Author Topic: What's the formula for secondary explosion strength for engines?  (Read 3749 times)

Offline NuclearStudent (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
I looked on the reddit and searched the forum, but I was surprised by the fact that I couldn't find the answer easily.

Anyone know? If not, I'll do some destructive testing of my own and get back to you guys.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: What's the formula for secondary explosion strength for engines?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:33:06 PM »
I can't find it, but have a suspicion that it's virtually linear with engine size, perhaps with a little randomness.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 07:34:01 AM »
I can't find it, but have a suspicion that it's virtually linear with engine size, perhaps with a little randomness.

Shouldn't it logically depend on engine power output rather then size? Aurora is often logical :)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 05:18:49 PM »
Well, searching the forum I found another question about it where they showed a 1500 power top tech level engine had a secondary explosion strength of only 20 or 30... so... I dunno. Unless someone finds the details buried in an arcane mechanics post, or steve shows up we'll need to science this.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline NuclearStudent (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 08:24:15 PM »
Well, searching the forum I found another question about it where they showed a 1500 power top tech level engine had a secondary explosion strength of only 20 or 30... so... I dunno. Unless someone finds the details buried in an arcane mechanics post, or steve shows up we'll need to science this.

I think that small highly boosted military engines had larger explosions than large civilian engines with roughly the same engine power, but I can't remember.

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 08:29:32 PM »
Okay so I did it, it's a bit sloppy (like this forum post is going to be, because I accidentally deleted the previous one), but the results seem consistent, so without further ado:

Engine size doesn't matter.
It's linear.
See the following graph (mean explosion damage vs. engine power):

The equation is:
mean explosion damage = 0.12 * EP + 0.81

And the standard deviation is likewise linear (I can pull up a graph if you guys want) and the equation is as follows:
stddev explosion damage = 0.07 * EP - 0.11

Also, as the previous post says, military and commercial engines might be different (I can test if people are curious), but I did all military engines.
I can also put the actual data up here if you guys want, but the means were all calculated from many explosions (between 30 and 336), most significantly more than 30.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 08:32:20 PM by Kytuzian »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »
Nice graph, were all the engines tested the same tech level? I Doubt it makes a difference because that seems to match up with what I would expect.

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 02:19:38 PM »
Nice graph, were all the engines tested the same tech level? I Doubt it makes a difference because that seems to match up with what I would expect.

Yeah they were all interal fusion confinement drives (I don't remember if that's the exact name, but eh). Power modifiers varied a little, but it doesn't look (at a glance) like any of the points are significantly out of line. Don't feel like doing a hypothesis test, so just going by sight.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:21:57 PM by Kytuzian »

The following users thanked this post: NuclearStudent

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 12:29:14 PM »
I suspect that the explosion of commercial engines is the same strength vs power, but just have much lower chance to happen ( Since explosion chance scales with power modifier it can never be above 5% ).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 07:54:38 AM »
Engine secondary explosion strength is random between 1 and 25% of engine power.

The following users thanked this post: MarcAFK, NuclearStudent, Kyle