and ECs from that period.
As a bonus, we've also decided to include the Unified Tech Manual (UTM) produced by the 3DG volunteer group.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany